Saturday, May 29, 2010

Memorial Week End

Memorial Day
A Time of Remembering

This picture is one of my favorites... one that I took in DC a long time ago, fitting for this week-end I thought.

We are so very blessed.
Waking up to this morning; coffee hot; hot shower after a good nights sleep in my bed, covers over my head, safe in my sanctuary I call home.
How bout you?
Rest well last night?
Any complaints this morning?
Any petty disagreements with loved ones; strangers in rush hour; on facebook; on the phone?

Guess that those fighting for our freedoms and living on the ground with no shower, no covers, no hot coffee, no letters from home or Internet access, no arms around them, no one to have "family squabbles" with
think
it really "sucks to be you" huh?

It's morning, He/She is getting ready to do it again... raise that magnificent sun for us... to give us those blessed 24 hours and the ability to choose how to spend them . . . folks are on the roads, headed to visit loved ones, visit the beaches, the mountains, some even headed to Ely MN in hopes of seeing the North American Black Bears! But from what I've been reading; one only has to go to Myrtle Beach or Asheville NC and drive around and see a Black Bear or two... Just look UP... check out the trees... those cubs may be anywhere we are... just don't panic!

The sales papers and ads on TV are abundant and have been all week... All talking about "Memorial Day"...
SALES that is.  You can now buy mattresses, cars, T.V.'s, flip flops, bathing suits, food
(hot dogs are a big one), and heaven knows what...
BUT
so far I haven't seen one ad that says
"Thank you for your service" to all the men and women who have given their lives defending our country.

I have ... however seen far too many political ads condemning our President of the United States for a joke that was made at a roast in DC... a night of some kind of party/gala or something... a remark that has probably been taken out of context and has been repeated more times than anyone would want to hear.
I have seen the once again "I am this, and he is that" ads of "why you should elect me".
I've seen and heard far too many with a "better idea" alot of moaning, complaining and "bit**ing" about what is wrong, feeding with negative energy what are already scary times in our country... I'm just thinking here... "exactly how is that helping?"

I would like to see:
A story of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and footage of the ones that walk that walk... As a child we went there a lot and just sat and watched them. As an adult I could still go there and sit for hours, watching with tears in my eyes, honoring those who have bravely given their lives for our freedom of our country... those who walk that walk 24/7 in front of that Tomb of the Unknown.
I would like to see:
The American Flag flying on every street on every corner on every business and home.
I would like to smell charcoal grills in every neighborhood.
I would like to hear:
the sounds of music and raucous laughter from every corner of the world irregardless of circumstance just for a moment in time during the weekend while honoring the fallen, while stepping outside of self and contributing to the greater good and the energy of the world...
I would like to know:
that we will take a stand for the fallen
and rise up to living.

YES
I am proud to be an American,
I fly the flag and stand for our colors...
These colors don't run.
YES
I want our President to lay the traditional wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier on Memorial Day;
not anyone else, not any place else.
YES
I thank the men and women who have died for our country and their families;
I thank the men and women who have served our Nation;
and
I pray for and support the women and men who are serving to protect the United States of America


I love our country . . .
and this Memorial Day week-end, starting this morning I will light a candle for our men and women;
those who have served,
 those who have died
 and
those who are serving.
If you would like... I welcome you to join me...

Now for a bit of humor... Sandy and Steward next door, my worldly travellers... As Stewart was "trimming" my front lawn (thought it needed it he said), we chatted a moment:
Stewart: "The wife said I need to get a new flag for Memorial day, and I told her... I'll just Steal Sherry's again... after all no one is tall enough to take it from this Oak tree but me!" 
Remember last year I shared my thoughts about the rat fink who stole my flag??? We laughed saying it had to of been Stewart cos' he is the only one tall enough to reach it! So he remembered, and they needed a new flag... hahahaha
ME:  Aw, go on and take it, I have the base wrapped in barb wire, but don't worry you are tough, and after all you will be the one that has to put the new one up!

