Sunday, May 2, 2010


STOMP
Celebrate You
Honor The Old Ways
Incorporate The New
Stomp

It is going to be a great Sunday... I plan to spend it on the water, to soak up the sun, to watch for the dolphins, to pray them and all the water ones safety from the threat of the Gulf Oil Spill that is growing closer to us here....
I am still honored and just "giddy" by all the many thoughts and comments of yesterday! Guess the thoughts of Dr Dorothy Height and the Cherokee Stomp "fired you up" and got you to STOMPin'!~ Wado~ from my heart to yours ~

Fresh pot of coffee is on, I'll pour two cups this mornin; one for me and one for you... if you don't drink yours by the time I finish mine, I'll just assume you're still sleepin' and I'll just drink it for ya! Deal?

The hibiscus are in bloom, I guess that the warmth has finally embraced us again! It sure is a welcomed warmth! The sun was bright and hot yesterday, many were walking the beaches, looking for evidence of the oil spill all praying not to see any.

I heard from someone yesterday who talked at length about her grief, asking again for validation of the changes she was feeling since her loss. I empathized with her, her pain of loss as she told me her story. Sometimes compassionate listening and validation is the best friend you can offer. And then I did remind her...

Grief Changes US Forever/// But we survive. We must choose that path, just as the Cherokee on that trail of tears many many moons ago chose to ... we are survivors by nature. Were that not so, we would not be here, you would not be reading this, I would not be writing it. You see, our parents, our grandparents... they too suffered great and profound losses, great heartaches... they survived, and we are the living proof of that. We ARe HERE, right here right now... and their Ancestors... they had great struggle, great heartaches, they too survived...
And through great adversity, great times of loss, grief . . . through darkness, we will emerge into the light as survivors, perhaps stronger than ever before. But right now, it is hard to see that, to believe that. At best we can just hold it as a possibility. We Can STOMP ~
We can reach out, learning to ask for what is needed, to enlist others to put on their warpaint with and for us... to listen without judgment, to allow us to lean on them when our feet feel unsteady; to stand alongside us when we feel alone... We Can remember balance...
Tears balanced with laughter
Sad balanced with glad
Solitude balanced with social times
Quiet time balanced with Music
Stillness balanced with Energy
You feelin me???



Life changes us, we grow, we learn, we make choices everyday. We are evolving all the time.

This is as it should be. Grief changes us in unique ways.
We learn to appreciate life in experiencing the seasons, experiencing the little ones and the Elders.
Sometimes we appreciate a loved one only after their death; so sad. 
Other times we love someone from the first moment our eyes meet and love them intensely and joyfully until the moment they leave this earth... thrilled that we were blessed with them in this life, honored by the gift of them, knowing they are not gone from us ever, only their body in the physical sense. Yes we mourn them being here, but in that deepest spiritual connection they are still a part of us, death cannot separate that ~ We grieve not for them... we grieve us without them, and that is different.

We grow to know ourselves in a different way. We develop a renewed respect for time, for the fragility of life, and for the necessity to value each day.
To hold dear the memories of our loved one, and to celebrate each moment we have while we have it to share.



While we will never be the same person we were before we were confronted with our grief, our loss, it is possible to embrace the changes for the growth, the truths that they bring.

None of us want these particular changes to be thrust on us by loss and suffering it’s ravages, but at some point, everyone that has ever loved, will experience the winter of their own grief. It is a reflection of the depth of our connections, our love, the importance of the relationship we shared.

Given the opportunity we would probably choose for everyone we loved to live forever, or at least to outlive us.
We do not get to call all the shots.
The reality is that we have lost and may well lose someone else to death.

Each journey is unique.
The wisdom we glean form the death of one dear to us may in some ways prepare us to face the next grief journey a bit more enlightened, but it will not prevent us from experiencing grief in new or different ways.

Grief is not that predictable.



So, while we may have better coping skills, more understanding of ourselves and the grief process,

We will still be challenged to weather each encounter with grief without the ability to conquer it. And no one is exempt from the pain of loss; not health care providers, not hospice workers, chaplains, therapists, NOT NO BODY...


For grief is not to be conquered. It is to be survived.

I am a survivor, how about you?





Survivors we are.
We will not always be strong. We may not ever be able to make this journey alone, and we should not expect this of ourselves.
Death is a part of the cycle of life.

Grief shared lightens our burden, eases our pain. Each change it evokes in us lends depth to our character. Allows us to deepen our respect for life, for time, for the precious connections we have with others.
Our focus is to treat ourselves kindly.
Accept the difficulty of the journey.
Know that we will come out the other side of this experience stronger, wiser, and we will regain our balance.


We will be, or are changed forever by having loved, having lost, and having grieved deeply.
It is a journey lead by our hearts.
We are resilient, we are warriors.

We can in the end adapt to change because we must. Know that these adaptations, these changes will serve us well as we continue to learn and grow form each experience. Be kind and gentle with yourself as you journey. Do likewise for others as they do their grief work. Accept support, seek it out. Offer support when it is needed.
Be about giving the gift of your love to others, and embracing the love others offer.
Know yourself as well as you can.
Live your best life. Grieve well.

Use all the tools you have at your fingertips and in your heart space, but open your heart to receive all that is there for you to heal.



Live well, love deeply, know that you will heal from the heartaches grief brings.
You will regain your balance.
You will be different because you have made this difficult journey.
Your life will be changed, you will be changed.
But you will emerge whole ready to re-invest in life, to dance with the heart beat of natures rhythm... if you choose to.

