Thursday, June 10, 2010

Oh Boy... Godson Gets His Learners' Permit... Rite of Passage!

D'Vante Todd
My "Buddy Pal" #1 Godson
NOW BEHIND THE WHEEL
and
On The Road!


As I sit with my coffee this morning I can't help but think of yesterday's text I received...
No message, just a photograph of a piece of paper ~
and then the phone rang!
Good morning morning...
good and best morning to all who gather here.
The picture I received was of the "official" rite of passage known to 15 year old when their life looks real good... Remember? That oh so majestic day when you got your "LEARNERS PERMIT" and you could then sit behind the wheel, looking
 "groovy", "cool", "radical", "spiffy", "top-notch", "hip", "rad", "awesome", "fly", "da bomb", "tight" ~ ~ ~
OH HAPPY DAYS

So as I am trying to read of this wonderment the phone rings, with Buddy Pal on the other end... excitement in his voice... "I passed the test"!
AND
"Mom let me drive all the way from the Mall at Christiansburg to Radford"  (haha)
OH HAPPY DAYS

So as we are talking about this being an exciting time, school now being out for the summer, grades being good, football physical this afternoon; his soon to be time to come to Florida with the family...
 I hear his wise-guy Mom (cuz) Angie in the background shout,
"So ask the Godmother is she going to give up her keys when you get to Florida"
Which of course... he does!
So of course I let him know that we will tie her to the top of the car on the way to Disney and of course he can drive us there!~!~!
Fair is fair!
/*\
But
now I am remembering and reflecting as we all do.
I can remember when he was two... he would get so very excited to sit in my lap on a riding lawnmower...
And it was about then he began to call me:
"Buddy Pal"
So since then we have called each other
"Buddy Pal" Me big ~ He Little
And then he grew a little;
and he learned the words "please", "no no no",
"thank you" and "amen"... and did I mention, "NO"...
and he sat on my lap and steered when I drove the car in a parking lot and oh how he loved that!
And he called me "His Buddy Pal" ~
And he grew a little; and he learned right vs. wrong; good and bad and the golden rule...

and visited ... and I met them at the airport. And as he ran through the gate with his little arms stretched out screaming for "Buddy Pal" we hugged and fell in the floor among the throngs of people just giggling and hugging and snuggling and loving each other. And we skipped, and sang, "This Little Light of Mine" and we parasailed with him standing with his toes on my feet as we went up more than 800 feet in the air, and he exclaimed,
"Buddy Pal I nearer my God now huh" and then was lost in the sights of all he could see and be, knowing someday he "could fly" if he believed.
And wouldn't you know it
he grew some more and came back:
and he came to visit and he could wear my sneakers! Imagine my surprise then... and although he had great sneaks; he wanted mine... they were "tight" and black and they fit him... So, I gave them to him, and wear them he did, until they no longer fit.
It seems that between visits we would talk, we would love each other and look at the same moon and we would always end the conversation with:
"I love you to Pluto and back"
And then he grew some more:
He played like most kids but loved football and basketball...and he grew, and he got into games like WII, Xbox, and Rap...
and,
He Called Me Buddy Pal, his Godmother.
And at some point his little brother Kamryn came along...
and at some point Kamryn called me "Puddy Pal" and it has stuck, so now they call me each their own version.
With, "My Godmother" in front of it!
And all of a sudden they came to Florida and he looked like a grown-up... he is taller than me, can pick me up off the ground with no effort at all!
In his football uniform; he looks like
 "The Beast" and that is something to be feared by the opponents...
 a Lineman he is... and he is only 15; #51 on the field!
And
yesterday he grew some more
Now with a Learners Permit
He still calls me "Buddy Pal" his Godmother.

