Sunday, January 31, 2010

Gratitude ~ Gratefuluness ~ Goodness


"Never Believe That A Few Caring People Can't Change The World, That's All Who Ever Have"
(Margaret Mead)

This Sunday morning finds me with tremendous gratitude and gratefulness for all the goodness for all that is in my world; and to all who  left the wonderful and the funny comments to my beautiful Mom;
Dot Sowers for her birthday!

Yes, for as long as my thoughts have been filling this site, from those of humor to heartache to healing ways ~ ~ ~ her birthday tribute indeed has had the most comments to date! Isn't that a "hoot"!

And for that I am grateful, I am filled with amusement, much gratitude to those of you who took the time to write and to wish her a happy and blessed birthday. I am just tickled to death to those of you who wrote and had fun in doing so, kidding her even more about the stories; wondering about them, mulling them over and even wanting to have them be a source of intrigue... what fun!

I am reasonably sure that she let all of her friends across the country know that they should be checking out http://www.drses.blogspot.com/ and perhaps they will become followers as well; prompting them to join in with their comments! Who knows they may even buy their own copy of Healing Heartaches, wondering if their names will be inside the cover, or more stories of Dot and her antics will also be there. Perhaps the next book should include some of those ... ummm food for thought to be sure!

My thoughts of gratitude, and goodness fill my senses. We have seen so much of that recently. From relief efforts for Haiti to first responders leaving the comforts of family, work, warm beds to go and lend a hand... Celebrities opening their hearts and their pockets and giving their time and talents to raise monies for the great need that is there. Goodness abounds in times of great tragedies and crisis.

But goodness can be seen on a good day as well, we only have to look. Recently I was on Facebook and a person had posted that their beloved Mother had died after a long battle with Cancer. Within seconds the computer screen lit up from "virtual" friends posting their deepest condolences; people that didn't know each other taking the time to care, taking the time to acknowledge the loss, to express their deepest care. That is goodness and caring that extends across the world just as Margaret Mead spoke of in her quote.


Lily the Black Bear had her cub, in her den in MN. That little cub is 8 days old now!!! She would have had that cub without human intervention, without pomp or applause. But with the brilliance of research, the technology at hand; a world was able to watch, to become enchanted, to be captured... to become involved and to care. People across the world were able to come together in gratitude for a black bear and be not do for a bear! A few caring researchers allowing a few to turn into thousands who became "family" to a North American Black Bear who will never be the same now that they have watched, listened and bonded. They have heard a bear cub and the similarity of its sound, its sound that is almost human... and they cried a cry of joy and gratitude and goodness. They donated monies for research, for protection, for goodness in the world. Again this is what Margaret Mead talked about isn't it? Healing Heartaches... living in amazing grace at times with random acts of kindness and gratitude...
Oh yes... I must also tell you that Lily the Black Bear now has over 74,000 fans on her Facebook Fan Page... ok, yes 74,000, that is the right number, and NOOO she hasn't been referring her fans to my page just yet, but I am ever hopeful .... You can donate or see Lily and maybe catch a glimpse of the baby and hear those screams at http://www.bear.org/ if you are lucky. The Web Cam is live and of course always on here with DRSES! Yes of course I have ordered the T-shirt "Captured by Lily" haha. I will of course keep you updated on my beloved Lily The Black Bear though.

My 15 year old Godson, D'Vante stayed with Mom on her birthday... they rented movies, even a scary one that neither could bear to watch! He served her dinner and waited on her hand and foot... and they waited for the snow! They both probably fear they will be snowed in with each other for days... haha
Their bond is as strong as two peas in a pod, they fight ~ they love~ they have had a great time I am told. They have made memories for Mom's birthday and I am filled with gratitude for that and for his goodness and what I hope for his future. He has probably grown tired of her reading him the well wishes of those who wrote on the blog while secretly hoping someone will comment about him!

And so it goes... I have heard from some readers who have told me how they miss their parents, those who have died... how they wish for that one last conversation or good time they never had the opportunity for. For that one more moment, memories that they cannot find... I do hope they will remember to re-read the series on "The Forgotten Mourners" and feel free to comment on other topics that they would like to read on!

To those of you I say, look for the goodness, the memories that lay deep within... "sit with it" awhile, write about it, pray about it... it will come. Write down what it is that you are wanting and put that near your bed, read it before you retire for the night ... do this several nights and then just "be". It may just be that you are working too hard at "doing" and that is preventing you from receiving the gifts, the memories that you are seeking. In time, they will come... Trust that you are a survivor, you are the legacy, find the goodness, the gratitude, and be grateful that you have been loved and have loved.

So for today, I am grateful for all that is, has been and is yet to be... Yes, I am grateful for those of you have have chosen to spend these minutes reading this too! And thanks again, for wishing Mom a Happy Birthday, and between you and me... she usually celebrates for at least a week!!! So it's not too late to shout out to Dot... "Happy Birthday Mom" heehe

One more day til February ...



Walk In Beauty,

author of
Healing Heartaches, Infinity Publishing


11 comments:

Irene said...

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, big sigh
Full moon, deep breaths, January's over !
F I R M

Anonymous said...

What a great way to start this day, reading this blog. Like a breath of positive energy. Deep snow, hot coffee and Healing Heartaches. What a wonderful book. Borrowed it from my friend who was raving about how moving it was. Now I will have to have my own copy. So many friends that I want to share this special book with. I thought it would be about death and loss but it is about so much more. Life reaffirmed in every story. I have been so moved by it. I recommend that if others have not read it yet, they should. A beautiful tribute to love, hope and healing from loss. I feel like I am getting to know the author personally through the daily blogs. Yet another gift my friend turned me on to. Sending special warm thoughts out to other readers of the blog this freezing cold day. Stay warm, be well loved, and touch someone today that you love. Make today count for good.

