Thursday, May 3, 2012

NYC Taxi driver story. Just have to share it.

Have you ever been to New York City and had the distinct opportunity to ride in a taxi?
If not, you certainly have missed something to be certain!
Yesterday I came across a story; one that filled me up, so much so that today I will share it here,
and it serves as a powerful reminder that
EVERY DAY IS A GIFT
and ways we can move
to pay it forward.
I've certainly been reminded of those very gifts as this page has been filled with our Warriors STOMPIN and paying it forward by taking some time to communicate here with right way relations of support and authentic caring for and about each other.
Yes my cup runneth over with love for each of you!
Oh it just makes me wanna SHOUT
and
STOMP all over the place
with joyous noise!
Can I get a witness as mamapatti says?
Let me send out some love
to Ali and her beloved Dad today;
to soldier O'Brien out in Texas fighting Cancer and needin our prayers and strength,
to EE in Colorado who is needing our strength, encouragement, and prayers, along with her beloved son CJ who is the light of her life and caregiver, now having some major health issues as well.
We are a powerful force to be reckoned with here on this page and in our Universal Connection through the Creator...
so we are STOMPING together
to let all know,
we are holding YOU and thinking about you always.
Now about those taxi's in NYC
and a man who was driving one,
and the gifts, oh those gifts of wonderment,
and joyous refrain if we but take the time, make the time; to open them.
One that we indeed get to choose to open as a delicous fragile package that can be life changing, if we but take the time.
Here's your gift for this day;
I hope you will savor it
will allow yourself to visualize it
and as for me?
I gave great thanks to the taxi driver
and his most beautiful passenger.
Here you go,
hope you are ready to
krumple a kleenex on this most remarkable day as you read his story:
A NYC Taxi driver wrote:

I arrived at the address and honked the horn. After waiting a few minutes I honked again. Since this was going to be my last ride of my shift I thought about just driving away, but instead I put the car in park and walked up to the door and knocked.. ...
'Just a minute', answered a frail, elderly voice. I could hear something being dragged across the floor.

After a long pause, the door opened. A small woman in her 90's stood before me. She was wearing a print dress and a pillbox hat with a veil pinned on it, like somebody out of a 1940's movie.

By her side was a small nylon suitcase. The apartment looked as if no one had lived in it for years. All the furniture was covered with sheets.

There were no clocks on the walls, no knickknacks or utensils on the counters. In the corner was a cardboard
box filled with photos and glassware.

'Would you carry my bag out to the car?' she said. I took the suitcase to the cab, then returned to assist the woman.

She took my arm and we walked slowly toward the curb.

She kept thanking me for my kindness. 'It's nothing', I told her.. 'I just try to treat my passengers the way I would want my mother to be treated.'

'Oh, you're such a good boy, she said. When we got in the cab, she gave me an address and then asked, 'Could you drive
through downtown?'

'It's not the shortest way,' I answered quickly..

'Oh, I don't mind,' she said. 'I'm in no hurry. I'm on my way to a Hospice.

I looked in the rear-view mirror. Her eyes were glistening. 'I don't have any family left,' she continued in a soft voice..'The doctor says I don't have very long.' I quietly reached over and shut off the meter.

'What route would you like me to take?' I asked.

For the next two hours, we drove through the city. She showed me the building where she had once worked as an elevator operator.

We drove through the neighborhood where she and her husband had lived when they were newlyweds She had me pull up in front of a furniture warehouse that had once been a ballroom where she had gone dancing as a girl.

Sometimes she'd ask me to slow in front of a particular building or corner and would sit staring into the darkness, saying nothing.

As the first hint of sun was creasing the horizon, she suddenly said, 'I'm tired.Let's go now'.
We drove in silence to the address she had given me. It was a low building, like a small convalescent home, with a driveway that passed under a portico.

Two orderlies came out to the cab as soon as we pulled up. They were solicitous and intent, watching her every move.
They must have been expecting her.