OK
maybe that wasn't so funny, but I thought it was!

Just so you know; Memorial Day, originally called Decoration Day, is a day of remembrance for those who have died in our nation's service. There are so many stories as to its actual beginnings, with over two dozen cities and towns laying claim to being the birthplace of Memorial Day.
There is also evidence that organized women's groups in the South were decorating graves before the end of the Civil War .;. one more "high five" for women!!!
Are ya feelin me???

Traditional observance of Memorial day has diminished over the years.
Many Americans nowadays have forgotten the meaning and traditions of Memorial Day.
 At many cemeteries, the graves of the fallen are increasingly ignored, neglected.
Most people no longer remember the proper flag etiquette for the day.
While there are towns and cities that still hold Memorial Day parades, many have not held a parade in decades.
Some people think the day is for honoring any and all dead, and not just those fallen in service to our country.



There are a few notable exceptions.
Since the late 50's on the Thursday before Memorial Day, the 1,200 soldiers of the 3d U.S. Infantry place small American flags at each of the more than 260,000 gravestones at Arlington National Cemetery.
They then patrol 24 hours a day during the weekend to ensure that each flag remains standing.
 
So there ya go... some thoughts, some facts to go with your coffee as you prepare to hit the stores for the dogs, buns, and trimmings and prepare for the celebrations of the week-end...
 
Wherever you are, and whatever you are doing...
Remember to take a few minutes to honor and remember...
STAND UP, BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE, CELEBRATE YOU AND YOUR FREEDOM TODAY ~
 
Thank a vet, a soldier, thank the Universal Oneness!
 
The fire is burning, its embers are hot... the prayer bowl is surrounded by the smells of sage, cedar and sweetgrass as thoughts and prayers are being sent on the winds to all Sending thoughts on the wind and HOPE in healing ways to those who have asked, those who are struggling along the path, those who are Warriors:

A man named Brian has died after his long battle with Cancer yesterday... He was the person who was brilliant in many ways; one of which was the use of "LOL" on the internet... a member of Mafia Wars on Facebook, if not one of the first in the game as well! Hell he may of even been one of the ones that created that world wide "family"... I'm told he was a "Warrior", a "cut-up", a man of many friends and loving family ~ He now dances on the other-side, his family grieving and loving, and just beginning the arduous journey of grief. Thoughts and prayers to all there this morning being sent on the wind...
"Brian, dance on brother, in the lights of the heavens, bet you gave Cancer a run for its money... Fight well fought Warrior!"



Prayers and love on the wings of angels today for:
 Lily The Black Bear and Baby HOPE and all their relations, Dr Lyn Rogers, Sue Mansfield; scratched up but very pleased, and the NABC, and all who assisted out there in Ely MN,

Jill, Chris, Vicki, Cindy in NC, Cindy C, Nita, Laura, Mitch and family, Liz, Lee, Molly, Joanie, Jude, COFA,Judi, Matthew, Matt, Mark's family and many friends , Andrea, Jimmy, Marie and family up in New England, Pat, Dorothy, Angela, Elijah, Ode, Linda M, "Southwest VA", Irene, Kevin, Dr D, Randy, Dr P and family, Charlie and family, Booker, Bernice, Jean, Julie, Rhonda, Victoria, Mildred, Andi and family, Irene, Faith, Denise, Jim, Tom, Joey, Shelby friends and family, Judi, Phylis, Monica, Luci, Brandon, Joyce, Gina, 2 time Cancer survivor Tonya, Beverly and Family, Janeth, Melissa, Pam, Virginia, Stacey, Sara Cook 2 time Cancer Survivor, Kevin Edward Belevich and his Pops Jack Phelan, Elizabeth,



Those men and women and service animals serving this great country of ours, those who have served, their families and those who have died serving... my gratitude and prayers as well as those who are on this page to you and yours ~


