Saturday, February 6, 2010

CANCER Sucks ~ Part III


An Eagle When She/He
Flies

The many faces of Cancer in all forms, types and treatments will find those who face illness, diagnosis, treatment choices as varied as the disease itself. As one reader commented yeserday, this series is indeed challenging, she wrote that she did not quite understand why one must fight a disease... Perhaps one can "embrace and just sit with a disease" I guess, but that has not been my experience with Cancer. It would appear that those dealing with Cancer mostly become pro-active, they feel a need to control the disease rather than be controlled by it! In most cases that requires a warrior attitude, a postive mental attitude as one woman named Denise once told me, "I have my PMA Sherry, my postive mental attitude each day when I go for treatment". So it may be that the reader is having difficulty with my choice of words rather than with the attitude that comes with a Cancer diagnosis and plan of those who are affected and infected; both the patient and those who love them.
But one thing is certain... I've been honored to meet many many people in my lifetime with this disease, many who are left behind to grieve those who have died...

Tonya Mae is but one of the survivors, one of my heroes who faced and fought Cancer head on... yes she loved and laughed, painted the toes of her beloved friend Elke, she read to her, stroked her head and said all the things that she could think of as she prepared to touch, hold and love her on this earth for the last time... she ached for her, cried for her, mourned for her... She had her lovely back made into a tribute to her; an outward expression of her pain and her grief! An ever present reminder to all that would see it that yes, CANCER SUCKS, but beauty of Elke will live on strong as she was a warrior with beauty, softness and lovely painfulness.

I know other such survivors; they too walk with pride, with confidence, one such survivor now cares for her spouse who also is a survivor of Pancreatic Cancer, who has just lived through the "Whipple Surgery" with his pancreas removed! Two Cancer survivors under one roof.... coping with four years of Cancer and threat of loss, illness and continual stress, constant doctors appointments and times of holding their breath awaiting PET scan results, blood tests... The resiliency of the human spirit indeed is alive and well in Northern Virginia! She even took her little teddy bear to see her brilliant oncologist and he got a great kick out of the bears t-shirt which said, "F*** CANCER"! He liked it so much in fact that he had a nurse take a picture of him holding the bear and standing with both Cancer survivors on each side of him. Just imagine that... an oncologist with two patients in one room, married to each other... both survivors!!!

And then I stop by and say hello yesterday to my dear Lovie, now if you read Healing Heartaches, you will know who Lovie is... and it is during the visit she tells me that her husband and she had just recently seen the doc who let them know that (whew...) her husband is now 7 years CANCER free !!! Yet another SURVIVOR and yes, CANCER sucks... the years of holding the breath and prayers of no return of this devastation and three generations of family that is still intact!

If you remember, I posted not so long ago of a woman who emailed me to let me know of her gratitude since I had been holding her in a white light of healing ... she had her final chemotherapy and PET scan which revealed NO CANCER... and was emailing all in her faith community and all that she knew... She would hopefully still be here to share memories of her son while being here for his children as they grow and learn and laugh!!!

I remember holding Walter in my arms until the Angel took him from me, gone to soon a young boy died from Leukemia; his Mother standing beside me unable to let him go; entrusting Bearly Bear to hold her precious child. He was ready, he knew that he would be embraced by light, love and the angels would take him, and they did. CANCER SUCKS.

Three of my buddies on Facebook posted this week that their beloved family members had died of Cancer ... they were preparing funerals, preparing to say final good-byes, their hearts were heavy.
CANCER SUCKS.

My deepest condolences to those who have lost loved ones to Cancer, to sudden and traumatic death. My heart aches for your loss.

I am closing my thoughts today with the picture of the Eagle that I took while boating with my dearest friends Laura and Mitch on Lake Tarpon... today my thoughts are of Tonya Mae and all the survivors of Cancer, the loved ones of those who have died and those who have fought the fight with Cancer...

Dolly Parton wrote and sings a fabulous song, titled "Eagle When She Flies". This song has very special meaning to me, personal meaning that I won't go into hear. If you haven't heard it, you may want to go youtube.com and type in the title and hear Dolly sing it a few hundred times!!!

Here's the lyrics...

