Thursday, April 22, 2010

OPINIONS... EVERYONE SEEMS TO HAVE ONE OR TWO!



Just a thought or two...Opinions, We All Have Them


Let’s talk about opinions. Everybody has one, or more. Why is it that other people think that if we don’t embrace their opinion we are somehow diminishing their value as a human being? This is nuts. An opinion is just a point of view. An opinion is a suggestion. By definition, a suggestion is one idea, one approach. One idea among many. We are under no obligation to act on every suggestion we hear. We need not fall into lock step and wholly agree with every opinion uttered, no matter how adored the source.

I can fully respect the person who offers it. I may even want to solicit others opinions from time to time. But in the asking, I am not signing a contract to act on the suggestion.

The source of the opinion may hold great value, I may truly, deeply treasure their insights, their suggestions and I still might no go with it. I often have my own idea. I might find the opinion of others to be just this once, dumb. It might even be the best idea in the entire world, but I am fully entitled to dismiss it if I so choose.

I admit, sometimes I ask someone their opinion and immediately ask myself why. I might be, occasionally, just wanting to validate the wisdom of a forgone conclusion I already hold. Opinions can be garnered to for alliances; to challenge ourselves; to look at an issue with a new slant.

Let’s not take it too personally when we have given our opinion and it is dismissed out of hand. Ever heard someone utter with complete dismay, ” they asked my opinion and then did the exact opposite”. Been there. Are we taking ourselves too seriously. I’ll grant you that it might be confounding if someone started the conversation with a cross your heart promise to do whatever you say, and then they don’t. But really, when we are asked for our opinion, or a suggestion, our idea, is it necessary that it be strictly adhered to?

The point being. Whatever course of action one chooses, this is not the sword to fall on. Don’t get mad if you have taken the time to offer up a considered suggestion and someone fails to utilize it. It is only one opinion. You’ll have another one. Maybe a better one. Maybe it will resonate in a different situation. If you choose to respond to the request, don’t hold the listener hostage to your offer. No good can come from the emotional angst you will put yourself through, if you take this as personal rejection. See it for what it is. A question, or solicitation for input. You have offered yours with an open mind and heart. No strings attached.

Set yourself free. Another opportunity will present itself soon. You can consider it a simple exercise for your mind, not binding arbitration.

I’ll hop down off this mini soap-box now. Feel free to offer any opinion you want, and I will thank you, and make use of it should I so choose. This is full reciprocal. If, or should I say when, I offer you my opinion, when I give you a suggestion; you may use it or not.

I will still treasure you, either way

yesterday found me in the wonderful company of Audrey Spicer and her daughter Happy... what a reunion... what a time we had. The evening reunion with a cherished and long time friend Pam, many many years since our paths have crossed... we picked up on the conversation just like it was yesterday... Her baby boy last I saw him was in a jumping jack contraption, bouncing almost to the ceiling... now a Navy Seal, serving proudly defending our Country, been to Iraq multiple times... wow... where has the time gone?


The fire is burning, the embers are hot... thoughts on the wind to those who know who they are... to those who have asked for thoughts, for strength, for HOPE in healing, for remembrances...
For those fighting the battle, the struggles, the warpaint is on, your angels have you wrapped tightly in their arms of HOPE and inspiration... Stand strong, fight on...

STOMP, CELEBRATE YOU, STAND STRONG


Wherever you are, whatever you are doing, do it the best way you know how....

Take best care of you today...

Walk In Beauty,
DRSES
author of
Healing Heartaches, Stories of Loss and Life

Book signing today~
http://www.drsherryeshowalter.com/

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I gladly, fully, frequently share my opinions, even when they are totally unsolisited. No pride in ownership for me. I just blab them out and indeed am amazed that anyone, I repeat, anyone, would design to ignor them. Don't I always have the best, most wonderful insights? How funny am I. Have to laugh at myself. You are so right! LOL at my silly self.
Double cream in my coffee this mornig. Try it, you'll like it. See what I mean? Bet I chuckle everytime I do this all day. Good to not take ourselves too seriously. Uh Oh, here comes another one! Doc enjoy the book signing today. A bunch of people are going to get very lucky to meet you in person today, and walk away with their very own copy of Healing Heartaches!

Irene said...

Opinions: my sharp tongue goes on & on at random, but I know WHEN to shut it off
This comes with age, wisdom and the learned ability to know when ENOUGH is said, be a good listener. They will do as they please, anyway ! Too short for the " soap-box "
Liked the picture on today's blog, almost gave me a seizure, though ! Thursday's mission:
TO ROCK ON, SHAKE 'EM UP & PLOW THRU my day.

Anonymous said...

"Truth" is a word that should never have the word "the" in front of it. Each of us has our own truths, and if asked (or sometimes, if not asked!) we will share them. But they are ours alone..even if someone "buys in" to your truth, your opinion, they will make it their own and it won't be quite the same as yours. This comes from everyone seeing things from their own perspective....so have some pride in ownership....but understand that it is not something that can translate in its entirety to another person.....just sayin'

Have a great day all!

Anonymous said...

My OPINION
I have truly enjoyed each day all of
your OPINIONS
this is what makes the world go round...
how boring if we all thought the same thoughts
Have a great day
MANY great angel arms are surrounding you
this is Wicked COOL.... in my
OPINION.....

Anonymous said...

Opinions, opinions, I think that is a great way to express one self. That is right you either like it and use it or just put it in the box for a later time. Sometimes the opinions we make the other person has not thought of them and they do appreciate them, other times they just STOMP and laugh. Good luck today Doc and have a great time with old friends and new friends. The angels are around you.

Anonymous said...

More food for thoght. Agree with the blog and all the comenters. Love to hear others opinions but don't always take their advice. Don't mind giving my opinion and usually don't mind if it is ignored. Usually....
STOMP on, the day is yet young. Got the nightlife to conquer.

Anonymous said...

Opinions, yes there are many and I have lots of them. Let me tell you about this little guy called Otey. Now I gave up my free day to pick him up at 7:30am. to take him to the dentist, this is the one who looks in the mirro and he sees his pearly white teeth. Those beautiful dimples, what could be wrong? Could he not be the one who brushes his teeth? Should we give our opinion and say did you brush the teeth, why did you have 4 cavities??? They are pretty, he said the dentist it had no problem about brushing it is something that happened. Ok, then we will leave and go to the Dr. who checks the knee because he has had a football injury. The Dr. looks at the leg and he says he needs to do this and that in order to play football(here is another opinion). He also ask how much do you weigh and that is a loaded question. He tells him of the dangers of over weigh and suggests things to do. We leave the office and this is someone who wants to learn to drive. I pulled over to the side and said ok drive. He was puzzled and said you mean it and I said show me your stuff. No permit you know, we top the hill on a main road and guess what there is a blue light going with a 18 wheeler pulled over, he turned white and said what do I do and I said look in the mirror and give a left hand signal when there is a car stopped on the right. He was a little scared and told me that he may need some more driving lessons before on the street. The high light of this story is he said YOU ARE A CRAZY AUNT AND A REAL COOL PERSON. I cant wait to tell Buddy Pal. I think we will stick to the parking lots where there are no cars. This is my opinion and I am sticking to it. You go girl, Dr. SES