We've talked about many things in his young life; dreams, girls, desire, disappointments, sadness, grief,
expectations, hopes, happiness...
He has known of those.
We've talked about pride, humility, honesty and integrity. He is growing into those.
He is a part of my heart; my blood; I have great expectations for and of him.
He looks tough and he looks big and grown... but it is important to remember he is 15; his heart and his brain are still growing, still developing into who he will become. 
He views the world differently than those of us who long ago went through this rite of passage...
He still has to hear "NO" from time to time...
He has learned to argue his points; to speak strongly his opinions... he is growing, changing and coming into his own, he is "feeling his oats".
He still needs and seeks guidance, structure and knowing that he can count on those "in the family" for his truth, his strength and his knowing he will never be alone.
He still needs to know someone is there to help him with balance of mind-body-spirit.
Someone that will hold it all together if it feels like to much for him to hold... He can count on Buddy Pal, the Godmother for that, I promise him. And on others
"In The Family"
We watch and pray and HOPE that when faced with difficult decisions and choices that he will make the right ones.... we hold our breath like most do with young ones.  But for today, we know that a very important rite of passage has occured for him, and for that we celebrate with him, and secretly hope that the car won't start when he turns the key!

But for now it is OK to revel in this moment, to reflect back when moments like this were yours...
Take a nice deep breath... B   R   E   A   T   H   E
Do you remember your last moments like this?
The feelings that went with that rite of passage?
Ahhhhh....
Enjoy the memory.

Perhaps the greatest gift we can give our children is the words of Dr Seuss when they are of this age and guidance along with clarity, solid foundations that allow them to lean in to us always,  
providing humor, touch, hugs, kisses...
"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go..." — Dr. Seuss (Oh, the Places You'll Go!)

Now of course we have to take creative license with the part of "any direction you choose" and "you're on your own"... remember he is but 15, not yet 25...
You get the idea though right?

When we are standing at the crossroad of a certain time or place... perhaps it would be good to stop and remember that most enchanting time... when we felt on top of the clouds... when a learners permit was "IT" and so were we. The next best thing would be a shiny red car sitting in the parking space with our name on it or the keys handed to us... Dream in living color.

The message being: love yourself, "beep beep" your horn for those monumental moments in life that make you smile til' your face hurts...
OWN YOUR DAY, YOUR MOMENT ALWAYS
But for today:

Let's think of Buddy Pal in his moment and some great moments of our own!
Rejoice
S T O M P
Never lend your car to anyone to whom you have given birth. ~Erma Bombeck

And if that doesn't make you smile...

"Little children, headache; big children, heartache"
Italian Proverb

One thing is certain... I sure do have a
handsome Godson don't I? 
Look out Florida; we may have a new football player in a couple of years comin' our way!  "THE BEAST"

Oh yes.. and as for me handing over the keys to my
prized car???
heehe
I kinda think this quote sums it up for me now that I'm thinkin.
"The best way to keep children at home is to make the home atmosphere pleasant, and let the air out of the tires." ~Dorothy Parker

Atmosphere pleasant... check
Pool... check
Little ones on four legs... check
WII.... check
Fridge full.... check
Boat time....... check
Trip to Disney....... check

AllRighty then... think I'm good on atmosphere... now where is the switch to let the air out of tires???
I can't help but remember the last time we went to Disney... the family together. I had the CD player set to play a song for the boys as we approached the gates amidst the excitement. I said this is for you boys:
and then I sang to them, changing the words to fit my Godsons' D'Vante and Kamryn~
By the time we left Disney... the whole family was singing this song and it has become a favorite for us... Somehow it seems appropriate for today's thoughts...
I'm goin to miss this
I already want it back
I sure wish these days hadn't gone by so fast
But
I am so very grateful to have had them all!
Congratulations Baby Boy, my Buddy Pal on this your most wonderful rite of passage... and NO you cannot have my car! LOL

The fire is burning brightly, its embers are hot... Sending healing thoughts of strength, humor, and light to you and yours on this beautiful morning...
We are together in prayer, in thoughts of all that is needed to remind you out there, we are WARRIORS... we are with you, along with some powerful angels... May you find comfort in knowing we are with you always:

FOR:


Our Black American Bears Lily and HOPE, their spirit, and Chris, Jill, the folks at the NABC, Joseph, Cathy M., Vicki and Matthew, Cindy in NC, Cindy C, Laura, Mitch and family, Liz, Lee, Molly, Joanie, Jude, COFA,Judi, Matthew, Matt, Mark's family and many friends , Andrea, Jimmy, Marie and family up in New England, Pat, Dorothy, Angela, Elijah, Ode, Linda M, "Southwest VA", Irene, Kevin, Dr D, Deb, Randy, Dr B , Charlie and family, Booker, Bernice, Jean, Julie, Rhonda, Victoria, Mildred, Andi and family, Irene, Faith, Denise, Jim, Tom, Joey, Shelby friends and family, Judi, Phylis, Joyce, Gina, Tonya, Beverly and Family, Janeth, Melissa, Pam, Virginia, Stacey, Kevin Edward Belevich and his Pops Jack Phelan, Elizabeth, Nita, Gary Siegal, Adrienna,Brian Mawbey, of Mafia Wars Please hold the friends and family of these people in your hearts and prayers as they begin that long and uncertain journey through grief ~






Wherever you are and whatever you are doing... STOMP... have a splendid day today....


You are in the arms of some powerful Warriors here ~

Walk In Beauty,
DRSES


author of

Healing Heartaches, Stories of Loss and Life
http://www.drsherryeshowalter.com/









14 comments:

Angie said...

Good Morning Cuz...if you could have seen the look on his face when he knew that he passed!! I was almost excited as he was. I was happy for D'Vante in one way but as you said in your blog...He is growing up and it's way too fast for me. I too am already missing the days of his childhood. But we all grown up and that is another thing I am having "issues" with this am...Every time he gets a year older...so do I!! :(
He did great driving for "my" first time. Of course Auntie Dot fell and bumped her head about a month ago and let him drive from the hospital to our house and I just knew they would both end up back at the hospital or in jail!!!
I think I may get use to having a chauffeur but I still like my driving better!!!
Hope you have an awesome day and please keep me in your prayers!!! Or I may need some counseling in the very near future :)
Luv ya Cuz~~

viridian.com/greendays said...

TT Driving !Shut up - that came way to fast !!!!!

Irene said...

Holy Mackerel ! Another one on the road !
Congrads to the Godson, who I met and really impressed me a lot. He is a fine young man
and will make MUCH of his life. I remember the day I got mine........... and am still priveleged to be on the road.
Had a wonderful couple of days in the sun, fun, boat, Gulf and my cousins. Take care, all
F I R M

Vicki said...

WOW...Let me know when he is coming to Tarpon..so I can stay off the road!!! LOL
Congratulations D'Vante!!
I remember when I got my learners permit...how exciting of a time in his life this is!
Guess he's gonna get your car Sherry! I can just picture his "Mom" on the roof!! OMG!! LOL
Good luck to D'Vante & Enjoy him Sherry!!!

Tonya Mae said...

Good morning Dr. Sherry!!! A beautiful read (as always) this morning! I have to say, Brett turns 13 in August. The thought of him driving scares the bajeepers right out of me!! But I sit and think I realized a few things. I have always given him the tools and the opportunity to use those tools to be a responsible young man. So it seems my fear does not come because I don't think he will be responsible behind the wheel. He has always been able to keep his belongings in great shape and not lost (for long periods of time) so its not that I think he will not value the car he drives. I have just realized its because of the thought of him not needing me. Being a parent, godparent or grandparent, I feel like there is such an ego boost when somebody needs you. He wouldn't need me to take him places. He wouldn't need me to know exactly where he is at every moment (with a DL or not, I will know, if I have to stuff a gps up his ***, I will know where my boy is). How scary it must be for parents during that time.. Meanwhile, for the next 3 years, I am not going to think about it!! :)

Anonymous said...

Congrats! to Godson,
Time sure flies by, the older we get,
it seems to move much more quickly...
BE SAFE on the road !!! and enjoy
your independence....
I think this blog today has given me
the key to memory box.... I'll enjoy
and reflect on having all the blessed times as
a parent... as I enjoy the gulf
and the dancing dolphins and my
angel visits...Have a great day !