She's Been There, God knows she's been there
She has seen and done it all
She's a woman, she knows how to
Dish it out or take it all
Her heart's as soft as feathers
Still she weathers stormy skies
And she's a sparrow when she's broken
But she's an eagle when she flies

A kaleidoscope of colors
You can toss her around and round
You can keep her in your vision
But you'll never keep her down
She's a lover, she's a mother
she's a friend and she's a wife
And she's a sparrow when she's broken
But she's an eagle when she flies

Gentle as the sweet magnolia
Strong as steel, her faith and pride
She's an everlasting shoulder
She's the leaning post of life
She hurts deep and when she weeps
She's just as fragile as a child
And she' s a sparrow when she's broken
But she' an eagle when she flies


I wish you enough.

author of Healing Heartaches, Stories of Loss & Life







6 comments:

Irene said...

The photo of the Eagle, the song by Dolly,
I seem to remember during one of the Star group
sessions, you played that song for us. If not,
then I dreamed you played it. Cancer sucks parts I,II& III were very good. You touch on subjects that touch mostly all of us.
Thanks, Sherry, for your words today & everyday
FIRM has a good BP

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing such a moving...did I mention moving song! Ah ~ This is just a perfect song for me today and I do pray it touches many others as well.

In addition to writing about Healing Heartaches, you incorporate current events into your blogs. Allow me to add one: Superbowl Sunday.

For many years, my partner and I attended Superbowl parties and were quite famous for our trays of chocolate covered strawberries. ( Strawberries are usually quite abundant this time of the year in FL)

Well...the last few years, I find myself completely alone on Superbowl Sunday; no one to watch the game with or even call on the phone. Even with a medical doctor as my advocate ~ who gave me the phone number of a center showing the game for those all alone in this world....I was told I would have to show ID at the door. Too young for a senior center.

While cancer does not discriminate...those left behind are discriminated against.

Yes...It is very easy to engage people in public places. Just yesterday, a woman asked me what "par-boiled" rice was. Seems I cannot go into a store without someone questioning me. This lady did not invite me to a superbowl party.

Other then forging or getting a fake ID....I see no solution than to spend yet another Superbowl all alone and it is too painful to watch the game. I did spend all week with my "positive attitude" looking for a place.

Sherry says people do not know what they do not know. As someone who is so richly blessed with family, friends, and colleagues...can she understand that no matter hard they try, there are people completely isolated in this world.

If we are left with no partner, no family, no job, fixed income, and poor physical health...why are we discriminated against, simply because we are not a senior.

Back to the song...it is deeply moving and I hope many listen to it.

Vicki said...

Sherry,

Great post today and am helping & watching a 40 plus year old young woman fighting cancer as I type this...she has no family, no money because she can't work) and the eviction notice has been filed. Her church can't help her as they would have to help everyone else...Pasco County is suppose to help with first, last & security but she doesn't want to move out of where she is and doesn't have the strenghth...A real mess right here in Pasco County...so it is one thing to fight cancer with Insurance and family and a roof over your head and another to be in her place...
Cancer Sucks...yes...
Love the song and yes you did play that in the 'Star Group" as I remember...tell Irene!

Anonymous said...

Hi Vicki,

I will hold you and the woman you are helping in my prayers. I commend you for helping someone, as well as them for "fighting."
Very grateful that woman has you to help her.
Yes...it is very different to fight cancer with insurance, a family, and a roof over your head. Yes, I have learned churchs can't help you because they would have to help everyone.

Where would that woman be without you?
That is why some of us do not believe in fighting cancer. And trust me...it is very hard to find doctors willing to let "suspicious" tests slide by....until you convince them you have no family or community support.
I will continue to hold you and the woman you are helping in my prayers. I am grateful that I have at least one of the things you mention.
Yes....cancer does suck. When will people realize it is not our fault if we do not have family and are too sick to work.

Blessing & prayers to you and your friend

Anonymous said...

Did the Creator of All allow Cancer as well as Earthquakes and Snowstorms....so people could learn compassion?

Anonymous said...

Tis is to the person who is watching the Super Bowl alone. I have found thru out the years when a love ones dies and leaves the other alone family and friends sometimes forget about what the person left is going thru. It is sorta like when a person is sick their friends pull away like they could catch the disease just by visiting. I have also found when a person passes your friends feel threatened to invite you for visits, movies and other activities. This is so sad and most times we have to do what is best for us. Find a good YMCA, some activities. There is friendship and help somewhere. We just have to go find it. Good Luck and Blessings