I opened the trunk and took the small suitcase to the door. The woman was already seated in a wheelchair.

'How much do I owe you?' She asked, reaching into her purse.

'Nothing,' I said

'You have to make a living,' she answered.

'There are other passengers,' I responded.

Almost without thinking, I bent and gave her a hug.She held onto me tightly.

'You gave an old woman a little moment of joy,' she said. 'Thank you.'

I squeezed her hand, and then walked into the dim morning light.. Behind me, a door shut.It was the sound of the closing of a life..

I didn't pick up any more passengers that shift. I drove aimlessly lost in thought. For the rest of that day,I could hardly talk.What if that woman had gotten an angry driver,or one who was impatient to end his shift? What if I had refused to take the run, or had honked once, then driven away?

On a quick review, I don't think that I have done anything more important in my life.

We're conditioned to think that our lives revolve around great moments.

But great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.


Every day IS a Gift,
enjoy yours dear hearts.
STOMP

Walk in Beauty,
DRSES

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful story. Not what you imagine when you think about NY cabbies. A guy with a tender heart , a woman who literally had the ride of her life. I wish we were privy to all the stories of kindness and loving, caring moments that we rarely hear about. Thanks for this wonderful story and all that it holds. I hope each of us here are inspired to some random act of kindness today. I know I will look for an opportunity to give and receive the gift that today is.
Thank you for moving us doc. You always do.

Irene M said...

What the hay day are you doing UP at 3:45 in the AM writing a story that would require a big " DYS" ?
Such a great story of kindness, a turn-around life experience. See, there ARE good people left in the world. Big head that I am, I am one of those people who continually go out of my way, over and beyond what usually busy or emotionally vacant/selfish ones would just walk by a situation or simply say "NO" I cannot help you.
But, the goodness is gettin' old, I am feeling too much is too much, so I must find the balance of taking good care of me FIRST and then helping others. Yes or no?
Can I get an AMEN ??????
Stayin' FIRM like ICESCREAM

fluff said...

Dr. Sherry, what a beautiful story of love and care. My heart is truly touched this morning. Like was said, sure wish there were more people in this world like the cab driver. Prayers today for Ali and her dear Dad and for our new friend Brian fighting the fight of cancer.

Take care friends and have a Wonderful day counting your Blessings. /Sandy♥

Dot/MOM/Cob said...

Every Day is a Gift and you gave us all a gift of that beautiful story about the taxi driver. Yes it was tear time but also a lesson to be learned on the treatment of people all people in all walks of life. We dont know the burden of others we see so it is better to be kind and help along the way. Just remembering being in NY and the taxi drivers make me shutter. How they dont kill someone is beyond me and if their horns failed what would they do? LOL. To Brian, than you for serving our Country and you are in my prayers. Ali and Dad thank you for caring and keeping your Dad at home with you. You will never forget the kindness you did for him and for yourself. There is lots of mouths running and sitting on butts, dont let it get you down just go on and I know you will remember what your heart tells you when you look in your DADs eyes. Prayers to all and thanks DRSES. Will watch for the moon. Blessings

Dot/MOM/Cob said...

Spelling error, should be Thank You Brian.

DrSES said...

Great to see all here and yes #1 anonymous... can u imagine in NYC... the ride of her life and the gift of his... INspired I was to random kindness here at the time of the super moon...
@ Irene, yes kindness. and good people abound... to answer your guestion, there is never enough, but a time to balance with self care and continual good deeds and acts of random kindness... so yes, a "what what" to taking care of you and STOMPIN on for others...
@Fluff I bet the trauma center in Detroit is rockin and not to the sounds of Motown as the moon is already showing an impact on many across the lands... blessings to you and condolences to your friend in her loss out there dear one.
@ Dot/MOM/Cob, every day is indeed a gift to be certain, a time to count blessings and to lend a hand always... blessings to all there, and see the moon we'll be looking at it together, hope you are with Kamryn when you gaze, just like times before, with stories rich and hearts beating as one.
blessings to all who gather here

WARRIORS ALL.

oshkosh said...

