Monday, February 1, 2010

KINDNESS ~ Random Acts !

Me & Mom
aka:
Bear and COB!

Happy February 1, 2010

OK, I must begin this day by telling you of the events of yesterday...
My little Gypsy fell in the pool! Not just in the pool, but in the DEEP END OF THE POOL!
Now, I am not sure if it was the sound of "splash/kerplunk/glub-glub/splooch" or if indeed it was Jeepers barking an alarm or that of Magic sounding the big barks of alarm...
But I leapt from my chair as a Mother Bear from her den, over the top of the nearby chair enroute to save my baby Gypsy cub...
Mind you it's darn cold here in Florida and I was in sweats, sweatshirt, and slippers...
And there was my little cub pomeranian Gypsy trying with all her might, little nose showing as her paws slapped the water in the DEEP END with Jeepers and Magic on the sidelines barking their brains out and me out of my mind, unable to speak, to think, but in auto-pilot a Bear ready to protect...
Without a thought, without a moments hesitation from my moments before leap across the chair...SPLASH, yes into the frigid waters of the pool Bear DRSES went to rescue and protect the baby, the 4 pound Gypsy ...
brrrrrr: baby that water is cold!!!

So let me tell you folks, Gypsy and I were shivering the shivers of ages... and dripping all over the place. Now talk about "random", two weeks two poms fall in the pool? C'mon now... haha
But this time, I had to jump in water that has to be oh so cold? OK, Magic has been in the pool, he doesn't like it, and he stays away, although in the summer I do at times conjole him to the pool from time to time for a laugh or two! Patches has yet to fall in, so we have that to look forward to! But now the little ones have taken the polar bear plunge that we all read about humans doing in the artic air and waters, only this time, little Gypsy had me right there with her!
Gypsy is okie dokie, I am fine; we both are bathed, warm and just fine... I'm sure my back ache will go away and if not my wonderful, and gifted
Dr Gallagher in Palm Harbor will fix me
once he stops laughing about it all!
Bear (me) and cub (Gypsy) have lived to tell the story. Jeepers and Magic are laughing themselves silly now that it is all said and done (as are some humans around here). Patches, the black/white and possibly autistic pom/papillion (have just decided she has that papillion gene in her; I'm pretty sure of it  now) I think is Autistic as well, but we love her, and we take her on her terms... well she slept through the whole thing! Heaven forbid that she be bothered by such things!
Wouldn't want to disturb Ms. prissy Patches!

Now onto our blog for today, with Gypsy in my lap, Jeepers beside me and Magic doing what Magic does... patrolling the pool! haha
Oh yes, Patches is napping now,
in her princess bed of course!



The fun continues with the guesses continuing to come in as to why Mom is called "COB"... and yes, her birthday tribute got the most comments to date!
Feel free to continue the guesses in your comments, but so far no one has come close, remember when you see her along your travels to say hello...

But today my thoughts are filled with gratitude for the comments of yesterday's blog... the wonderful and heartfelt resiliency of the human spirit as folks wrote of  "random acts of kindness"!

It make me remember a time when the family was here in Florida one summer... Mom and the Grandsons D'Vante and Kamryn. We were having lunch at a little place called Captain Jack's that sits on the water in Tarpon Springs, enjoying the day; looking out at the boats docked there while having burgers and cokes. All of us just wishing we could be out on one of those boats and Kamryn voicing that very wish when a young man overheard him as he sat with his chicken wings nearby. He was having a beer and chicken wings, and seemed amused at the antics and conversation of both the kids! All of a sudden he struck up a conversation with us about seeing dolphins out on the gulf and how wonderful it was there. Kamryn's eyes were sparkling and his laugh lit up the air. We were having the best of days at ole Captain Jack's joint!

This young man then introduced himself and asked if we would like to go for a ride in his boat!!! How long do you think it took to say... YES!!!

Of course Mom being the ever wonderful Mom was sure to write down the registration # of the boat and slip it to our waitress letting her know if we didn't return in an hour to have someone come find us!!! I still laugh about that! After all, if you can't trust a boater, who can you trust ... right? heehe
However it was a brilliant move on ole Cob's part I must admit.
So off we went; joyfully on a boat ride, with our new found friend who abandoned his beer and chicken wings to take us to see the dolphins and a remarkable sunset on the Gulf of Mexico!

