Thursday, July 8, 2010

HOW TO: STRESS!!!

STRESS
CAN MAKE YOU DO
VERY STRANGE THINGS


Stress: (verb with object) 1. to emphasize, 2. to subject to strain
(noun) 3. physical, mental or emotional strain or tension 4. emphasis

Good morning with coffee from Disney... Stress... Disney in July; theme parks, lines among lines of people... all rushing... all wanting to do mass, coming/going/doing/running/yelling/hollering/
things...

Parents having spent lots and lots of money (did I mention the lots of money spent)
to have a great time, Hallmark kinda time... with kids...
NOW... here's the amazing part: those very same loving and giving people are "dragging their kids! YELLING at their kids! The kids are exhausted, "stressed", the parents are saying things like, "Wait until I get you home", or "do you want me to take you home RIGHT NOW", and some parents are just beating/slapping and hitting their kids right out in public....
And they paid $80 plus bucks to get in the place to have FUN... and they are stressed!!!
AND THEY ARE NOT HAVING FUN!!!
WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE???

We are on the other hand, having the time of our lives ~ just as silly as silly can be... that's us all right! Each breath, each day, each minute a joy an adventure, a treasure....
I wish I had invented "Lines"...
Where was I anyway... ah... stress... heehe


Let’s talk about how we make ourselves crazy. Let’s face it, there are everyday stressors in everyone’s life. Good things cause stress, bad things cause stress ~ It's just the way it is...

It’s the natural state of world to be forced to cope with stress as we move through our day.

OK, but what about all the self-inflicted stress we welcome into our lives? Go to Disney... just go to watch people, I swear it is amazing... the number of people who look like you are punishing them to just be there... who complain about standing in line! And oh my... the ones who fuss at their kids... and yell ~ I almost got myself in trouble over bearing witness to that nonsense... Talk about self inflicted ...


But there are some folks who just to spin in stress...
Do you go to bed at night still wrestling with the stress not dealt with today. Toss and turn, wake up a thousand times your head spinning? Twitching with dread, anticipating tomorrow’s pressures?
Are you feelin me?
Oh yeah, does that resonate?


Sure recipe for waking up less able to cope.

So, we start the day worn out from a sleepless, or near sleepless night, and expect ourselves to be ready for a peak performance in this day.

This is crazy making at it’s finest.
So how do we get off the merry-go-round of stress?
STOMP.


Say NO.
No to bringing home work stress.
Say no to the demands others inflict on our time.
Stop making ourselves so busy that we can’t possibly ever catch up.
Does all the worry about what we have not yet done produce results? Nope.
Does taking on too many tasks allow us to face a well organized day?
Does trying to squeeze in quality time to enjoy our life fix the problem?
Or is the problem that we are not realistic about how much one should reasonably try to do in any one day?
By taking on more and more things to do, and running ourselves ragged trying to do it all and be it all is crazy making.


I’d personally rather do one thing well than swat at fifty things and have to redo each because I never could stop spinning and stressing about all the things still on my list of “to dos”. There is an easy answer. Say NO. Sorry, my plate is full. Just can’t take on one more thing until I catch up.
 I often say “ Thank you for thinking of me for this opportunity, but I know that I can’t give this: project, task, chore, etc the attention it deserves”.
Would love to join you for; that meeting, dinner, community project, dance recital, etc. but I have a full plate. Perhaps a rain check. Glad you asked, but, sorry, I can’t participate.
Try it. Trust me, you will have other opportunities.
Just stop and clear the deck.


Lists work for me. I make a list of EVERYTHING that is jammed in my head, every, and I mean EVERY thing I think I have to do, want to do, meant to do, must do, think I ought to do. Then, and here’s the trick.
Highlight the one’s that are deal breakers. The ones that would cost you your job or your life, or your well being if you did not tackle them today.