YES, YOU HAVE MY 'AMEN' IRENE,FOR WHAT IT IS WORTH! BRIAN IS A SWEET HEART, AND STANDING FOR HIM WE ARE!! THAT ALI STILL ON MY HEART, AND ONLY WISH I COULD DO WHAT SHE NEEDS DONE, THE WAY SHE WANTS IT DONE. THIS BLOG IS WONDERFUL, AND I JUST HOPE THE TAXI MAN WENT TO VISIT HER EVERY DAY, AND TOOK HIM AND HER LUNCH, AND SAT AND VISITED WITH HER OVER LUNCH, OR AT LEAST GO SEE HER. I CHOOSE TO BELIEVE HE DID. AS FAR AS THIS DRSES LADY--SHE ALREADY MADE ME SHED TEARS AND SLING SNOT ONCE TODAY, (REALLY GOOD GOOD TEARS, WHERE I COULD UNDERSTAND SOMETHING, THAT I NEEDED TO UNDERSTAND, AND I THANK HER AGAIN). HOPE THE 'BOTTOM LINE' E-MAIL MADE ITS WAY THROUGH, AND SHE MADE ME FEEL SO GOOD, I CLEANED MY WHOLE BIG HOUSE, AND IT WASN'T EVEN DIRTY!!!! LAWD, IF THE CREATOR WOULD HAVE SEEN FIT TO MAKE ME LOOK EXACTLY LIKE MY WONDERFUL PATTI LABELLE, AND GAVE ME THE BRAIN AND HEART OF DR. SHERRY, NOBODY WOULD BE SAFE!!
CAN YOU VISUALIZE THAT COMBO????
LYM DR. SHERRY, AND I LOVE ALL YOU GUYS ON HERE AS WELL. A BUNCH OF FINE PEOPLE, YOU ARE!!!!!

oshkosh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
oshkosh said...

I sent my own self a comment,how that happen--I don't know--deleted it. Really savy on this day---must be that moon!!!

Anonymous said...

hellooooooo.
love the cabbie story.. read it a while back and yes, it touched my heart. I do not have much in this
material world to claim, nor to give away... however,
I do have ME, and each day, yep, flipping them da#@ ! burgers I have the chance to reach out and become a part of many lives. Lots of elderly people (@ FIRM.. " QTIPS ) .. I am fortunate to have come to know.. lots of them I have known as couples and in the years gone by have seen lots pass to that next place in time... when I see someone out alone, I try my hardest to make time to stop and chat, give a smile and lots of hugs... I know I am thinking " if this were to be my Mom or Dad ?? would someone take the time to share a bit of brightness with them ??
I am blessed beyond words that they welcome me..
Lots of prayers, and warrior power out to Ali, Brian, EE and her son.
We are a powerful people here, and I am proud to be amoung thee..
STOMP !
hugging my angels, ♥
sign me , A.

Anonymous said...

[url=http://MirSkidok.ru/oae/]отдых в оаэ[/url]
[url=http://MirSkidok.ru/tailand/]отдых тайланд[/url]


Компания MirSkidok.ru осуществляет деятельность на рынке услуг уже более десятка лет, осуществляя совсем новый подход к решению такого важного задания, как организация отдыха. В сети работает команда специалистов высокого уровня, имеющие многолетний опыт в сфере туризма.
Основные принципы работы MirSkidok.ru состоят в индивидуальном подходе, внимательном отношении к любому клиенту, продавая качественные услуги по наиболее доступным ценам. Во всех офисах MirSkidok.ru общая база предложений, которая периодически обновляется, поэтому цены во всей сети одинаковые. Чтобы стать счастливым обладателем лучшего тура по наиболее невысокой цене, достаточно поинтересоваться, где располагается ближайший офис MirSkidok.ru.
В концепцию развития компании входит определённое число поставщиков туристических услуг, чтобы качество и класс обслуживания оставался постоянно на высоком уровне. Мир Скидок является профессиональной сетью турагентств, которые специализируется не лишь на одних «горящих» турах, путевках со скидками и бонусами на приближающиеся выходные или праздничные даты, но также и на турах с ранним бронированием.
Число клиентов MirSkidok.ru неумолимо увеличивается с каждым днем. В планах Мира скидок - активно развивать сеть по всей России, внедрять интересные проекты для более комфортабельного отдыха клиентов.

