Sunday, May 23, 2010

tHE Mighty Oak Tree ~ OH The Stories ~

That Grand Ole' Tree
You've Heard Me Talk About
In Arlington VA

Beautiful Sunday morning to all who gather here . . . Coffee "Carafe" is sittin on the table this morning ~ sun gracing me with its presence through the trees and dancing through the Spanish Moss...
The birds are singing the morning songs and trying to accompany Patti Labelle this morning as she starts off the day here in sunny FL.

Notice that little bench there at the tree? Many a weary butt sat there, many a tear shed and many a time the sounds of laughter through the stories could be heard in the darkest of nights.
So many memories there...
so many guarded secrets too, safe over time.

Patients, colleagues, families, EMTs, Police, Chaplains, funeral directors... social workers, children, four-legged's, winged-ones, umm, let's see... you name it.. they've gathered under the protective spirit of that
magical and magnificent tree it seems.

The magic and wisdom of the oak tree has been talked about and handed down through the generations...
but I have to tell ya, there are not many fans of the Oaks here in Florida! Oak trees in Florida are like a snow storm in DC during rush hour... mostly unwelcome and a pain in the arse for the most part!


HOwever, the grand Oak tree is tied with culture and magic back to the beginning of mankind. Tall and majestic is the tree, hard is the wood of the oak, and acorns provide sustenance, and these pesky squirrels that love to harass my four-leggeds by barking at them are here to tell ya they do love some acorns.
These are reasons the oak has become a very important tree across many lands. That marvelous tree in the picture holds so many stories, so many memories that even I look at it with tears of gratitude... moments of refreshed thoughts that are of years gone by, but they fill my heart like it was yesterday...




Many cultures come to revere the oak tree as a magical tree, potent and full of energy. No doubt in my mind... you would be filled with energy too if you were witness to the many life changing stories as that ole tree has been!

Think of the old days when  early man derived many resources from the tree, acorns for food, wood for fire, and in some cases even the trunk for shelter; there has been a long relationship between man and the tree, animal and tree, tree and tree, Universe giving us tree.






Native American children used to play “tree tag” where touching a tree provided the person safety, there are those of us that still do that today, young and old. Traditionally this safety tree was the oak tree. Many Native Americans viewed the oak tree as a symbol of strength with many powers, I more times than not made sure that all the children that were dying had the chance to be touched by that tree, to feel it, be near it... adults too for that matter! Can't remember any of them thinking me "nutz" for that either come to think of it!

 In fact, the tradition of “knocking on wood” is said to be of Native American origin in order to avert the failing of a boast or hopeful prediction.
The tradition believes that it is bad luck to boast, claim victory, or predict bounty; in today’s culture we would consider it to “jinx” a situation and therefore knock on wood to avert the failing. How bout' that now?






Because of the tendency for the oak tree to be struck by lightening many cultures related the tree to the gods of the sky. Another perfectly good reason Oaks strayed too far when they came so far south... after all this is the lightning capital of the world you know!!! Go NORTH you self respecting OAKS...
Native Americans related it to the sky god,

 Nordics related the tree to Thor, and the Greeks related the tree to Zeus.
Hercules is often depicted carrying a club, staff, or wand made of oak. And to him the tree was sacred because of its tendency to attract lightening. I repeat... No self respecting Oak should be living here in the lightning capital of the world... Are you feelin me here???






A tradition that may date back to the times of the Celts and the Druids is the ashes from oak wood fires were deemed to be magical. These ashes were said to protect the bearer from lightening and fire. Burning the leaves of the oak will purify the atmosphere, and alternative to some incenses used today. Be right back... goin to put some ashes all over me now... HURRICANE SEASON STARTS JUNE 1...

OK, I'm back...              ¸.•'´¯)* ♥ ♥

So now that you know all of that: and now that you have seen a real picture of that magic and most marvelous tree...
I will tell you one more very brief story...
Once upon a time, I was out there, sitting on that bench... and a very very large tall large man approached me... he wanted to know if he could just sit with me for a few minutes... It was about 11pm and I had been there with a friend who was dying... (taking her time I might add)... So I said, "sure"... and then it went like this:
Man: "I've seen you here alot... you seem to know a lot about this place... think I could bring my mom a cold beer in here?  I mean she'is  dyin, but she loves her a cold beer... you know what I mean?  I mean I don't mean no disrespect, but I thought I could just ask you and um, one other thing... um... do you think you could help me spring her outside to um... maybe drink a cold one if they don't let me take it inside?"
ME:  Well... I think that sounds like a great idea if the doc says it's OK I don't see that you would have a problem inside or outside. Let's go and give the doc a call or talk to the nurse first OK?
Well wouldn't ya just know it... the man had to go and start crying like a baby... all over my jacket, just blubbering right there in front of the old Oak tree and me... Here this big big tall man, chain hanging from his hip and all, just grabs me and starts cryin...
NOw I just ask you... how is that goin to get his Mom a cold beer any faster???
So ... patiently I wait, being the compassionate ear, the compassionate "hug-gee" and provide the support, caring... then we go inside and consult with the nurse in charge... YAY... SHE CAN HAVE A COLD ONE!!!
I check on my friend who is sleeping peacefully, kiss her on the head, tuck her in (she was tucked perfectly... but it was an excuse to pamper, touch and otherwise do that repetitive thing you do at times like that) ¸.•'´¯)* ♥ ♥
then off to find my new friend and his mom.

