Tuesday, December 29, 2009

COUNTDOWN TO THE NEW YEAR!



Granny was "da original bomb"

This photo is in Healing Heartaches and speaks to the memories and the wonderment of Granny! Her spirit lives on through the stories and through the lives of those who love her!

I have read the comments of readers and cannot help but be curious as to how many people actually do read these blogs... but I suppose I will never know just how far these blogs actually travel! To those who are reading and those who are commenting, I thank you!

Healing Heartaches, Stories of Loss and Life is available on the website and now on Amazon.com as well. Of course if you order on the website listed at the end of these blogs, you will have an autographed copy! Autographed books are indeed more valuable you know...

Happy Birthday to Mary Tyler Moore who was born on this day!!!

This takes me to my thoughts for the day... I began this as the countdown to the New Year as we are but 2 days away from 2010!  This is usually the time when people are reflecting... thinking about the things and ways of the past year; all those many thoughts of what has been so to speak. And in doing this, it becomes also that time of "resolutions" for the New Year!
The problem with "resolutions for the New Year" as I see it... folks just bite off more than they can reasonably chew... they resolve to lose 100 pounds in 4 months; they resolve to stop smoking in 6 weeks; to stop eating chocolate in 1 day; to lower their cholesterol in two weeks by eating 5 bowls of cheerios a day; buns of steel if we but watch a video for 30 minutes a day for six weeks!  And so it goes... Disappointment is a bitter pill to swallow when things don't work out the way we hope and in the fast lane that we want to travel. Remember, we live in a fast paced world of fast food, high speed Internet and "git er done" mentalities. This may be one of the biggest reasons that we also have such difficulty with loss and grief issues... we are used to fast results and have little patience when things and issues take more time than others or than we think is reasonable!

Friends and family grow tired of hearing our stories; tired of hearing our troubles... they do not know how to help us! When we fall short of our self-imposed goals (often unrealistic to begin with), we then feel we are at fault! We find depression, sadness, and misery become our closest companion... Remember the expression: misery loves company???  Try not to make that expression your truth...

The best resolutions may be those that involve:
  • SELF CARE
  • BEING GENTLE WITH YOU AND OTHERS
  • EATING WELL
  • REGULAR EXERCISE
  • GENTLE STRETCHING
  • JOURNAL WRITING IN A NOTEBOOK OF YOUR THOUGHTS, FEELINGS, DAILY EVENTS THAT ONLY YOU SEE
  • JOINING A SUPPORT GROUP IF YOU ARE GRIEVING THE LOSS OF A LOVED ONE AND ARE SEEKING SUPPORT OF OTHERS WHO ARE WALKING A SIMILAR PATH
  • LAUGH OFTEN
  • LEARN TO PLAY
  • GET A MASSAGE, PEDICURE, MANICURE
  • DO THINGS THAT MAKE YOU FEEL GOOD
  • READ AND WRITE YOUR THOUGHTS ABOUT WHAT YOU READ
  • TAKE A WARM SOAK, AND THEN WATCH WORRIES GO DOWN THE DRAIN
  • DEDICATE TIME FOR  RITUAL
  • BELIEVE YOU ARE A SURIVOR
  • LAUGH, LOVE, LIVE YOUR LIFE WELL
  • PRACTICE RANDOM ACTS OF KINDNESS
  • TAKE A RESPITE FROM YOUR PAIN TO CARE FOR OTHERS
  • BALANCER SOLITUDE WITH SOCIABILITY
  • AGAIN... STEP GENTLY INTO THE NEW YEAR!

I welcome and encourage your comments here.

Walk In Beauty


author of
Healing Heartaches, Stories of Loss and Life




7 comments:

Irene said...

My mornings would not be complete without reading your daily blogs..... I read and sometimes re-read them to set my pace for the day. I comment occasionally and do appreciate them every day ! Keep 'em coming !

Anonymous said...

Helpful blog...while I very much respect all the letters following your name, even though the "B" stands for "board," rather than "bear,"I feel I should comment about eating, exercising, and chocolate...etc. Simply walking around the block one time, landed me in an emergency room. We need to exercise per a medical doctor ( even if we are more fond of natural and holistic healers) We need to choose our food under the care of a medical doctor ( I happen to now have a cardiogist who wants me to eat plenty of potato chips and french fries for potassium/salt) and lots of chocolate for the magnesium. I would rather eat cheerios. So..I respect all those letters...but maybe some people like me need to hear we need medical doctors to help with food and exercise. Glad the blogs are on the longer side, I am sure to find something helpful. The best thing about reading these blogs/commenting on your page is that someone I did not know sent me a message saying they were sorry for my loss...I passed it on to someone else and asked them to pass it on.....

Anonymous said...

At least we have a Blue Moon to guide us into the new year. There are so many horrific things in this world, though I cannot find anything bad about the moon. So, to all those who have not been out of the house in days, weeks, or months...to those who have not heard their voice in days or weeks...to those who have no human beings to say Happy New Year to, at least we have the moon. For that, I am grateful.

Anonymous said...

My best to all your readers for a happy and fufilling new year. I too have nop complaints about the moon, and am sorry about the poor soul who must suffer the chips and chocolate diet. Must be rough. Speaking of fruitcakes and the holidays. This has been very meaningful, reading your blogs, and writing my own journal. You book is WONDERFUL. It helped me in many big and small ways. Keep writing.

Vicki said...

Sherry,
This blog today is so true....and one which I try and follow! Well manicures & pedicures anyway...and ohhh chocolate! LOL
I am almost half way through your book and lovin every minute of it....I should have finished it already but have been so busy...it is 8:15pm and I just read the blog and am still at work!
I hope to be able to finish it by the New Year!! It has to make the best sellers list!

Thanks & keep them coming!

Anonymous said...

Think it is a really good list of resolutions or goals to get us started. I'm adding nature to my list. Especially the Moon we can all see on New Year's Eve..it's already looking pretty special with a very big aura. Maybe the Moon and lose are things that every soul that finds themselves here have in common. Just cannot think of anything bad about the moon...nice predictable phases...guiding our way...sometimes with a special halo or aura. Sun may burn our skin, wind may knock us down, snow makes travel difficult...but the moon is a gift. I already know for a fact that there are many people who will be alone on New Years and have no one to call or even e-mail...so to all of you, I suggest we look at the moon...the very cool and smiling Blue Moon just might smile and take our blues away. Happy New Year to all...in fact I see the smile already.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sherry and blog readers. I read your blog often, not every day, but catch up on all your posts at once when I do. You write like you speak, full of warm and humor. I also finished your book and found it very helpful, especially people and situations you brought to life in the stories.

A word on resolutions. I prefer to call them goals. A goal I strive for and know it is in process - a resolution I tend to break and then give it up.
Jean