Sunday, June 13, 2010

Laughter for a Sunday

WE All Need To
Laugh More

Sunday morning waitin on the sun to shine... and shine today it will~ I just know it will.
Last night the thunder beings and lightning beings here gave us quite a show... impressive really.

The messengers were dancing, the earth was waiting to drink up the rains... but mostly it was the beat of the drum and the lightning beings playing.

And at some point the little ones decided to jump into the action and have a "run-about" during it all with their own "bark-fest" to boot.
Ah, Saturday night lights here in FL

Talked to cuz, the Queen of BOGO yesterday; she was to go and have a marvelous time at the lake...
Rained out.
She was to have a stress-free restful weekend...
NOT.
She at least entertained me with texts from a store where she was "trying on hats" with a musical accompaniment with the funniest of thoughts.

I laughed so hard that I scared the four-leggeds in the process.
And this morning I'm still smiling about that, which makes me realize...
Ever notice when you are out and about how many folks don't seem to smile and laugh much?
So here I sit with my coffee in hand; already in my bathing suit... Ready for the day.
Yep, it's on the water for me today; a day of laughter, music, good friends . . .
OK
So since I'm planning a day on the water; and since I have just talked about laughter, smiles, lightness and .... wanting to hear you all "belly laugh"
*since not many read yesterday's thoughts I'm thinking since there are not many comments*

Given all of that... it may just be that I can get away with this without many reading of this ...
or
those who do will at least start their day laughing and spitting and spewing their coffee
or
others will leave for their day to OUTSHINE the sun or dance in the rain with a smile on their face
S T O M P
As long as there is laughter, there is a smile not far behind.
I love a good joke, a cute cartoon, a witticism sprinkled throughout my day.
After all, I already told you how Angie just cracked me up via text yesterday with her trying on of hats, taking pictures of shoes with a note saying "want these"?!

It dispels boredom and the blues.

A cheerful something to chuckle about is good. A really deep belly laugh is better.
Some times I just feel silly.
I find almost everything worth a good laugh. After all, one can put a comical spin on most tragic tales.
Just in the telling, some crummy everyday experience can be molded into a laugh worthy moment.
Laughter is contagious in the best way.


I laugh at myself, which is usually better than laughing at anyone else.

Although, sometimes when a few of us get together we can poke a little good natured fun at each other too.

It’s the kind spirit behind the teasing that makes it work.

 Like the time my best friend wore two different shoes to work... that was very funny!

Well, I’ve done the same thing.
At the time it was awful. I was sure that everyone I saw immediately noticed my feet. Now think about it.
Are my feet really that important to anyone on the planet?
That would be a big NO.

Doubt that a single soul saw or cared that my shoes were mismatched.
 But in the telling, my friend and I laughed uproariously. One thing led to another and we laughed about leaving the house in bedroom shoes, then, the time another friend couldn’t figure out why her false teeth didn’t fit right, only to discover she had her husband’s teeth. Yuck, but funny.

Ya gotta admit, that would be worth a world class laugh.

Most mortifying moments become funny once some time has passed.
This may explain why some reality TV, like “Dumbest Criminals” make us laugh.
 It’s just goofy. Goofy is good too.

I always say, ”If you can’t laugh at yourself, you have no business laughing at anyone else.” A truism. So I try always to start by laughing at my own mishaps.

I offer the stories up freely.
 Get some momentum behind the sharing.

You will be amazed the can of worms it can open.
I ask other people too what dumb and goofy things they have experienced.
Mostly we get tickled and one tale leads to another.
 Laughter is good for the soul.
It feels good, it sounds great, breaks the tension.
 At the end of the day, we might not recall the specific details of a funny story shared, but we will remember that someone helped us laugh. Brightened our day and left us smiling.


So I shall share with you a recent tragic and hysterical moment in my life. I'm sure it will make the National papers at some point...
READY?

 Now picture this…

A bright hot day boating on the lake.
 It had gotten late but we were totally unaware of time as we had been enjoying each others company, the water, the near perfect weather, and were busy admiring our developing tans.

 The boat glided toward the dock.

Being the awesome docking assistant I am, I reached for the cleat on the dock, gently slipped the rope around the cleat, just as the front of the boat made a sharp right turn away from the dock. So… not daring to release my grip, I held on like my life depended on it.