ODE said...

HEY EVERBODY ITS "ODE" THANX FOR THE WONDERFUL COMMENTS. I WILL ALWAYS DRIVE RESPONSIBLE AND ALWAYS NEED MY BUDDYPALS GUIDANCE AND LOVE. CANT WAIT TO DRIVE YOUR CAR! WE GONNA BE LIKE JEFF GORDON! SO BE READY....TELL BUNNY NEXT TIME I WONT BACK HER CAR IN THE ROAD AND JUST SIT THERE FOR 10 MINS.

LOVE YOU & BUNNY TO PLUTO AND BACK

chris said...

Oh the memories this brings back--kids and their learners' permits!! I remember how happy they were when they passed. I also remember the sleepless nights until you hear them home again. Pray for the sleep deprived family! LOL
Congrats 'ODE' good luck in all you do. By the way Jeff Gordon drives pretty normal when not on the track.

Anonymous said...

Hey T, You will be hauling my tired self around when you get here. You wash the car, you buy the gas, you can chauffeur me around.
You are BIG TIME now. But.... I'm still the boss, and I bought the car, so.... start savin up, you're gonna need $ to run up and down the road. Congrats, Love You.
Great read Sherry. Fun commens too.

Anonymous said...

OMG, another teenager with a hot learners. I'm scared and I don't scare easy. STOMP. Drive careful young man. Wear you seatbelt, not to be safe, but because there is a 2 hunderd dollar fine if you don't. I'm way too old to remember getting my learners, but I remember learning to drive on lollipops farm with a 30 year old beat up clutch car with no reverse. We ran it up a dirt mound and let it rush backward fast so we could turn around. Good old days. Had to babysit all 5 of his kids to get to practice driving tht ole rag. Made the kids ride along to keep up wiht them. Funny memory.

Anonymous said...

OK, this one one of the best yet... and yes DRSES you do have a way with stories... and a handsome Godson to boot. Great comments today... so, now the questions: D'Vante Todd, Buddy Pal, Baby Boy, now I read ODE, T, and about a Bunny having a car in the road sittin for 10 minute which i gather was driven by Buddy Pal who is also ODE (kinda like COB?)... and a Bunny who has a car???
Good God Doc, what a fun family and great story this would make ~ and memories of a dog named Magic... Magical posts indeed.... thanks I am LOL still.
So... Be responsible, be grateful, D'Vante, Buddy Pal, ODE, T, Godson of DRSES and I sure hope you know how blessed you are to have The Godmother that you have...
Hugs to all who gather here.

Anonymous said...

STOMP... I FEEL A CELEBRATION ON A "RITE OF PASSAGE"

Great blog, great stories, I can almost see it all happening... BUT I'd put my money on it that the Godmother let this young man drive her car without a license at least one time... hahaha
STOMP...
1. SEATBELT
2. NO PHONES/TEXT
3. RESPONSIBLE
4. Remember to look both ways... no no no that is when you are walking isn't it??? hahaha

5.Cars do not have accidents, people make accidents happen.

Enjoy Buddy Pal, and have great fun in FL...

Hi everyone

Anonymous said...

OK T, tell the ODE story to all the readers. It's only fair.... Now that everybody is curious... Love ya. Always will.

Anonymous said...

Dr. SES, great blog today and as always. So many names to remember. I remember in Staunton when that ODE was little, I mean Little and you let him drive that Lexus down to the Frontier Town. We all had a heart attack. Today, he drove across the Mountain and that was a trip. He did great. Next we came back down thru the Country with a little, little 2 lane rd.. I kept leaning to the left, he wanted to know why and I told him he was too close to the side of the road. A one lane bridge, what do you do? Take it easy and only 1 car at a time. Worked wonders. Just got to work on those hands sliding around the wheel, not crossing over. Good job. Taking my pill right now. hahahaha lol