Now how's that for a random act of kindness? Kamryn and D'Vante wanted him to "go fast please, faster, faster, faster... while COB was content with idle, idle, slow no wake please, while I was mindful of this kind man and the joy he brought to us all, asking nothing in return except perhaps a word or two about how very awesome his boat was! And his boat was sweet indeed!

But yesterdays blog and the many and varied comments filled my heart, warmed my soul and as one reader commented restored my faith... Old man winter isn't finished with us yet... we haven't had February and if I remember right we usually have snow up North around the 14Th...
so here's what I'm thinking... and I posted this to an anonymous reader I believe!~

Perhaps if you print these last two blogs and send them to the schools, the local papers, the communities and groups around your areas; they in turn will let others know about ways they can engage in "paying it forward" lending a hand with random acts of kindness for those who could use a hand... and no, this is not a marketing technique, not a plug for Healing Heartaches! This is but another thought for quite simply us to be our best selves.

Here in Florida we don't need others to shovel our snow, but we could benefit from someone who sees a trash can in the road to stop and bring it to the garage door or curb! We can all join in the greater circle of hope and healing by being a part of solutions rather than contribute to the gripe/complainers and problem clubs of the world. Perhaps bring a paper to the door and then just go away! We could all stand for someone to just say, "Hello and smile", to nod their head and smile", it only takes seconds and costs not a cent!



  1. Snowing in your area? Driveway preventing you from leaving home? Call your local community centers, schools, boy scouts/girl scouts/American Legion/Lions Club/Rec Centers/Volunteer Groups and ask for some help. Put on some coffee, hot chocolate as a way of saying thanks!

  2. Need your paper brought to the door? Call the paper and tell them that you cannot get to the street and need the delivery person to BRING IT TO THE DOOR!!! After all you are paying for delivery.

  3. Out and about? See a paper laying on the sidewalk? Maybe the person inside is having a rough day... take it to the door and quietly walk away after laying it at the door.

  4. Out and about? See the trash can laying on its side in the road or at the curb? Pull over it will only take a minute! Take the can to the garage or yard, get back in your car with a smile on your face and drive away knowing you will have restored the faith in someone when they go to retrieve it!

  5. See someone struggling with groceries at the grocery store? Ask if you can help! What is the worse that can happen? They will tell you NO or to mind your own business.. and that in itself will be funny!
I am reminded of a visit when Mom was here, and ole' Cob went to the grocery store! She decided to practice her usual random act of kindness by assisting an Elder in the parking lot with her shopping cart... upon asking if she could help, the woman replied to my Mom by saying,
"What the hell are you saying to me, do I look like I'm so old that I need help, you are as old as I am!!!"

Now I have to tell you, when Mom returned home and re-told that story, we laughed until we cried... the thoughts of it still make me laugh. So be prepared folks, not all attempts at these random acts of kindness will be met with gratitude or appreciation!~ But the important thing is... you will have done them, and they will have come from a pure place in your heart, and that is all that matters!

So for today I thank you for reading the blogs, for your great wishes and guesses of COB and to Mom for her birthday... and to those who have purchased Healing Heartaches, I thank you for reviews....
Keep comments, keep believing, and most importantly:

"Keep your head held high, even when your butt drags the ground" (Granny)




Walk In Beauty

author of Healing Heartaches, Stories of Loss & Life

order your autographed copies: ship in 48 hours!




4 comments:

Irene said...

Yes, I do believe in paying it forward.
I assisted an elderly couple in the gas station recently. They were having extreme difficulty with their card, swiping it and
the actual pumping of the gas. I felt very good leaving that station. No ugly comments,
either............ HAPPY FEBRUARY !

Linda said...

Yesterday I believed in magic. Concerned neighbors brought my paper and mail to my door...and shoveled/broke up ice. This did not look easy and once there was a safe area to be..I spoke with their children. They were hungry. Well...I could afford to give the parents some money for shoveling...who confided a job loss and the need for groceries. They worked hard to make sure my driveway was completely free of any ice, so I could safely walk to my mailbox. I watched through my window as they returned from the store with many bags brimming to the top with groceries! On a side note...the gentleman lost his high paying job and all he could find was a few hours a week at Borders! Not a bad place to work...they have Healing Heartaches!
Many challenges await me...though my faith is restored!

Vicki said...

Sherry,
I could just picture you jumping into you pool!
I am still laughing...but I hope you don't catch a cold from that! I know I would...
Keep up the blogs...today was a great laugh!
Have a great day!

chris said...

just the thought of you jumping in and saving your little cub--then standing there dripping water everywhere--OMG--thanks I needed that laugh today!