 Two toes on the bow of the boat, two fingers clutching the cleat.
Are you feeling me here???

 An ever widening gap between the two, my body literally stiff as a board. Below, four feet of deep green alga and channel scum.

 I just knew I was bound to drop into the mouth of a 12 foot waiting Alligator.
 OMG. Two fingers, two toes and four feet of air, not a promising outcome.


Time stood still. The silence was deafening. Then from somewhere far away, and deep inside, much to my amazement a teeny tiny little voice said ”help me.”

With that, my faithful loyal friends picked me up, one at my shoulders, the other at my ankles and hoisted my rigid board-like body onto the dock.

Then, my most treasured idiot friend; the helpful Oaf at my feet proceeded to pull the bow of the boat into the dock by tugging on my legs.

Boat docked, mission accomplished.

 I, white as a sheet, lay stock still replaying the fateful potential dunk I thought I would surely take, while my friends all fell out laughing.

I just know you are laughing out loud... aren't you? http://www.mixx.com/videos/8601753/youtube_skype_laughter_chain

In retrospect it was funny.
 A comedy of errors.

 Once in a life time cartoon event.

Being as I was the one in the center of this horror story, it took me a few days to see the humor.

But now, I too can laugh.

Not so sure the humor will be my first thought the next time I approach that dock needless to say, but here, in the retelling, it is a very funny story.

One I’m sure to re razzed about far into the future.

Sad, but it was a Kodak moment missed, not that there would have been a spare hand to snap the picture had anyone brought a camera. A blessing in disguise as I am sure my dear friends would have had the photo plastered on the front page of the local paper with some mortifying headline like
 “PhD Introduces FL to New Docking Technique”.


So, laugh when you can, and when you can’t, take another look at the event in a few days or weeks. There may indeed be a belly laugh in there somewhere ~

OK, the time has come for a re-fill on the coffee; double check the suntan oil, the supplies needed.... and wouldn't you just know it???
Just got a phone call from my good ole' friends saying... "Hurry up, we can't get the boat from the dock without you and your rope skills... bring a ladder to stretch from the dock to the bow of the boat just in case"... Wise guys.

Laughing as I think about it... a day to redeem myself at the roping thing... sure hope the gators aren't out and about... today, but if they are I'm sure they are scared of me from the rumors they've heard!

The fire is burning brightly, with thoughts on the wind for strength in your journey, hope in healing, humor in all things... and many many arms of the angels and all who gather here wrapped around you with positive energy ways; you know who you are... I'm sure that you do!

Walk In Beauty,
DRSES
.
http://www.drsherryeshowalter.com

or: now at Amazon from right here!!! scroll,

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, how funny those boat stories are, I know a few of those and laughter we know is the best medicene. I know of some folks who was taking a small boat out on the river. One of the boaters got her toe hung in the boat dock crack and almost broke it, it was a funny sight but it was really hurting. Another time some boaters decided they knew everything about boats and took it out again on a remote river and the pin broke. Usually carry a pin in the boat for something like this to happen. One of the boaters had her arm in a sling and could not be any help as it was growing dark and the other one had to jump out of the boat and pull it to shore. Tough job with a wild river. They finally walked back to their Cabin and was crying as it had gotten dark, no shoes, no flash lights. Learning experiences was rough in those days. It was not so funny at that time but we can relive it today and laugh, laugh. haha. I guess most of you have funny stories, just received one on the computer of the blond going into the gas station to have her 710 checked on her car. The mechanic said point out to me the 710, he didnt know what to check. Guess what it was her oil cap turned wrong, turn around and it said OIL. haha. Corny, but think about it, funny, how is your 710. I cant believe I am the first to write the blog. Where is Irene? Your Cuz sleeping in today? What about the alligator who is wearing someones expensive sunglasses? I bet that alligator is on the best dressed list.

Anonymous said...

