Thursday, April 29, 2010

SNEAKY GRIEF ~



At the End of The Day
"Wado"
Is All That Is Left To Say


It's morning... darkness is still here from last night. I await the Universal Oneness to amaze me this morning by doing it again, by bringing up the sun in all its wonder.
The coffee is hot, its smell delights my senses. So quiet, even the birds are still sleeping. (so are the four leggeds) sshhh, I am savoring the moment...
Almost ready  to get back into the "STOMP OF THINGS" now that I'm unpacked and have just about "caught up" from being gone! Much to do, many thank you cards to write!

Thinking this morning about our ole' friend grief, and the many ways grief finds its way to us. Sometimes strong and head on... and then again sometimes subtle, coming on in little ways, but there are times that grief catches us by complete surprise, "sneaky grief" at times!

Health care providers, hospice workers, those who work with patients and families are always working and walking with loss and grief issues... they are the ones that I love talking with at seminars, at keynotes. Sometimes they too "don't know what they don't know"... they are so very busy, doing more with less these days, but make no mistake, they too are warriors walking with cumulative loss and grief.
Funny how we forget, they are like the rest of us!
HUMAN~

I see the light of morning beginning to break through the darkness... don't you just love that? oh my where was I... oh yes, SNEAKY GRIEF! LOL

Grief Can Be Sneaky




Let’s talk about that sly little thief of joy we call grief. It can sneak up on us when we least expect it. Someone uses an expression that was a favorite of our loved one and we suddenly find ourselves undone.
We hear a favorite song, or a ballad that holds special memories and we feel tears dribbling down our cheeks. We look at a picture, or find an old shirt in the back of the closet, we are, long after we think our grief work is done at a festive gathering and feel absolutely bereft. Alone. Surrounded by useless frivolity.
 We are suddenly so sad, so utterly and absolutely isolated from everyone.
That my friends is grief at it’s finest. Yep, grief may even make us think we have “lost it altogether.
That we will never fully heal. That we will be at it’s mercy forever. Not true.

After all, shortly after the death of our loved one, and indeed for some undetermined time afterward, the people that know us well, and care about us, give us some time and space to honestly grieve.

But later, when even WE think we are over the hurdle, have come to terms with our loss, have found our balance and have even rediscovered some joy. When we least expect it. A set back.
Not a break down, well, maybe a melt down, but we find we are right back at that awful place where our grief is somehow raw again.



Does it ever end? Yes and No.
We are never “over it”. With time and work, we GET THROUGH IT, "who you are is not who you've been and you can't go back there again", remember reading that?We are not the same person we once were.
Loss and Grief changes us forever. BUT, although our loved one died, our relationship with them lives on forever... Hearts that are connected in life, cannot be separated in death... death is not that strong!

 It makes us wiser in some ways, but we are different now.
Our lives are changed. We have lost someone special, someone no one can replace.
That is as it should be. Our relationships are not interchangeable.
Had we not loved, truly loved that special person in such a unique way, we would have no need to mourn them. We would simply forget them and move o

There are times when just the opposite of the sneak attack of grief rears it’s ugly head too. An anniversary or birthday approaches and we are agonizing over the impending date.
We just know it will be beyond bearable. The date arrives and we cannot this time shed a tear. Somehow, all the "horribe-izing" is for naught.
We fondly remember the date, our loved one, our loss, and “nothing.” No tears, no heart wrenching suffering. We sit with it. Amazed.
Grief is tricky like that too. It’s unpredictable, and very predictable at the same time.



Others warn us of what to expect, and maybe it works the way they said, and sometimes it doesn’t.
Grief is not logical. Grief runs the gambit. It can be anticipatory, with a calm let down, at the time of the actual event. It can be sudden and set us spinning.

We can see ourselves pulling it off like Jackie Onassis, and find that we have turned into a weeping, blubbering mess. It can be perceived as resolved, only to churn itself up when we least expect it.
 It is an arduous journey.
Healing is the destination, and in due time it will come.
 It will not be rushed.
                It may not be the way we anticipate it to be.


So what do we do. How do we get our head around this tricky, sneaky experience?

Accept that while we can impact the experience, we can not control the entire journey. Some of it we just have to roll with.
 Know that we will be surprised by our own reactions sometimes.
Accept that our hearts work at there own pace.
This is not a mind over matter issue.
It is an issue of the heart, mind, body, spirit.
It is a healing journey that paces itself. it may be best travelled with a companion, a therapist skilled in grief issues.
Once we stop trying to anticipate every reaction, stop trying to “get control” of it, and allow ourselves to adapt to it’s rhythm, we will find it settles somewhere in our heart more softly, over time.