AND


For all the precious children gone too soon


WE are Warriors here ~



ST O M P ~ ~ ~ CELEBRATE YOU ~ ~ ~


WE are here, we are with you in thoughts, prayer and spirit ... along with some powerful angels



Walk In Beauty,


DRSES


author of:


Healing Heartaches, Stories of Loss and Life


http://www.drsherryeshowalter.com


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVED the photo doc! Ray Charles ROCKS! What a perfect way to start this holliday weekend. May we honor and remember the fallen for they are the reason we have not had to experience war on American soil. Whatever our political leanings, when the rubber hits the road, our military have served unfailingly. Thank every Vet you know and evry Vet you encounter. They deserve to be honored. No flag at your home. Get one. It makes a statement that every American should make.

Anonymous said...

For all the celebrating we do here, this is a MUST Celebrate. Ramp up the Patriotism! It will put a smile of pride on your face. I remember when young men would step up to my Dad many times and shake his hand, thanking him for his service in WWII. He had been a Marine in the South Pacific and ALWAYS wore a red ball cap with the Marine Corps emblem on it. Never failed to make him swell with pride, and never ceased to bring a tear to my eye.
Remembering my Dad this weekend too. He was not quite 17 when he enlisted, a kid from the streets of Washington DC. Not well educated, a rough and tumble, hard working, ruff cussing tough guy. He was a Marine, and it shaped his entire life. Until Alzheimers stole his mind, he was first and always a Marien. I loved him. Love him still.

Anonymous said...

I can not imagine that any American has not known someone, or some family that has laid to rest a fallen service person. Up front and close to our heart. While still in high school, a young man I dated was drafted and went to VietNam. Came home in a flag drapped casket. I was a hippie, protesting that war. It really brought home to me what serving this country really ment. Giving ones life in service for our freedom. Remembering Ross Collins and his service.Had occasion to spend alot of time at Walter Reed Hosp during the 1970's and saw hundreds of Vets there learning to live with the loss of limbs. Sobering experience. So, when we put up our flag, drag out our barbeques, listen to the uTube, take a moment to thank,really thank those whose lives were sacrificed for us. A prayer to their families for their sacrifices too. I feel a swell of pride commin on. STOMP.

Anonymous said...

Good Morning and a happy morning it is with the sun shining brightly. A great tribute to our solders serving our county and dying for us. Each time I see a soldier and he is near I always walk over to him and thank him for serving us. Some people think I am wacko for doing this, but it is in my heart. My Pappy always shook hands with soldiers and thanked them. I fly my flag all of the time and I am so honored to have a beautiful flag to fly. I also encourage all of us to fly our flag for our country. There are so many things going on in our country and we need all of the support we can give. We need to honor our President regardless of what denomination we are, he is the leader of our country and he needs our support. Send me that tall mans address and I will buy him a flag. ha. Your statement about putting barb wire on the flag brought back memories when people was stealing flowers from my husbands grave(he was a veteran), the next flowers I put out I strung it with barb wire, I expect somewhere someone had sore hands because they tried to get them did not succeed. What a shame. Thanks Dr. SES for the beautiful Ray Charles and the blog. I am sure Ray greeted little Gary Coleman to the other side.

Anonymous said...

Good morning,
Thank you for the praise and thoughts on the
Veterans who deserve our prayers and
heartfelt thanks,
My Dad, 86, had the experience of serving in
the Navy during, WWII, he rarely speaks of
this....When my inquisitive self prods him to
"tell me a story ", he recalls with solelm pride, those days faded into his life history.
No once has he ever complained and his duty
as a soldier, nor ever been bitter about the
tough times he faced in the face of adversity.
He ,instead, beams with a pride of patriotism... I've always told him "you are the smartest man I've ever known "
May we all heed the advice from today's blog,
a moving one , for sure.
STOMP< HONOR < PRAY< GIVE MANY THANKS !
We are free people, thanks to our Veterans and all the men and women currently in active service... 'FROM SEA TO SHINING SEA, GOD BLESS
AMERICA' COMES TO MY MIND AND FILLS MY HEART...
May all the angel's voices fall softly in our
hearts today... Also, condolences to Brian and his family... may you be especially blessed by the ANGELS... we are UNITED in our stand to
FIGHT CANCER.... it SUCKS... as does the suffering of our serving armed forces...
I will hold them all close on this
MEMORIAL WEEKEND....