The fire is burning brightly, the embers are just about right... they are looking hot! Prayers being sent on the winds this morning to those who have asked, to those that know "who you are"
For Chris in NY, Stand UP, STOMP, to Jill we are with you my friend, STOMP, climb with all your might, fight... we have our warpaint on and are with you, to Cindy, Denise, Jim, 6 year old Shelby, Faith, Phyllis, those in "Southwest Virginia", Liz, Lee, Molly, Joanie, Laura, Matthew, Judy, and so many others, we are standing strong with you! When you are tired, we will be there as you rest, at the ready, we will fight on, when you are rested we will fight with you... You have some powerful people here who are Stomping for you, sending HOPE in healing, thoughts on the wind, prayers and support... you are in the arms of the angels and those here, may you find strength and comfort here.

Wherever you are and whatever you are doing today, have an OUTSTANDING SUNDAY!

Walk In Beauty,
DRSES
author of
Healing Heartaches, Stories of Loss and Life
http://www.drsherryeshowalter.com/

8 comments:

Irene said...

Morning all. I never get tired to reading
Dr. SES words, advice, passages, info & laughs
Today, yes, I AM A SURVIVOR, I am CHANGED,
but I continue with warpaint on. It smears
and drips when I cry, BUT RE-APPLY, brush off,
stand up and go ON ! I have learned this about myself, having lost, grieved and lived to tell others. Sherry: I love how you change the color of print to suit the message.
The FIRES are RED hot.... the SUN shine, water
and sea life are at risk. I pray for all !!
A FIRM STOMP TODAY

Anonymous said...

Good Morning, GREAT Morning, and gentle mourning for those working through their grief. This is a soft place to land when we need support. Affirmations of life, good advice, and no lack of love to be shared. Thanks doc for your lessons, and your caring.
Thanks for this blog and the healing messages.
You have the heart of a Shaman. STOMP ON.

Unknown said...

This is the good life, the only life, we have. Make it good! I like your reminder to be kind to ourselves. It is something I think we forget. Especially when dealing with grief. We struggle against the sadness, the lack of control, the depression that overtakes us. You remind us often to reach out to others for support. We must remind ourselves how long our own journey with grief was and not fail to allow others whatever amout of time they need.
Offer suport freely and be there for the long haul. If you have, yourself been on this journey, you know that there is no fast-forward. Sometimes a gentle touch and an ear is all that we need to give. Great patience with ourselves and those we walk beside.

Anonymous said...

Ahhh yes...if we could only live in Charles Schultz world with Charlie Brown it could be "Good Grief". Oh wait, he wasn't always that happy... Oh well, grief has changed me, more than once, I have evolved through it, emerged more than once from it, and still survive. As I was listening to the radio the other day, I heard a song I believe from Toby Keith. I've probably heard it before, but it came at that "exact" moment, when I needed it most. Of course MANY country songs speak of grief, and this one was no different. It spoke of this (life) not being fair, but the key factor for this song was "I'm not feeling sorry for you, I'm feeling sorry for me"... How true. I wouldn't want ANY of the loved ones I've lost to stay because of me and while I am and feel so different for losing them, I am grateful I had the opportunity to love them, to share parts of our hearts until that end...love is and life is oh so worht it, if you listen to the drum of your heartbeat, and keep that stomp going, and continue to reach out always and in all ways! Thanks Dr. SeS!

Anonymous said...

Dr.SES, great blog today and all days. Thanks for reminding us of seeking help and reaching out during and always with our grief. Grief is sometimes a dangerous thing, it hits us so hard at some of the worst times. It is amazing how our body seems to have lost the spirit, body and soul. It seems sometimes like we are a zombie walking around with no purpose in life. By the time you think you are thru the grief period someone else near and dear is sick and dying. Sometimes our friends give you support and sometimes you think they are thinking GET OVER IT. It takes a lot of will power, love and life to get thru it, I doubt many people get over it. Thanks, go look at the Dolphins. Watch that sun burn.

Anonymous said...

Love that picture for this morning--what a glorious picture. Read your blog. Made it through the anniversary of dad's death yesterday. Was out being a hospice social worker on call. Advocated for a woman to be cared for properly as she wasn't. Didn't have enough left to go to the cemetary and have always had mixed feelings about that--as he's not "there." I think maybe I should make the time today. I feel I need to move through this to help others & take care of my own stuff as we continue our grief group over the loss of my predecessor at work. Gayle E.

Anonymous said...

GREAT MORNING...
to all, thank you all of the comments
it is an inspiring wake up call
YES, I AM A SURVIVOR
i AM A WARRIOR...
each day I battle with the dark things
hidden in my heart which
bring me down....
today I will STOMP....
heading to the beach for some
sun, and REFLECTION and PRAYERS, stop the oil !!!
I will visit with Jaren and the dolphins, feel the POWER of all that is... Heartfelt wishes
for happiness to all.... STOMP !

Anonymous said...

I am also a survivor. I was thinking about it today. Making a list of people that I have grieved. I should really be good at this thing we call greif. But, I an still learning hope to cope with it. Every time it is somehow different. The knowledge I gain through each experience never quite prepairs me for the new twists and turns the next experience brings. Chances are this will not be the last time I will face this experience. Thanks for helping me along the way. It really does help. I know that others are also working this out. That often helps me feel a part of something special. To know that I am not the only one trying to "get it right".