NOW... we need to adjust and find help...
OK, we have the bed ready to roll ~ He has gone to his truck where he just happens to have a "cold one" in a cooler...
WE, the nursing aides, Nurse and I just happen to have the humor and skills to manipulate the hospital bed and ourselves with an all too happy patient and off we go down the hall and out the double doors into the dark of night and toward the magical big Oak Tree...
Yippee she squeals with delight...
 "I'm free and outa there for a night on the town" ~
Her son arrives with a couple of cold beers in his massive hand and a "boom box" in the other, playing songs of Willie Nelson, and an apology to us as we stood there and quickly said, "um... can I go and get you all a beer?"
WE laughed a lot on that one, told him no we were great just enjoying watching them... A few minutes to be sure they were settled and letting them know we would be inside if needed... We left a mom, her son and the sounds of Willie, under the night sky and the protection of a Mighty Oak there on the grounds of that sacred place in the darkness of night... for a special night together, a cold beer, good music, memories and a special time of togetherness... I just ask you ... does it get any better than that?

Magical, marvelous protection... That Oak Tree has many a story, many a memory... shared not just by me, but by many as well ~
Now also in your heart as well ~

¸.•'´¯)* ♥ ♥  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5S3t5qNcwI

Whatever you are doing today... wherever you are going... Have yourself a blessed and not stressed day... YOU GET TO CHOOSE.

The fire is burning this morning, the sage is wafting up on the wind with healing thoughts to all in gladness, in strength and HOPE:



For:


Jill, Chris, Vicki, COFA, Cindy in NC, Cindy C, Laura, Mitch and family, Liz, Lee, Molly, Joanie, Jude, Judi, Matthew, Matt, Andrea, Jimmy, Marie and family up in New England, Pat, Dorothy, Angela, Elijah, Ode, Linda M, "Southwest VA", Irene, Kevin, Dr D, Kevin and his Pops; Jack Phelan, 2 time Cancer Suvivior Sara Cook, Dr P and family, Charlie and family, Booker, Bernice, Jean, Julie, Rhonda, Victoria, Mildred, Andi and family, Irene, Faith, Denise, Jim, Tom, Joey, Shelby friends and family, Judi, Phylis, Monica, Luci, Brandon, Joyce, Gina, Tonya, Beverly and Family, Janeth, Melissa, Pam, Virginia, Stacey,


AND


for


all the children


gone too soon


/'\










Sending you thoughts on the wind on this beautiful Sunday ~


We are Warriors here ~


Thoughts to Andrea and Mark's family as they awake from the memorial services of MARK yesterday... a young man who died suddenly and unexpectedly.


His family and friends will have gathered ~


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBFr43vQiSM&feature=related

Gone Too Soon . . .


May He Dance In The Lights with Jaren and so many others


~ ~ ~


We are here, we are with you in thoughts, prayer and spirit ... along with some


powerful angels


May you find comfort in knowing you are not alone along the journey... along the path we are with you always...




http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7CclVneVpw





\Walk In Beauty/


DRSES


author of


Healing Heartaches, Stories of Loss and Life


http://www.drsherryeshowalter.com/











8 comments:

Irene said...

Oh ! What a beautiful blog this morning, doc.
The story about the OAK trees, THE oak tree,
the man and his mom, the cold beer & music.
Made my heart fill up and my eyes, too.
You are really something, the way you think, write it down, dream, write it down, express
what ever.............. You definitely ROCK
in this world. Thanks for such wonderfulness.
(is that even a word ?? ) Peace, baby, IRM

chris said...

beautiful blog today--I loved the story of the oak and of the man who recognized that his Mom needed to feel free-absolutely beautiful. I am surrounded by good friends who have turned into family here (they are my oak trees) STOMP! greatful for the day and for my friends and family always...
L&H

Anonymous said...

loved the man and the beer srory,,, the old oak tree...mnay many happy memoiries os playing
on the NORTHERN oaks as a child... loved to climb them and make a hiding place...
Today will be a beautiful Sunday... would love to hit the beach... but am off to work///
SURVIVED and actually had a very
moving and spirit filled day yesterday...
Mark has been so proudly let go to his home
in the perfect world... there was so much
love and support between everyone...It was a
sad celebration.../and yes the
ANGELS SANG.... and a lone butterfly accompanied the casket...right into the churh!
Thanks again to all for all you prayers and kind
thoughts... I wish the best of all
days for you today !

Anonymous said...

Good Monin Sunday. Sun is shining, great read, feel like I was right there under the oak with the good doc. Andrea, loved your coment yesterday. Thank You for sharing your dreams and experiences with us. Amazing how you and Sherry were in the same dream space.
Everybody, e whole today. Find reason to smile, to treasure someone today. Make today last. Best to all.

Anonymous said...

I can see why that Mighty Oak in the picture was/is a gatherng plae. it is beautifl, unlike the FL oak with there should be a law against.
Loved the Willie song. Loved the blog.

Vicki said...

Sherry,
Another great blog today!
My Mom has one of the largest Oak Trees in Pinellas County sprawled out all over her house...seems to be lifting the house at the back now...it roots...
That is a mess in itself!
Oak trees are beautiful! Many, many memories right there in that house with that hugh tree!
Fifty plus that is~
Mathew is headed to the beach for a quick exercise swim and I won't go today...need UV sunglasses first!
Have a great Sunday to all!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I love my Florida Oak Tree :-)

Anonymous said...

Dr. SES, what a wonderful blog today as always. You have awakened my spirits with Gone to Soon with Usher. What a performance and what wonderful words. You have inspired me to go out tomorrow and take a picture of my neighbors big old Oak Tree, he too is gone to soon. I have fussed about the little things off the Oak tree covering my driveway, some people call them helicopters. I will not fuss anymore after the loving tribute and dear old Willie, what a great song. Thank you for being here for us and we must hope that we are not gone to soon. So many of our loved ones have gone to soon. I may even go get a beer and sit under the Old Oak Tree. Keep on Keeping On.