[url=http://MirSkidok.ru/kuba/]стоимость путевки на кубу[/url]
[url=http://MirSkidok.ru/turciya]туры турция 2013[/url]

Anonymous said...

[url=http://MirSkidok.ru/turciya/]путевки в турцию цены 2013[/url]
[url=http://mirskidok.ru/tailand/]отдых тайланд цены[/url]


Компания MirSkidok.ru работает на рынке услуг уже более десятка лет, осуществляя кардинально новый подход к решению такого важного задания, как организация отдыха. В компании работает команда специалистов высокого класса, имеющие многолетний опыт в туристической сфере.
Основные принципы работы компании состоят в индивидуальном подходе, участливом отношении к каждому клиенту, предоставляя качественные услуги по более низким ценам. Во всех офисах MirSkidok.ru общая база предложений, которая постоянно обновляется, поэтому цены во всей сети одинаково низкие. Чтобы стать счастливым обладателем лучшего тура по наиболее невысокой цене, достаточно знать, где находится ближайший офис MirSkidok.ru.
В концепцию развития торговой марки входит определённое число поставщиков туристических сервисов, чтобы качество и класс обслуживания оставался неизменно на высоком уровне. Компания является профессиональной сетью турагентств, которые специализируется не лишь на одних «горящих» турах, путевках со скидками и бонусами на приближающиеся выходные или праздничные дни, но также и на турах с ранним бронированием.
Число клиентов компании неумолимо увеличивается с каждым днем. В планах компании - активно расширять сеть по всей стране, внедрять следующие проекты для более комфортабельного отдыха клиентов.

[url=http://MirSkidok.ru/kipr/]кипр из СПб[/url]
[url=http://MirSkidok.ru/kurorty-ispanii/kosta-blanka/]коста бланка[/url]

Anonymous said...

[url=http://MirSkidok.ru/kurorty-turcii/antaliya/]анталия турция[/url]
[url=http://MirSkidok.ru/kuba/]стоимость путевки на кубу[/url]


Компания MirSkidok.ru работает на рынке услуг уже более десяти лет, осуществляя совсем новый подход к решению такого немаловажного задания, как организация отдыха. В компании работает команда профессионалов высокого класса, имеющие большой опыт в сфере туризма.
Основные принципы работы MirSkidok.ru состоят в индивидуальном подходе, внимательном отношении к каждому клиенту, продавая качественные услуги по самым низким ценам. Во всех офисах компании общая база предложений, которая периодически обновляется, соответственно цены во всей сети одинаковые. Чтобы стать покупателем лучшего тура по наиболее выгодной цене, достаточно знать, где располагается ближайший офис MirSkidok.ru.
В концепцию развития торговой марки входит ограниченное число поставщиков туристических услуг, чтобы качество и уровень обслуживания оставался неизменно на высоком уровне. MirSkidok.ru является профессиональной сетью туристических агентств, которые специализируется не только на одних «горящих» турах, путевках со скидками и бонусами на ближайшие выходные или праздничные даты, но также и на турах с ранним бронированием.
Число клиентов MirSkidok.ru неумолимо увеличивается с каждым днем. В планах компании - активно расширять сеть по всей стране, внедрять интересные проекты для наиболее комфортабельного времяпрепровождения клиентов.

[url=http://MirSkidok.ru/kipr/]кипр туры[/url]
[url=http://MirSkidok.ru/dominikana/]туры в доминикану[/url]