Wednesday, July 27, 2011

OKLAHOMA CITY ...

The Oklahoma City Memorial

Middle of the night at my favorite place
The Embassy Suites
and
I just can't seem to sleep tonight
here in
Oklahoma City.

It may have something to do with the fact that hours were spent sitting in HOUSTON
awaiting the plane to arrive from Denver and San Antonio
to bring us
here to this wonderful city...
We were told the delay was a result of
weather in Denver!

However,
the more I have pondered it,
the more I came to realize that it was
more like the impact of realizing it had
nothing to do with the weather of Denver
but
once finally on the plane...
a young and anxious woman
sitting in the seat near me
let me have the real story!
Once in the air
her story was confirmed by a tired
steward who said,
"I can't wait to get to Oklahoma City,
cos' I've been flying since 7am and am more than ready for my time off"!
It was then he told me what had really happened to cause the delay.
It seems that the plane
that left Denver, was found to have
a nail in the tire!
That was the first major glitch in the system
causing my delay.
BUT
it gets a bit better.
Once to San Antonio as they prepared to leave for Houston, it was discovered the plane had
fuel leakage,
which required MAJOR repairs
forcing all passengers to sit on board while those repairs were made!
One more delay.
Seems the weather in Denver was as hot as everywhere else,
and
as we sat and sat, only to sit some more
our plane was suffering
rather major problems in both cities en route to us!

By the time we boarded and I became aware
of
what seems to be rather major issues
I looked at the steward
and
said,
"are we all good now?"
He laughed and said, "oh yes, let's go to Oklahoma City"!
I do love
SOUTHWEST AIRLINES though,
their staff is 99% friendly, helpful
and
with great humor!
Their planes are pretty, colorful and clean.
Their CEO has a message I can
get with and certainly admire.

Happy was I to touch down, get the rental car, only to get in it and realize it did not have the  trusty GPS I was promised,
so I finally made my way
to the ever lovely
and
welcoming
Embassy Suites!
Happy but worn out,
room service for me seemed the only way to spend what little evening I had.
But in realizing my gratitude for a safe flight,
I believe the most upsetting part is that
I had so hoped to visit and to absorb the
Memorial that I pictured above.
It is something I have wanted to see since it was done; to pay my respects and walk through such sacred grounds.
Maybe that is what is on my mind as I sit and think about all those precious lives
now memorialized in such a powerful way
as I try to think of how to fit that in
on my way to Tulsa after a day of speaking.
Some things are just important
just that moving.
It becomes an opportunity to not be missed.
And as I turned on the television here
I found a channel that talks all about
Oklahoma City, it's rich culture
"NATIVE AMERICA"
and
I wish I had more time to see the many things
that they speak of and show on that channel.
I can only imagine that I will be honored to meet some of
Oklahoma's finest in the mental/physical health professions today.
I look forward to hearing their stories
and
to sharing the messages
and hopefully enhancing their resiliency for the hard and challenging work that they do.
Many I'm sure still carry the trauma of that
day of The Oklahoma City bombing was a terrorist bomb attack on the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in downtown Oklahoma City on April 19, 1995. It was the most destructive act of terrorism on American soil until the September 11, 2001 attacks. The Oklahoma blast claimed 168 lives, including 19 children under the age of 6, and injured more than 680 people. The blast destroyed or damaged 324 buildings within a sixteen-block radius, destroyed or burned 86 cars, and shattered glass in 258 nearby buildings. The bomb was estimated to have caused at least $652 million worth of damage. 
The damage caused to the community, the people, the families and the Nation?
There is no price for that trauma and heart ache.
The memorial
is a sacred place of honoring, of remembering, of healing.
Oh how I hope to find a way to visit there
and to be still among such a powerful place of healing and the many who have walked those paths between those chairs.
If only for a little while, I am so close to being there.

This is a beautiful city; at least what little I have seen with my eyes.
BUT
the show I watched certainly puts it on a list of places to visit, of sites to behold and people to meet along your journey.
The Cherokee people are here, their spirit strong, along with the Western history
that now
is shared with some "hot jazz",
the OKC Thunder
and
just all sorts of stuff where the buffalo roam
and
they say the "swagger is hot".

Here's to all of you
dear gentle warriors,
may you have an unbelievable day today
while you remember those
who survived that day in 1995
and the many whose lives were lost
by such a destructive act
of terrorism
on our soils.

Thank you to our troops for fighting for our freedoms and to keep our soil safe.

As for President Obama and his fight now
with the senate and congress and the house.
Last I remember,
"he is the MAN of the house"
so it is time.
Time to cut/slash/end
 Congress/Senate and those on the hill with their benefits and elegant salaries of the people. Let's start there
and see if that doesn't decrease the debt
while assuring folks their Social Security
while reducing the debt and getting us back to a Nation to be looked up to.
Take your stand Mr President.
YOU inherited on helluva mess
and
not no one can undue the bell that has been rung of greed through the years before you ever thought of running for office.
So cut the top, and save the folks who are working hard for the money here
and
need medicine and food
rather than cigars and liquor while toasting their descent.

"That's all I have to say about that."
[me and Forest Gump]

The sage is filling this room and I am thinking of all the gentle warriors here and everywhere.
Sending healing thoughts and prayers on the winds today and always.

Walk In Beauty,
DRSES

author of
Healing Heartaches
stories of Loss and Life

Order yours here and mention you are a warrior of this page in the special instructions with your name and message, I would love to send a special thank you gift!





5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good goose a moose you nust have had a really long night! Yipes, no GPS, airplane repairs, 100 degree heat and a city with little to no time for exploration. Sending good energy and wishes for the rest of your adventure to be smooth sailing.

Irene M said...

3:33 AM ! Great googly-moogly, what a trip.
You wrote a superb blog this morning. I do hope you get to see the memorial. On that day in 1995, I was on a 12 day trip to Italy. We huddled around a small t v in the hotel lobby watching CNN breaking news, fearing we would not be safe returning to the USA. All is well in my Fla. world today, take care, be safe, keep in touch, I am me: IRM

Anonymous said...

Very touching, thought provoking words today. So many lives lost and so many lives forever touched by the evilness of some. I do hope you can visit the memorial and take in the specialness of it. I hope you do get some needed rest, perhaps a little nap can be worked in. Be safe, enjoy your trip and my thoughts and prayers are with you. Sandy♥

Anonymous said...

helloooo.
happy to hear of your safe arrival, sure
seems like angels are working overtime to help
make things right..
quiet day in my corner, resting after a trip home
to see Dad ( I miss him already) and for a family
wedding. Great times had by all... will be looking forward to hearing about all the adventures.
Tkae care all, you are in my daily thoughts,
hugging my angels, sign me,
A. ♥ ♥

Anonymous said...

I wanted to stop by and wish you all a very Happy Friday. Dr. Sherry, I know you are busy with your travels and speaking engagements. My prayers are with you that all will be well and you will be home safe and soon. I know there were many lives and hearts touched by your presence and message. I hope the weather is nice where you all are. We have had stormy weather for two days now but supposed to stop tonight and be nice for several days. Take care and enjoy your day. Sandy♥