Anonymous said...

Gratitude: We can be grateful and celebrate that January is over!!!! We survived another month! We can look at Haiti and be grateful we have clean water, a place to sleep, a toothbrush....and a computer.
Re Lily: There is a discussion thread where we post how we learned about LILY...I posted this site. You can go there and post this as your introduction to Lily....perhaps a few fans might find there way here.
RE: Random acts of kindness....if you live in a snowy area and are outside...consider bringing in the Sunday paper and mail for a widow/widower who has been snowed in for days and not speak to or see anyone for a week or more. Some of us older folk are told not to walk outside in the snow...yet I see all theses kids playing outside. Hope someone reading this brings my mail & newspaper...it would be a good random act of kindness! I try to think of random acts of kindness I can do...I always let people go in front of me at the store.
Re: Healings Heartaches...such wonderful beautiful and poignant stories....the stories remind me of The Wizard or Oz or fairytails....
I agree with the post above me..."Make Today count for good." Even if we have no humans to love or be loved by we do have God.

DrSES said...

Dear Anonymous! You have made my morning as I drink my coffee on this chilly Florida morning!!! I am honored by your words and so hope that you will tell me who you are when you order your autographed copies of Healing Heartaches at www.healingheartaches.com !!!
I look forward to autographing the book for you and hope you will post a review on Borders and btbow.com for others to read. The above will be just "perfect indeed"....
You my dear are "da bomb" haha and have just made ole Bearly Bear's day to be sure!
Blessings to you and yours today and once again I thank you for your words, I was overwhelmed once again when I read them. STAY WARM wherever you are today... old man winter sure has a wicked sense of humor this 2010...
DRSES (you touched my heart, please thank that friend of yours for me!)

Unknown said...

I keep your book on my dresser standing up. The cover is so beautiful. I love the book. I encourage EVERYONE to get a copy. It is an awesome read. It really is like have a conversation with a friend. Read it, gift it, borrow it if you must. Share this title. Our Boarders has it on back order already. Best Seller List, here it comes!

Angie said...

Good Morning Cuz....My book is also on my night stand and I read it every night before closing my tired eyes. I love it and appreciate it more and more page by page.
Loved the blog about Auntie Dot...she is an awesome woman who if she survives the weekend w/Ode should win some kind of award. Have received emails from her after the midnight hours which is not at all like her. Still probably having nightmares from watching "Halloween".
All this dang snow has kept us from taking Auntie Dot to Outback to celebrate but as soon as the weather clears enough for her then we will go and we will think of you and Bun every bite we take!!
Hope you have a warm & blessed day~
Much Love
Angie~~

DrSES said...

hahaha, thanks Dorothy Brown... for those who have read Healing Heartaches, you know that Dorothy is a tad prejudice and has her name in Healing Heartaches! and, she along with Godson D'Vante rushes in her spelling... Boarders? heehe.... but we all know what you mean my dearest friend! Speaking of Borders... call your local Borders and ask when will they have Healing Heartaches available in their stores... perhaps even ask if they would like to have the author there for a book signing! Tell em you have an in and just may be able to talk to the author about that! hahahaha
Life is a daring adventure or nothing at all my friends, Walk In Beauty
Thanks Dorothy! Oh My... remember when we had to chose that photo of Mom's hand for the cover out of all those many pictures (more than 250 if memory serves me right)!!!

Anonymous said...

Dr. SES, I hope you saw the beautiful moon last night. I had to walk out in 10in. of snow just to see the moon. How beautiful it was shining on the beautiful snow. I am so grateful my neighbors are down this morning shoveling out my driveway. You talk about Random Acts of Kindness. It is 17deg.. Enjoyed your blogs today and each day. I will be calling Borders tomorrow to see if I can purchase several books for friends who will enjoy it as much as I do. I have read and now in the re-read stage. Keep on Keeping On.

Anonymous said...

To last anonymous....I think it is so wonderful that your neighbors are shoveling your snow! Can someone enlighten me how to find people to shovel my snow. I am willinmg to pay them. Good random acts of kindness: shovel someone's snow if your health allows....go door to door and see if someone needs snow shoveled....bring in piled upo newspapers for a neighbor....the snow is a good opportunity for random acts of kindness......you do not need to go the Haiti to help....help your neighbors here. I tried internet searches....how do people find snow shovelers....

Anonymous said...

There is magic in these blogs...at 10:00, I posted a random act of kindness: bringing in mail/newspaper for widow/widowers who cannot walk in the snow due to health issues. Magically....2 hours later, my doorbell rings with people worried about the pile up of newspapers. Faith is restored!

DrSES said...

WOW, WOW, WOW, WHAT A WONDERFUL DAY! WHAT BLESSINGS ABOUND, EACH AND EVERY COMMENT A BLESSING, EACH AND EVERY WORD SAVORED, ENJOYED AND APPRECIATED....

TO ALL I SAY, "thank you, bless you, and have faith"! Random acts of kindness, the ability to "pay it forward" is remarkable...

If you can, perhaps printing this blog and handing it out to others with the comments or sending it off to your local paper will encourage random acts of kindness in your communities, schools, Lions Club... you may be able to offer hot chocolate to those with shovels in hands and good hearts a thumpin as they lend a hand while restoring your faith in humankind.

My heart is full, sending thoughts of warmth and hugs to all over the wind today ~ ~ ~