Sunday, June 20, 2010

Remembering those Special Men ~ Fathers Day ~

William Brown (aka Brownie)
George Outlaw
Little Buddy Pal

Happy Fathers Day 2010

I must begin this morning by letting you all know... there's a new kid in town... Palm Harbor FL town that is... 4 days ago, my dear friend, Paul Hittos; owner of Tiffany's Restaurant in Palm Harbor became
a Proud Papa again!!!
Welcome to the world little 6 pound
Spiro Hittos 
(named after Paul's brother)
Happy Happy Fathers Day Paul!
Paul told us that this little one came out with jet black hair (like his daddy) already parted on the side... little but feisty, cute as he can be... Paul says about his children...
"I just want to love them and eat them up,
I just love them so much"
Paul gets my vote as "DAD OF THE YEAR" and if he were running for office locally or nationally... he'd get my vote there as well... He is one of the finest men I have ever known and it is an honor to call him friend.
Lucky kids those three little ones are indeed!
.<>.


Coffee is hot this mornin' and I am enjoying every sip as I think of these wonderful men and the good times shared, their influence on Little Buddy Pal and the
"grand, I mean grand tales they told him back in the day" ~ Brownie a story-teller extraordinaire and George with a flair and an eye for the "lovely ladies" always could be counted on to spin quite a tail...

NO PHONY BALONEY!

Today I tip my feather to all the "stand up" men out there; the men who have had a hand in our great country, influencing our children and teaching right from wrong; leading by example; serving our country; and loving each other family of birth and of choice; making a difference with each breath.

I'm sure many of our readers today are remembering their Fathers' many who are no longer with them; filled with moments of painful loveliness as they stop, pause, remember. I pray you peace, I hope that your memories are wonderful and that your times can be thought of as fun filled and pure.

Those with Fathers in different states; I hope you are able to connect somehow; skype, phone, text, cards... I hope you can find the time to reflect on GOOD memories and hear the laughter, remember the lessons, both good, great, and not so great... and that you can say you learned something... That you grew somehow through it all.

Those who did not have a Dad, or not want to talk about; I hope you had someone that you learned from... someone that taught you a lesson or two that you could carry with you in life; that you learned from, and that you found comfort from.

My Pap was that man; my uncles and Jerry Coltrane was that man... All strong men, good men, funny men in their own way. Now Pap was a serious no nonsense most of the time man! No PHONY BALONEY... But an honest and good man; but we all knew that Granny really ran things, we just didn't ever let him know that we knew!
Jerry Coltrane was a good man, a quiet man, an honest man and a talented man. He taught me many things; shooting a shotgun comes immediately to mind ~ and I still laugh when Mom and her bestest friend re-tell the story of how I bounced butt over tea-cup from the "kick" right after pulling the trigger! Ah yes, he taught me well!

That man was quite the fisherman as well... He could put out a lay-line in New River standing in perfect balance on the bow of a Jon boat and have a cup of coffee never spill while doing it! He was famous for the fish Fry's with the catfish he caught by many... We all miss him, and will always miss his larger than life presence here on this earth and on New River... his river....

Now Brownie... being a WWII vet, a proud Marine, he could weave a story like you've never heard before... and as he aged he told the same stories so often that we all had them memorized by heart! I've been kicked in the shin under a table more than once for "mouthing the words" as he told the tales of Guadalcanal to others... Actually the reason we knew he had developed Alzheimer's is that his stories began to change! That was our first clue into the horrid disease that took him from Dorothy and I... Dorothy was his caregiver in the final years of his life. An amazing woman she has always been, and I as "the kid" was along for the ride; an often bumpy and scary exhausting ride it was.  So sad, that red ballcap with his Marine insignia medals stolen in the last day of his life...
Funny how "Phony Baloney" was he and Dr Elisabeth Kubler-Ross' favorite saying! Hope they cross paths in spirit land where she is dancing through the galaxies and he is no doubt riding on lightning bolts and playing with the kids; he just loved the kids!