When the time is right, and it is different for each of us, we may be able to look at that old photograph, hear that sweet special song, and smile instead of cry. We will at some point, purposely call up all our favorite memories of our loved one and bask in them




It will not happen because we insist, it may not be in any particular point in time, but it will come. When our hearts are ready, the pain will diminish. The memories will comfort us not torture us. Give yourself all the time you need.



Embrace life when you are ready. Honor your loved one in a million ways.
Allow others to comfort you when you desire it, make time for you.
Time to do your grief work, time to heal. Know that it is a journey, and let that sneaky, perpetrator of grief do it’s thing, let sneaky grief know that you do not fear its presence, be not afraid.
At some point in time, you will feel more whole again. Ready to rejoin the spontaneity you once enjoy ~ You can have balance when grief shows up~
There is balance and mind-body-spirit connections; balance that sneaky grief with times of laughter, memories that sustain, honor memories with being the legacy and doing great things here with mindful purpose.

The fire is burning, embers are hot. Sending healing thoughts and HOPE in prayers for what you need, on the winds this morning as the light now has overtaken the darkness to Chris, JILL, 6 year old Shelby and her family and friends, Tom in Chicago, Faith, Denise, Jim, Joanie, Liz, Lee on the waters, Miss Molly, Cindy in Virginia, "Southwest Virginia", Mr. Harper, Charlie Soap and family, Tammy Stansell's family, Vicki's mom, Laura, and all who have asked...
The warpaint is on, thoughts and prayers of others surround you, we will fight with you stand strong, have faith, S T O M P.

Wherever you are today, whatever you are doing,.. have the best day, CELEBRATE YOU,
STOMP
S   T   O   M   P

You are your most precious gift to self and all those that you know... treat you with great love and respect.

Walk In Beauty,
DRSES
author of
Healing Heartaches, Stories of Loss and Life
http://www.drsherryeshowalter.com/
order yours!
 











Be kind to you. Be well, be loved. Lean into the work you must do on your journey.



Ask for what you need. You know best what that is. May you always feel loved. Our loved ones are but a breath away. Always in our hearts and minds, where they will live with us until the last breath we draw

11 comments:

Irene said...

PICK ME, pick me !!!!!! I wanna be first
this morning !!!!! Made it to first comment.
B F D ,,,,,,,,,,, No, seriously, grief and
it's seneaky way of making us come unglued,
slowly creeps into and upto us, especially me.
Over the weekend, I found myself talking up to the sky to my DAD " guide me, pop, help me
make good choices" I got to that comfort place Sherry talks of, acceptance and then, BAM
some slight instance ( a monarch butterfly, the dolphin jumping on the causeway, the lumbering manatee under the bridge ) will bring me a sign and the tears flow, the funk sets in.......... but I go on to the NEXT thing. Thanks, Sherry for the reminder that WE ARE ALL HUMAN, even hospice workers & volunteers. We ALL go home with our feelings.
Be happy this THURSDAY, stomp on, rock on.
FIRM

Anonymous said...

Grief can indeed be sneaky. Grief has long tenacles that cling tightly, and release us slowly. Even years later it can sneak up on us. Always unexpectedly. I catch it in my rearview mirror and stop to reflect on why in this moment in time did it attack. Usually it is the perfect moment to stop and honor some special memory of that special someone. I like the image of grief as sneaky. Sneaky is small. Sneaky is not trustworthy. Grief is unpredictbla. Throws us off balance. Great blog today doc. Thnaks, as always.

Anonymous said...

Needing prayers this morning folks! Cindy, who is in NC (not VA)...has been re-diagnosed at stage 4, and on May 10th will undergo the "last ditch" procedure to do internal radiation. Please keep her and her family in your prayers and send lots of strength and good energy her way!!

Grief is very sneaky....very indeed. I was going thru some of Daddy's things the other day..his stamp collection. I thought of him as a little boy, getting new stamps in the mail and being thrilled at his new discovery. Daddy has been gone for over 6 years now, and still sometimes I cry. Holding on to memories, and some of his belongings....but then I have to laugh. One of the things he gave to his children was his very sarcastic sense of humor. My siblings and I can sit for hours and tell "Dad stories" and never run out.

So, as Daddy would have said..."Know the Truth..and the Truth will give you a Migraine"....Go DAD!