Anonymous said...

not to bring politics to this sacred page...
but I meant to say this in my previous post..
WE NEED TO TAKE MUCH BETTER CARE,
ON A DAILY BASIS,
OF OUR VETERANS...WHEN THE RETURN HOME
FROM THEIR TOUR OF DUTY.... WITH RESPECT AND
PRIDE WE NEED TO PROVIDE FOR THEM AND
THEIR FAMILIES WELL BEING !

DrSES said...

wELL ... an addendum to my thoughts... fancy that... may just be a first or second time this has happened me commenting here! LOL
Just back from the grocery store where I met a Vietnam Veteran outside the store with "poppies for the VFW"... ME: what in the world are you doing out here, and thank you for serving... But where are the poppy ladies today?
Vet: We couldn't get what few ladies are left at the VFW, so here I am loading groceries for folks and taking carts back! (laughter) I gave him a couple bucks, he gave me a fake poppy.
BUT THEN... he gave me a story and showed me his wings that he wears every day of his life on a bracelet. He told me, "I remember everyday of my life, I remember holding a man (he named him" in my arms as he died over there, I remember his pain, his blood, I remember everyday"
He told me there is a virtual Vietnam Wall on the internet and he is published there for a poem he wrote... I will try and find it and post it in a blog real soon for all to see.
ME: Well my friend, I came in here to pick up a few things today, you did not load MY things, but you gave me gifts and more than I ever imagined I would receive today... Thank you, and I too remember, now I will remember YOU...

Just thought readers would like to know bout' me just minding my business and goin out to the store... How's your morning shaping up?
Thoughts on the wind <*>

Anonymous said...

Flags, and cookouts, and a great plan for a wonderful weekend of honoring and celebrating. Sounds real good to me. Chicken on the grill, hotdogs and watermellon. Who could ask for more? A day with friends and family. aI have placed my order for NO RAIN tomorow and Monday but will take whatever comes. Best weekend to all

Anonymous said...

Dr. SES, just a few years ago I sold Poppies for the diffeent organizations in my area. People were more than willing to give a few bucks for the poppies to help those in need. I have a big hat I wear each Memorial day it is covered with poppies. Read the poem something like the field of poppies. It tells a lovely story. Our veterans and soldiers are the ones we need to help. When I see a homeless man on the street, just sitting there with his sign and his Mcdonald bag begging I think hey buddy you are not te one who is protecting us, go get a job and quit your begging if you can afford Mcdonalds and sit there smoking cigarettes, you can get off your a-- and work. There is work for some of those who are begging. It really makes me mad to think all you have to do is seek and you shall find. Now if I thought he was really needy and was hungry I would go get him something to eat, but most of thes people are making more money than we are, so sorry, if I have offended any of you. so what? Take care of the ones who are hungry and need our help. We can tell who they are. Happy Memorial day to our veterans and shake their hands when you see them.

Anonymous said...

The Flanders Field
In Flanders field the poppies blow, between the crosses row on row.
That mark our place;and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly.
Scarce heard amid guns below.
We are the dead. Short days ago, we lived felt, down, saw sunset glow, Loved and were loved and now we lie In Flanders Field.
Take up our guard with the foe: To you from frailing hands we throw. The Torch; lie yours to hold high.
If ye break faith with us who die.

We shall not sleep, though Poppies grow in Frlanders fields.

Madan Grierin was recognized as the poppy lady from France.