Monday, June 14, 2010

DAGGONE MONDAY ALREADY?

MORNING MONDAY
SIESTA
JEEPERS!

Really? Is it already Monday? What happened to our weekend Jeepers and I want to know?
Coffee is hot, here we are, but Jeepers is already ready for a siesta!

Yesterday was fabulous... Another great day on Lake Tarpon with Mitch and Laura,
Dorothy and I...
singing, swimming, playing in the sun, and ending it all with dinner at the should be
world famous
Tarpon Turtle!
Te food fabulous; the GM Brenda is always there to give you attention, and her son just happened to be our waiter... Lucky were we!
Dinner?
Awesome!
What a day I'm telling you.
Then to make it even better... as leaving and walking on the dock to the boat, I run into none other than Elvis! A wonderful young man who used to work at a local restaurant who tells me be know works at the Tarpon Turtle!
We hug, and of course we have to let him know that I am known as "the mayor of the Tarpon Turtle" and will look forward to seeing him there!
And
the we head out... to see the most remarkable of sunsets ever...
ORANGE indeed... beautiful, and awe-inspiring I tell ya, wish you could have been there.
Oh what a day it was...
And here we are, Monday morning with coffee, great memories, little ones running around the pool and I am wondering...
HOW ARE YOU???

We sure did make some great memories yesterday!
Yep, and just so you know...
my rope and docking skills were top notch!
 Elders often have wonderful stories, memories of things way before we even existed. The are fascinating to me. To listen to others share their memories is indeed a gift received.
Thanks for the comments yesterday, the memories, the wonderful wonderful stories...
Aren't memories wonderful?
Some of us may have the dubious pleasure of hearing the same stories repeated a thousand times over the course of our lifetimes. My endurance of the stories has been enhanced by asking for more and different details.
What did it smell like? What time of year was it. How did you first meet that person? You’d be amazed at how many more details come out. Often making the same old story you could repeat verbatim, seem fresh and somehow more interesting.
 So, I encourage you once again to share your memories with family and friends, ask them to share theirs with you. Compare your funniest, or most amazing. Treasure the sharing. Capture the stories, and hear the life lessons they hold. Let others help fill in the missing blanks in your memory bank, and do the same when you can. Share the feelings the memory evokes, it can open up a whole new conversation
Memories In the Corners of my Mind this morning, with my coffee fresh and the four-leggeds having the time of their lives...




Memories are amazing mental photos of experiences gone by. I often take a “walk through my mind” and reflect on the special memories I hold dear to my heart. Oh how I remember the story of Olivia having to sit on the step for "time out" and saying... "Mom, the next sound you will hear is me hitting my head against the wall..."  and only seconds later the "thump thump" only to be broken in silence by her then saying... "AND MOM, IT REALLY HURTS" !~!!  now you gotta admit... that is funny... That's Nana's girl all right... telling it like it is... No holds barred!~

These little treasures recall so many special moments. People I have shared this life journey with, experiences joyous, sad, precious, and troubling.
Funny how time wears away at some of the specifics, things we thought we would never forget become crystallized, or somehow fuzzy, with bits missing or faded. I suppose there is a finite amount of data the ole brain can store and retrieve. Some things got to go to make way for the new stuff. Old memories hang on, fuzzy though they may be in my mind, my heart easily recalls the feelings attached to the memory.


I like that I can remember the feelings, even if the details allude me. When my memory fails to sharpen the details, my heart jumps up and fills in the blanks with instant recall of the sensations I experienced.

We rely on friends and family to join in the recall. Ever sit around and “remember the time?” We do this often. One focuses on the people present, another may add historical details to round out the picture. Someone may be especially good at recalling the conversations, Who said what. We remember the laughter, the tears, the pranks, our fears. And with each memory, we embellish a bit to enrich the story. Sometimes, I remember with every vivid detail right there. Perfect recall.

 Sometimes I can’t even scratch up a vague connection to someone else’s memory shared. We were all there, all had the same experience, and each and everyone of us saw it differently, or remembered it differently.


There are unbelievable moments when reminiscing, that it is not possible to imagine someone can’t remember in great detail the same unforgettable moment we shared. That my friend is why we need each other as memory keepers.