Am I triggering any of your memories or favorite times, things, ice cream cones yet???

Now George... We just loved us some George! George was the "southern gentleman" and lived right up a little hill from my Mom (aka COB)... They were the best of friends along with Aunt Linda. And George had the best of southern accents ... a handsome devil he was.
George visited here in FL. several times with the sisters and we had a ball. George loved big band music, beautiful women and going out for dinner and cocktails.
He particularly loved scotch on the rocks with a tiny and I mean tiny drop of water!
George has been a part of our family over 20 years I'm thinkin' and he could talk about anything to anyone at anytime... Oh how we loved him and enjoyed him.
George had a beautiful head of white hair and when he had his cocktail in hand, you would watch him watch those making music... he had such a deep love of music and good times. George lived by his motto of this:
"I'm in the NO PRESSURE ZONE"
and he meant it, he had no time for Pressure, no need for it, and refused to buy into it from anyone.
Now that is a positive role model if ever there has been one...
From the time my Godson was tiny he would teach him the beauty of a woman with these words,
"Look son, (and point to a lady) Lovely Lady"!
So when Buddy Pal was 3 and to this day, we can be in a restaurant and he will smile and look at the family and say,
"Lovely Lady" and smile like a sly fox!
Yes, we miss our men in the family... their influence, their stories and their laughter...
But we are all the better for having them, we were blessed by them, and are grateful for that.
We pray that Kamryn and D'Vante will grow into the men that we can be proud of, that they will stand for something and not fall for anything. We pray that they will become men of honor, of humility and of truth and pride.
They have known such men in their lives; maybe just maybe they have known them long enough to help shape their future... only time will tell.
It is up to us to keep the memories of these men alive in their hearts. It is up to us to provide them with men to look to for guidance; our family of choice Mitch comes to mind; another strong man, a good man, a honest man that will teach them those traits and teach them truth and laugh with them while doing it and praise them for jobs well done... Yep, that's a good idea!

"Regard Heaven as your father,
Earth as your Mother
 and all things as your Brothers and Sisters."

So, I'm thinking... today the barbecue grills will fire up, the boats will be out on the water... Dads' will be getting breakfast in bed; ties that they try to like, shorts and t-shirts that say "Best Dad"

Memories will flood the senses, trips will be made to cemeteries to lay flowers, to set wreaths, to remember and honor...

Single Moms will be out there doing what they do everyday, making a day with their kids! They should be honored too!!! After all; they are filling the roles of both Mom and Dad every single day... Some by choice, some by circumstance...
To them I say: BRAVO ~ you da best ~

Wherever you are
Whatever you are doing today
I wish you ENOUGH

BP? SAVE OUR GULF... No phony Baloney... Hiring workers? Paying them? Really?
From CNN yesterday:
The judge that BP wants to hear an estimated 200 lawsuits over the Gulf of Mexico oil disaster gets tens of thousands of dollars a year in oil royalties and is paid travel expenses to industry conferences.


The Louisiana Environmental Action Network is reporting that British Petroleum is threatening to fire fishermen hired to help with the oil spill cleanup for using respirators or other safety equipment that wasn’t provided by the company. One prominent health expert says that BP is “running the Gulf region like a prison warden”.
BP is admitting that oil is escaping from the leak at such high pressure that if they try to cap it the entire well may blow. Carl-Henric Svanberg, the BP chairman, has apologized for referring to those affected by the Gulf of Mexico oil spill as “small people”. BP says that the dispersant chemicals that it is using are safe, but the EPA is not so sure.
Some are warning that the dispersants that BP is using, when combined with oil, are going to create an ecological disaster of unprecedented magnitude. Sea creatures all along the Gulf of Mexico are gathering along shore in an attempt to get away from the massive oil spill spreading through the Gulf. {One blogger says that the oil spill can reach NC any day now... }
 dead whale has been found floating in the Gulf of Mexico 77 miles south of the Deepwater Horizon oil spill site.
UH... BP wassup with this... what are you doing ..... we are waiting here....



