Monday, February 15, 2010

Perhaps We Have Forgotten...


"Too many misinterpretations have been made...
too many misunderstandings" (Chief Joseph)

Perhaps we have forgotten, forgotten what it feels like to be at peace and enjoy quiet times; to enjoy the differences of opinions; the thoughts of others and the fiery and lively discussions of those we meet!

We may sometimes become afraid to walk quietly or to jump loudly along the way, to hear our thoughts and allow for the thoughts of others; we are often afraid to stand still in the quietness and just "be" while letting what is going to happen just happen on its own time and terms. Many find that during those "busy times" there is often little time for "matters of the heart". But when you find the body-mind-spirit connection lined up; when you open yourself to the endless possibilities of you... that is when "the matters of the heart" will will allow you to know that it is all OK~ It will often happen when you can focus, when you you are quiet inside; when all those thoughts, feelings, pains and fears find their way to you.

After the death of a loved one or a major unsettling in ones life (illness, threat, loss, move, separation, divorce, tragedy) we are thrown into a state of "dis-equilibrium" our of balance with our world... When quiet and alone many find the stillness is uncomfortable. There was a time when the quiet was welcomed, but that is quickly forgotten by many... but can you remember those times?

Many have forgotten... It may be that the quiet times allow for time to trust surprisingly on "yesterday", somehow remembering intensely those things that maybe never were! Sort of like the thought that "the grass is always greener over the septic tank" as Erma Bombeck used to tell us! We see ourselves differently, than ever before; find ourselves wishing, if only... if things were resplendent in our lives; the present day situation withers in contrast. We may often think beauty; happiness or harmony will never find us again. I believe that it never left us!

On the other hand; if things were not so beautiful in the past; our relationships, our lives... then we are consumed by those feelings, we often unknowingly find ways to hinder beauty from being a part of our lives. It is a difficult task to make the decision: "I will keep what is worth keeping and release the rest". That thought requires us to center ourselves on what we are thinking about during the journey of not only now and then but most importantly NOW! 

We must be cautions not to beat ourselves up along the journey; not to wear our hearts on our sleeves, but keep it beating strong within our chests.  It we have ever felt worthy, felt blessed, enjoyed the quiet times or experienced happiness... it is possible to do that again. Yes, there will be a learning curve of understanding how to do things differently than ever before, yes there will be times of great missings and three steps forward and one step back, and yes there will be times of making "choices, and absolutely there will be a time to really get this message, "We need to learn to live with the hand we have been dealt"...

Life is too exquisite to not find beauty and enjoy the active fluidity of movement that is swirling and dancing within and around you balanced with the quiet times. Try to remember this, and I feel certain that you can:
It is never too late to search for rainbows while learning to appreciate and dance in the storms. It is with grace and splendor to watch the majesty of the winged ones, the four-leggeds and the dolphins... It is with humor to engage in comments, conversations and book clubs with those who will disagree and teach and agree...

"House of dawn... restore my feet to me... Happily I recover... my interior becomes cool... As it used to be... I walk... In beauty it is finished". (Navaho Prayer)

Walk In Beauty,







4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I pray this blog is getting few comments because we are putting into action it's profound message...enjoying the stillness, the quiet and the majesty on this earth. When I read this blog much earlier...the work NOW stuck out at me.
I made a choice to make today, the 6 year anniversary of my husband's death a beautiful day. This included buying a bunch of daffodils, heart healthy goodies, and watching the geese and ducks around the lake. I was enjoying the stillness and the quiet...when I got a call that my aunt just died, under the care of Hospice. She was calling my husband's name the last few times we spoke. So, yes, my balance is now thrown off...though I chose daffodils, walnuts, dark chocolate, and honking geese...stillness and quiet, one never knows when they will get a call.
Before anyone calls me any insulting names...there is not another person I can call to help me and it is my job to support my cousin via lost distance ( Skype) Hospice commends me for my long distance support.
So....when you read a comment here or you encounter someone going about your day, you never really know what their day held.
My prior plans for this evening included talking to Borders about letting The Healing Heartaches Bookclub meet there. Win-Win situation....they sell coffee & books and the group can grow bigger than my house.
While this may seem off topic.....the prayer is extremely important...."restore my feet to me." And keep "restoring my feet to me."

Irene said...

I don't know what to say about today's blog, or the comment by anonymous.
I am unable to be still, quiet or at peace
right now. Perhaps tomorrow.

DrSES said...

I applaud your choices for your day... and your aunts' choice for her day of homecoming as you walked and embraced the lake and its splendor... Walk In Beauty, through the storm, always looking for rainbows while taking care of you, your heart and taking best care of you along the way.

Borders for a Healing Heartaches book club? I am deeply touched and honored! I hope they will be having Healing Heartaches on their shelves by the time you are finished singing its words! haha

Celebrate you in all that you are and all that you choose to do ~ Enjoy the spring of daffodils and thank you for commenting.

DrSES said...

For some I am being told that coming back to these thoughts can be a good thing! It allows one time to think about it, to "sit with it" if you will ~ time to process your thoughts, to allow the messages to sift in and settle...

Perhaps Irene will re-visit the thoughts and then have a better go with her thoughts of the day and find her words to comment... Usually there to comment I certainly hope that she will ~ ~ ~ Walk In Beauty,