When I encourage others to tell and retell their stories, in part it is to help set these moments in our memories to bring back the joy, or release the pain associated with the memory.

Our Elders often have wonderful stories, memories of things way before we even existed.
 The are fascinating to me.
 To listen to others share their memories is indeed a gift received.


Some of us may have the dubious pleasure of hearing the same stories repeated a thousand times over the course of our lifetimes. My endurance of the stories has been enhanced by asking for more and different details. What did it smell like? What time of year was it. How did you first meet that person?

You’d be amazed at how many more details come out. Often making the same old story you could repeat verbatim, seem fresh and somehow more interesting.

 So, I encourage you once again to share your memories with family and friends, ask them to share theirs with you. Compare your funniest, or most amazing. Treasure the sharing. Capture the stories, and hear the life lessons they hold. Let others help fill in the missing blanks in your memory bank, and do the same when you can. Share the feelings the memory evokes, it can open up a whole new conversation.

The fire is burning on this Monday morning its embers are hot... with thoughts on the wind to those who know who they are of healing ways, loving thoughts along the journey...
Blessings to you and those who gather here...
Dance into your week...
STOMP
S    T     O     M     P


Walk In Beauty,
DRSES






5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Memories, memories, yes there are many for me and lots of family related memories. I can remember when my dear brother and nephew would play pranks on me all of the time. My nephew kept calling me to ask when was I going to my Cabin on the River. I would say soon as my husband had gone away to National guard camp I was in no hurry. He would call again and I just knew he and my brother who was real good at pulling pranks was up to something. I finally went and I knew they had been there as I entered. Now this cabin is very remote and right there at the River, that is New River the only river I have been told that runs North and old it is maybe as old as the Nile. Anyway I look around as I go in and into the Cabin sure enough there lay a form in the bed with a mans hat and shoes showing the bed stuffed with pillows it was a little scary. I jumped back and this was before cell phones and no phone. Then I peeped in again and saw they set me up. I had to laugh after I stopped trembling. When I returned home I stopped to tell them they owed me a mattress as I shot the h--- out of the man laying in my bed. Of course they cracked up laughing. Another time with the same two they kept calling me when was I gonna come down to the house. I knew again something was up. After the 10th. call I decided to walk down there. As I pushed my house door open I let out a scream there sat my dads scare crow from his garden. Again they got me. Memories are good. I could not top doing anything to them that would pay back. I have the memories of them and now they are playing tricks on the Angels. They reach out to me every once in awhile to keep me smiling. Great blog

Anonymous said...

Can't even remember a day where it was this late before I even got to look at todays Blog... Geeze, well, now that I'm back, I have a wonderful memory to share. When we were all still in grade school, my Mom packed us up for a day at White Sands Beach. Looking back, I think it was a little park on the Chesapeake Bay and I can't recall ANY sand, white or otherwise, but... So after romping around and playing, om calls us to the picnic area where she has the old Army trunk o Sout and had secretely stored a whole Birthday Party in it. Baloons, party hats, horns, streamers hung from the tree. It wasn't even my Birthday and I remember the excitment and suprise it was for all of us. Good to recall the memories. Special people, special events and special places. Even the sad ones let me remember the love shared by those who were with me. Have some very precious memories old and new. Always ready to make more. STOMP

Anonymous said...

Great picture today doc! Great thoughts too to get the Monday goin... but
WHERE IS IRENE???
and where in the world is everyone else? Something goin on that I missed? C'mon everyone where are you.... STOMP!
vote for this blog as the all time best... found out about it on facebook and I nominated it as best...
http://www.bloggerschoiceawards.com
then sign up and log in to vote for our page!
Thanks doc for being here... Everyone have a great week of STOMPING...

chris said...

I'm here---just a busy weekend--running here and there--getting back to normal.
re: memories-it really is powerful and helped me more than anyone can know to help me thru these past few years.
STOMP, STOMP, STOMP, life sure is good!!
P.S. I voted-did you?

Anonymous said...

I voted too, It was kind of hard to get signed on to the voting site but once I finally did the actual voting was easy. Love this Blog and love the comments too. Are we ready for Tuesday? STOMP. I am.