Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Ways to Promote Healing Heartaches & Thoughts On Grief/Growth/Healing

Ah, But those were the days!
Women from Hospice
Back In The Day!

I read an article yesterday about "blogging"! It said. "the best way to get your blogs read by folks is to have a long title, and the best way to get people to know about your book is to promote it in catchy titles"! SO HOW DID I DO?
hahaha

Those who have read Healing Heartaches will recognize this photo! Who is the grand dame of Hospice? Who is the author of Final Gifts? Who is the woman who celebrated her birthday yesterday? and... who is the author of Healing Heartaches?
REady.... Set.... go! Isn't this fun?


***********************

Just a thought or two for me and you:

I find that if you do searches on the Internet you must use caution as to what you put in for information... I was doing a search on "health insurance" this week, and inserted my zip code and date of birth for information; I repeat information only.  Within hours my phone began blowing up with phone calls from insurance people calling regarding my "inquiry about insurance"! The last one that called took the cake as I answered the phone and said, "Hello, I am not interested in insurance", he said, "then why were you doing a search", I said, "because I can and did not realize it would result in my phone blowing up," HE SAID, "well I HOPE YOU KNOW NOW" (in a snotty voice/tone)... Fireworks went off in my brain, I said, "Do NOT EVEN get an attitude with me my good man, YOU called me remember?  At that point I think we hung up on each other!!! 
MORAL: be cautious when doing Internet searches... how did they get my phone number I wonder? Of course it did not help that this all happened at 0730AM...

And then... I hear from a woman who tells me that she is being treated poorly... that she is amazed at man's inhumanity to man... reason? Greed! Ugliness!  And to her I say:  Karma is a B**ch... and will come round quicker than you can imagine at times like she has described. Set yourself free, keep the faith, keep your head held high... (*who said that?)

***************

The comments from yesterday were wonderful, were interesting, were heartfelt across the winds. COB still has the record comments for one day, and NO... no correct guesses on that yet!

Lily the Black bear and cubbie are doin' great... baby makes the funniest of sounds and vocalizations, hope you have had the opportunity to meet them at http://www.bear.org/


************

It is amazing at times, how feelings & memories just pop up and overwhelm the senses, leaving us weak in the spirit when least expected. People just going about their lives, not thinking out loud about the pain of loss or struggles they've known, not feeling "out of control", just living their lives the best way they know ~ and then it happens.  Something so strong that leaves humankind feeling weak in the limbs and oh so alone and vulnerable. Finding that once again there feels like control has been lost, feeling again bewildered by tears, thoughts and those old feelings of grief; sometimes reeling out of balance with the world around you.

It is during those times that people may feel once again sequestered and alone in their pain... I have good news this morning:  THESE ARE NORMAL POWERFUL EMOTIONS IN THE JOURNEY OF LIFE!

Rather than perceiving this as a "breakdown" perhaps it is a "break-through" of long held pain; or pain not yet expressed/felt. It may be that the hardest lesson in life to both learn and to accept is the reality that we often have little control of things that touch and affect us in our world.  We can control our reaction to those things though... and so it is good.

Try as we might, there are and will be things that will influence our equilibrium. It would be comforting to think we could control all aspects of our lives, but not realistic... best to settle with mastering your remote control!  You may determine you have the most control in the safety of your home where you can feel somewhat in control of what/who you allow to enter and what you listen to and watch on TV, what you choose to eat and who you choose to talk with on the phone!  Even then there may be times when you long for another to hear your pain or hold your tears or your fears at bay...

We are truly communal by nature, needing others more times than we like to think! By extending your heart and hand to others, your heart and hand become filled by others.  With others you can share your pain and your joys, and receive the many gifts that others hold ready to give.

Remember those random acts of kindness? What act of kindness have you in mind for today?

"It may be that some little root of the sacred tree still lives" (Black Elk)

*********************

Wherever you are... whatever you are doing.....................

Be blessed~

Walk In Beauty


DRSES



Healing Heartaches Inspired Jewelry by Joan

http://www.etsy.com/shop/jgrusso2010?view_type=gallery



9 comments:

Linda said...

Ah...I love challenges!
Off the top of my head, I know the author of Final Gifts is Maggie Callanan. She also wrote Final Journeys. They are both great easy to read collections of poignant stories!
I taped a quote from Final Journeys to my bathroom mirror:
"Grief will control you less as you express it more"

So, I'll add a challenge to Sherry's questions:
Find a way to express your grief.
I've been aiming high...could we make a list of 100 ways to express our grief?