The fire is burning brightly, thoughts of strength, hope, power on the gentle breezes to those of you who are fighting the fight, those who are standing strong, those who are weary...
We are warriors here.
We are with you, united with some powerful angels on this page.

FOR: Our beautiful Gulf of Mexico and all those affected/infected by this negligence of BP, our sea-life creatures, those living in and on the gulf waters and trying to make their livelihoods and provide for their families our prayers are with you and yours... Please help our Gulf... 




Our North American Black American Bears and Lily and HOPE, http://www.bear.org/ , Dr Rogers, Donna, Sue,
and Chris, Jill , the folks at the NABC, Joseph, Cathy M., Vicki and Matthew, Cindy in NC, Cindy C, Laura, Mitch and family, Liz, Lee, Molly, Joanie, Jude, COFA,Judi, Sara, Jade, Ann, Josh, Matthew, Matt, Mark's family and many friends , Andrea, Jimmy, Marie and family up in New England, Pat, Dorothy, Angela, Elijah, Ode, Linda M, "Southwest VA", Josey, Irene, Kevin, Dr D, Deb, Randy, Dr B , Charlie and family, Booker, Bernice, Jean, Julie, Rhonda, Victoria, Mildred, Andi and family, Irene, Faith, Denise, Jim, Tom, Joey, Shelby friends and family, Judi, Phylis, Joyce, Gina, Tonya, Deb O., Beverly and Family, Janeth, Melissa, Pam, Virginia, Stacey, Kevin Edward Belevich and his Pops Jack Phelan, Elizabeth, Nita, Gary Siegal, Adrienna,Brian Mawbey, of Mafia Wars,
and...

Walk In Beauty,
DRSES
author of
Healing Heartaches, Stories of Loss and Life
http://www.drsherryeshowalter.com/
for your author-graphed copies or click below







7 comments:

Irene said...

Sunday, Happy Father's Day to My Dad and all
the dad's here and gone. I whet my breath up to the heavens. He has visited me for days in the form of a large Florida grass
hopper / cricket. Just won't go away, hanging on my Florida room screen, same one.
So I talk to it, wish it well and keep going.
A strong man, WWII vet / POW told his stories, shared his love with everyone.
Have a great day, pray for our GULF, we need rain. Tears of sadness, tears of joy, FIRM

Unknown said...

When I was in grade school, my Dad took me with him to work duringthe summer days. He cleaned furnaces in peoples homes. I wold pack us bologna sandwiches ans a thermos of soup. He let me hold his wrenches and drag the sooty hoses from the truck. I loved it then and treasure the memory now. My Dad and I were always very close. He loved me unconditionally. He worked hard all his life, and "Rube Goldberged" everything he ever built or fixed around the house. A humble man. A family man. My Dad. Today I am honored to have been his daughter, his freind and his caretaker in the end of is life. Big, tough Marine that he was, I called him "Boopie", and he allowed it. Alzheimers stold his mind, his abilities, chased away all his friends. In the end, at his graveside, I had never even considered that we would need pollbearers... Greif stricken comes to mind. And so, my dearest friend Sherry, gathered up some gravediggers and helped them carry his flag draped coffin to the grave. Talk about someone you can count on through thick and thin. Sherry was my entire family that day. It was "The Kid" and I that honored him, and laid him to rest. To this day I think of him often and hold him close in my heart. He was not an educated man, not a religious man, he was not a wealthy man, but he was the best Dad I could have ever wished for. The Father I would have wished everyone I know and love could have had in their lives. I learned right and wrong, fairness, resourcefulness and honesty from him. He gifted me a strong sense of self-worth and an unbelievable work ethic. He taught me to love fully, without reservation. To be above all else, loyal and trustworthy. Thanks Boop, for all you gave, you will live in me as long as I live.