Anonymous said...

Lizzy, so your quick wit and sharp mind was a gift from your Dad. How great is that. Love your sense of humor. Will send strongest white light to Cindy. Promise.
Irene, I thought space-aliens had kkidnapped you. Welocome back to the first post position!
Rock On. You make me laugh out loud.
To everyone else reading today, Let's shake it up. Make something HUGE happen today.

Anonymous said...

hello, what a valuble blog today. GRIEF.....
the snaky one and I have come to know each other way too well.... when i finalyy think i have the upper hand.... and then.... boom...my heart is shattered once more.. The journey of grief has evolved my soul in many, positive ways. Although I'm not the person I was once.,I belirve I am a better person in lots of ways. I am more caring, kind, compassionate, thankful, appreciative and in tune with the energy of life aroung me. I will not let grief rule my head, been there, done that. I will however let grief be as it may, for it reminds me of all the joy and love that I am missing.That can make me smile through my tears. Unless you have lived grief you will not "get it ".....My Jaren has enlightened me that my grief is her escape to eternal joy and happiness. If I allow , she helps me carry the grief into the safe place in my heart, in the safe place, the grief changes to love.... Thanks for the read DRSES>, thank you for feeding our souls wit h positive energy!!! You are THE BEST.... STOMP..STOMP....

Anonymous said...

Was discussing this blog in a spiritual meetup group. All 5 of us present really like and benefit from the reminders. We were extremely challenged trying to come up with a positive visual connotation for the word stomp. We would appreciate a picture. We see children stompping their feet when having a tantrum, people stomping cigarette butts, etc. We like to sing, to dance, to praise, to welcome, to appreciate each moment of life. This is a serious request from a spiritual group. We figure we were led to this blog for some reason. Any positive visuals regarding stomping would be very much appreciated. Thank you in advance for your consideration!

Anonymous said...

Dr.Ses, thanks to the person who wrote about their Dad, I think of my Dad and think of the children he had and the hard work he did all of his life. I find that I miss him so much, I always talk about my Mom and how much she meant to me and oft times I dont mention my Dad, he was the solid rock for his children and they were many. I wonder sometimes when my Mom and Dad ever had a life as they worked jobs and had all of these children. I miss both of them and grieve for them so much. I grieve for my friends and loved ones and hope I was the friend they needed and also for the family members. I know someday the pain want be so bad, at times it is so painful it want go away never, I also know someday it will not hurt so much but the wonderful memories will still be there, I just wish it would go away. The love I have felt will always be there, but the question is why? Why cant I have love and life without so many heartaches. Maybe someday the grieving will stop and the memories will flood over me and life will be worth living. Thank you for all you do.

Anonymous said...

What has happened to all of those lovely drawings of different situations you had on the blogs? Surely this person will pleasure us again with the angels and other things they were doing to help us thru the grief and trials we are going thru. Come back wherever you are and share your love with us.

chris said...

Sneaky grief-wow I bet all of us can attest to that-had a melt down today in fact, just because they didn't do a stupid test when they were supposed to! Now I read the comments & find out that Cindy needs our prayers---so I take the 'blanket off' put it away and am now concentrating on stomping for Cindy. May all the angels be with her and give her what she needs to recover.

Anonymous said...

Thinking of sneaky grief, of choosing to allow it, of growing from it. memories are gardens for the soul. Lizzy you wit is wonderful, thank you for that. to Cindy, we are praying for you and that the Creator gives you what you need, to prepare you for what is next, whether it is hope in healing or hope in the next place. as for STOMP and visuals I visualize the STOMP OF KIDS LITTLE AND BIG in a puddle and that joy, enthusiasm, the energy flowing, BUT I feel it all over in my body when I do it, thanks doc. as for that artwork, I read where a boy named Jonny was the expert n that! but it was done by the same one that had the hateful things to say, so ... don't miss it, rather have the beauty in the blogs and the community of those that are here for the right feelings. keep it real and keep the light shinging bright. cheers!

Anonymous said...

Can'y yhiink of a positive visual for STOMPING? Yes, stomping in puddles does come to mind. Stomping to feel conected to the good earth, stomping out a rhythum, feeling the beat of the music. Indian dancing. Stomping is powerful, energizing. Stomps out the bad, and provides an always ready way to call up all our energy. STOMP ON! Try it, put your hips in it. Can't imagine 5 people siting around contemplating how to visualize this in a positive way. Amazing. pitiful. Like watching paint dry.