What a great visual! Perhaps the Coast Guard could add this new technique to their boating safety course. Having a laugh riot jist thinking about it. You are one brave soul to go out and face that monster cleat again so soon. Bravo doc! OK,so I will tell one on myself... Came in one day from work, hot as the blazes, dead tired, kicked off my shoes and walked into the pool fully dressed in scrubs. Not funny yet? Well... scrubs suck themselves to your body like saran wrap when wet. So the swim was good but there was NO WAY to extracate myself from the saran scrubs until they dried. Sat for the longest time in the heat waiting for the vaccum to release. Twisted myself in every possible knot trying, to no avail. At the time I thought I would have to actually cut them off. Funny now though,laugh evrytime I remember it.
One other hysterical moment I'll share. I have a thing for sticking my toes in places they should never go. Once, I got it hung up nder the dash board of the car. My Mom was driving and when we arrived home, I had to admit that it had been stuck for some time. Know now that the gene pool I come from is flawed in the brilliance department, so my genius Mother, races into the house and calls the fire department. Could she have just driven me there with my swollen adn lodged toe? Apparently not. So here comes the fire truck, the Chiefs car, two paramedics and an ambulance, followed by a police car. I was about 15 and mortified. By the time they had pried the dash plate off and extracated the offendind toes, all my neighborhood friends were standing around watching and rolling on the ground. A good time was had by all.

Angie said...

Yes Cuz was tryin to sleep in but Lil Kamryn awoke w/a burst of energy as always and is ready to start his day.
I wish I could post the pics from yesterday. I was so bummed out not being able to go to the lake I had to do something.....My mom was laughing as hard as Sherry was I'm sure.
Later in the day we were on our way to Wallie World and I saw this old beat up truck w/a piece of wood in the window w/ a lil peep hole in it....Now me and my mom laughed so hard I could have used a depends!! Well just seeing it wasn't enough. I wanted a pic of it so others could laugh as well. So, I stalked the truck over to Lowes just to have the man inside sit there....I rolled my window down and tried to take a pic but I was too far away...then I heard whistling...the man inside the "Redneck" truck saw me trying to take his pic and was whistling at me....my mom said "just pull up beside him and take the pic and drive off" well all I could imagine was me doing that and the man stick a gun through his redneck window with the peep hole!!! So we waited til I got bored and needless to say I never got my pic but my mom and I had a great laugh!!!
I hope everyone has a beautiful Blessed day. I am not making any plans b/c if I do, it will probably rain again so I am just going w/the flow and hanging out with my mom and Auntie Dot. I do know one thing I will be getting my grub on at Red Lobster!!!!
Luvs to all~~~

Anonymous said...

Loved the laughter on the tube. What fun, I think we all should invest in the SYKE, I have a friend that has it and loves it. Now I wish I had not polished my nails before I watched the laughter, now you can laugh as I messed them up again. Must wait the next time until they dry. I am gonna go out and look for me that Redneck truck my kind of man. Bet he had opened him a beer and was just sitting there sipping and whistling.

viridian.com/greendays said...

to FUNNY - I too have funny memories that still make me laugh out loud; did I tell you the"Salt" story , ah yes, better skip that one today. Of course one of my funniest and fondest memories is of Olivia. She was about 3 or 4 years old, and I sent her upstairs; she was being punished( Olivia is very head strong, stubborn) anyhow she was not happy and in rebellion she said 'I am going to bang my head on the wall',Sure enough in disbelief I HEARD HER BANG HER HEAD ON THE WALL,and then said "and it hurts" I almost peed my pants. memories to be cherished for sure.

IRENE said...

O M G, I am laughing soooooooo hard at the
WET SCRUB story, I cannot stop !
.... and the redneck peep hole, just does not get any funnier than that. The stuck toe in the car dash wins third prize, too.
I have many funny stories, but only one comes to mind. In the 70's when hair spray & up-doos
were popular, we had a convertible. Out for a Sunday ride, a BEE flew in a friend's EAR and was continually stinging her and she went BESERK. We did not know about the bee and though she went STARK RAVING MAD, flailing around, almost jumping out of the car. Well,
the trip to the ER was quite eventful as we were under age and needed the parents to treat.
May not seem funny to the readers, but I could pee my pants every time I think of it.......
YOU HAD TO BE THERE............ Irene

chris said...

omg--laughter is really contagious-I used it more often than anything to get past my trip to NY. -you know 'sleepless in Seattle'--well I was 'boobless in NY'- things like that-anything to break the mood.
I have to say if you can't laugh at something that is happening--go back to bed!
Life is too short not to laugh.