Anonymous said...

good morning and also
HAPPY FATHER'S DAY....
I am fortunatte in so many ways,
MY DAD is still with us, can not begin to
imagine my life without him...
We were also not a wealthy family. however
immeasurably rich with love and guidance
with the love of our parents.
Dad also taught a great work ethic,
uncoditional love, sense of pride and
MANY ICE CREAM CONES....one of my most favorite
memories, all 5 of us children, and any
neighborhood kids whom we could fit in
the car...taking a special trip to our
local park to feed the ducks, and the
icecream cone stop on the way home....
He loved to ttake us to the beach, rain or
shine, and spend hours with us in the
surf, laughing and playing... He lost his
Dad when he was 2.... perhaps a reason he put
so much of his energy into being the best
Dad we could ever wish for.... I thank him
quite often for being "the smartest man I
ever knew".....The world is surely a better
place because of all the great DADS....
I wish you all a day of peace in your
soul, just as Sherry has described...
What a wonderful blog today....
I am also appalled at BP but today
I will not give them space in my head...
The sealife and all the folks who are suffering
because of them, how we can help, that
is what I hold in my heart today.
The highly overpaid "small" people of
BP.... not room for them today...

Anonymous said...

Absolutly a great ,
GREAT tribute today,
I am honored to have read this
blog...the words spoken here
touch my soul...Thank you !

Anonymous said...

My Dad, My Pappy, our rock to guide us to pick us up when we fell to hold onto during rough times. May Dad and Mom had 11 children, 2 died shortly after birth. Both Dad and Mom worked hard. We always had someone to talk to during the hard times. I remember many times my Dad teaching me to drive. He had a real old straight stick truck. He took me to get my permit and low and behold I ran out of gas. He was not a happy person as I was supposed to get the gas. He was very protective of his family. He would take us to the out door skating rink and he would let us stay 1hr. when he came back to get us I would always cry and run and hide. I wanted more. WE worked in the garden and we had chores to help with the little ones. He worked away from home some and if we were not good Granny gave him a report and he would say go out there and pull off a switch and bring it to me. By the time they kept getting smaller and smaller he would not use them. It was just him letting us know we should do better. Dont remember my Pappy ever whipping me and I am sure I needed it more than once. He was a hard working man, he took us to Church and he also took us to the drive in movies. Oh for the good old days. Alzhimers robbed him of so much life. He always knew I would take care of him and it was a hard job. I can see his beautiful eyes shinning when my Mom and I walked into the Nursing home and I always had on something bright. His eyes would follow me and he knew I had something that would taste good for him. I will forever miss him and wish he could have stayed longer to help us with the boys growing up now. Happy Fathers Day to a great dad.

chris said...

Today is a very bittersweet day for me as I am sure it is for many of us. My husband was a really good father to our kids-he was always there for them and protected us as best he could. Many memories--lots of laughs and love. Not perfect but no one is. They have all called me today to remember-it was good to hear their memories and laugh with them. As for Dorothy, your Dad sounded wonderful--I am so glad that you had the support you needed from him and later from Sherry. What a ride!!

Vicki said...

A few minutes left of this sad "Father's Day" for me...without my beautiful Dad...He died in 2006 and took a large piece of my heart...He was the BEST Dad a girl could ever want...kind, giving, humble, compassionate, fun, funny, lovable, adorable, sweet, gentle, handsome...this kinda sums it up for my beautiful "Georgia born" Dad with that beautiful "Georgia accent" that he was known for...I just had one of his male friends tell me this week..."Boy your Dad was something else." I said..."I know".....well because I do know... I sure hope to see him again one day...
Sherry...I knew about Paul's son (his 3rd) from his proud sister on my Facebook page...the morning he was born!
Hope all enjoyed their "Father's Day"!