Some of us need to get groceries before more snow...and letting the person behind you go in front of you is an easy random act of kindness!

I saved the rest of Sherry's qusetions for another reader.........

viridian.com/greendays said...

DANG IT - I KNOW WHAT COB STANDS FOR , JUST CAN'T REMEMBER THE "C" OF IT- IS THERE A CONTEST ???? IF SO, I WILL RACK MY BRAIN TO REMEMBER. NOW ON TO A MORE SERIOUS NOTE;LAST NIGHT OLYMPICS, HOW DID SHE DO IT AFTER LOSING HER MOTHER 2 DAYS EARLIER? GOD BLESS HER, JUST LIKE S.E.S SAID IN TODAYS BLOG: "It is amazing at times, how feelings & memories just pop up and overwhelm the senses, leaving us weak in the spirit when least expected.I KNOW IT BROUGHT UP DEEP, STOMACH SICKENING FEELINGS ABOUT LOSING MY MOM AT A YOUNG AGE-SHE WAS AMAZING, MY HEART BREAKS FOR HER. LETS ALL SEND HER SOME LOVE AND PRAYERS.

Anonymous said...

Dr. SES.....Happpy snowy day to you. My random acts of kindness today: I took my friend to the Dr. and after her test we found out everything was in good shape. We love the doctor and he and I danced and sang to my friend a tune letting her know the test was good. What a wonderful doctor. He had also read Dr. Ses Healing Hearts book. He said it is a great book and he is so happy to have read the book.

The other random act of kindness was to stop and get mail out of boxes to take to someone who just had operation. I love to do these kindness acts. I even pay for food in a fast food line to someone in the car behind me that looks like they need an Act of Kindness. We need more kindness in todays World. Keep on Keeping On.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Pretty Lady Eileen. I guessed that when I saw the Up North. How blessed we are to have you as our Mentor and guide all of these years. I live close to Virginia Tech. Va. Maybe one of these days I can get a phone call and I will even take you to dinner. Hugs and love to you always for hanging in there for all of us. We love you.

Anonymous said...

We need to think of our safety when doing random acts of kindness.
Something I learned the hard way: Those people that have signs that say, "Will work for food,"....hmmm...please do not actually invite them to your house to work.
Since a post above me mentions taking someone to the doctors...here is a simple act of kindness that is really appreciated. If your doctor seems hurried, frazzled, and you know is behind because some doctors need to visit ER's....you can say...take everyone else before me, I will wait until the end. This once had a great snowball effect as we were having such a great time sharing our "scars" no one wanted their turn and the doctor actually got to eat lunch.

Anonymous said...

Good Job on a long Title for this blog!!!!
Now if someone knows what COB stands for but can't remember the "C" part of it,
what if she shares what she knows so the rest of us can come together as a community and figure out the puzzle. As in teamwork....working together towards a common goal.
Back to the title of this Blog...or at least part of the title, "Ways to promote Healing Heartaches." Put the book in someone's hands.
Just trust me on this, please. When someone asks what you are reading, hand it to them. AND.....you better be ready to answer their questions!

Anonymous said...

I know what the "c" in COB stands for but it would not be fair if I ruined it for everyone else by giving away the secret.... so sad, oh well, it's kind of an old fashioned word if that helps. And yes, prayers to the little ice skate. What a beautiful tribute to her Mom for her to follow her dream in spite of her heavy heart.
As for the idea to put Healing Heartaches in the hands of someone who asks about it.
Awesome idea! I can do that. The image of the doctor dancing with good news is fun and wonderful. Great and fun comments today. Love the participation of other readers.
Sorry to those up north anticipating yet another winter storm. Really, enough is enough.
Anyway, great blog, great comments, great day.

Anonymous said...

YEAH! I'm doing a happy dance!
JUst found out Lily's cub is a female, a baby girl!
Just what we were hoping for; as a female she will stay in the area and the researchers will be able to continue studying baby girl and her relationships with Lily and the rest of the Shadow clan!
Happy thoughts to sleep upon.
Sweet dreams to all!

DrSES said...

Happy dance for Lily's baby girl.... IT IS OFFICIAL WE HAVE A CUBBIE GIRL ~~~~~ ALL THAT ENERGY FROM ALL OVER THE WORLD ...

WE ALL KEPT SAYING "IT'S A GIRL" AND IT IS!!!

YAY~!~~