Next, put them to order.
 What MUST be done first?
How many are longer term efforts that you must spend some time on over time.
Are that you just have to do right this very moment?
If so do it.
 Good, now that one is off the list.
The long term ones you are already working on. Draw a line through the ones that you really don’t have to do.
The ones that jump on the list because you let them.
Like, Oh, I don’t know, let’s say, the Sunday paper laying around until Thursday because you didn’t have time to read it.
Toss it in the trash.
 Gone.
Now you’re getting in the spirit.
The two million emails that have been haunting you for months. (fEELIN ME HERE TINK?)
Just because someone sent it to you, there is no rule that says you must attend to each and every one.
Hit the delete button.
 Gone. Ah, that was easy.
Trust me, if you deleted an important one, someone will resend it.
 Now speaking of emails... that is a real pet peeve of mine. In this day of fast everythings, if someone takes the time to email you, the least you can do is respond "timely". IF you are not going to respond timely... then delete the daggone thing. I mean it really gets me... I take the time to send an email to someone, and it would take all of 5 minutes of their precious time to respond... but ohhh nooo, guess they are just too busy to do it, and then poof... days later I get a reply... C'mon now...


So, now, already the list is much shorter. NEXT… What is on the list that you don’t even want to do?
What petty obligatory junk did you list that will only cause you aggravation?

Scratch it out. Do you really want more irritation in your life.
Did you forget the “Say No” rule?
Stop agreeing to do things and go places, that don’t work for you.

Now your list should look a lot more reasonable. Much more “do able”.
If anything is still on the list that is busy work, dump it. Good Job!
See anything else on there that you now would enjoy crossing off just because you can?
DO IT.
So tell the truth, are you a bit less stressed already?
You should be.
The really important stuff will find it’s way back on the next list you make.
Trust me on this.

Make tomorrows list today.
 Then when you go to bed tonight, tomorrow is already organized and manageable.
You need not spend your sleeping hours twisting it all around, considering getting up in the middle of the night to worry.


Take back your personal power.
Lead your life, don’t be a victim to self-made stress.

Now for the stressful stuff that is out there everyday no matter what we do.
Let’s say, too many phone calls.
Ever hear of voice mail.
Let the machine take the calls.
You can check it once or twice a day and return the calls you want to.
 You DO NOT have to answer every call.
Let’s face it, if YOU had wanted to talk to the caller, you would have called them. I have such a reputation of NOT answering my phone callers are pleasantly surprised when I do!
Easier to manage your time if you have fewer interruptions.

Traffic stress you out?
Why?
Do you really think that getting all worked up while sitting in a traffic jam helps you in any way?
Leave a bit earlier, take a different route, or kick back, crawl along as best you can and listen to a good book on the car sound system.
 I’ve had days where I prayed for a longer commute because I was really engrossed in a book on tape.
Works for me.
 My blood pressure never goes up because the other drivers are nuts.
 I have no space in my head for that foolishness. There are idiots on the road.
I just watch out and avoid them best I can.


I could go down this path a long way my friends.
But I will close with a quick review.


First decide how much stress you want in your life.

Second, de-stress your life in big and small ways, always. STOMP.


Third, accept that some stress is a natural consequence of being alive.

Fourth, Say NO more often. It is all about choices.


Fifth, instead of making yourself crazy, laugh at how crazy it can get.


Sixth, know that you are in charge of the quality of your life. STOMP

Last: Do NOT practice Kamryn's pose in that picture... your eyes might get stuck that way!
LOL... One last thought...
If/when you decide to "splurge" and go to Disney...
Do it with wild abandon... do it with joy... do it at a "laid back pace and attitude"...
Relax, watch people, have FUN, make memories, make MAGIC...
Life is too short... to do it any other way!

The fire is burning brightly, its embers are HOT
Sending hope in healing on the winds to all who gather here and for all in Tampa, the families of the fallen, those in blue who are grieving while they are serving and protecting us.


To those who are serving this great Nation, I thank you and your families, I want you home safely.

We are together in prayer, in thoughts of all that is needed to remind you out there, we are WARRIORS... we are with you, along with some powerful angels... May you find comfort in knowing we are with you always:



FOR:Tampa, our Mayor, Chief, Tampa PD, all who serve: Tink..and


Trish, Barb, Anastasia, The Kocab Family, Curtis Family, Tampa PD, those serving here and there in Uniform...


Randy and Winnie in New Mexico,


Our Black American Bears Lily and HOPE, their spirit, and Chris, Jill, the folks at the NABC, Joseph, Cathy Madden and her family., Vicki and Matthew, Cindy in NC, Cindy C, Laura, Mitch and family, Liz, Lee, Molly, Joanie, Jude, COFA,Judi, Matthew, Matt, Mark's family and many friends , Andrea, Jimmy, Marie and family up in New England, Pat, Dorothy, Angela, Elijah, Ode, Linda M, "Southwest VA", Irene, Kevin, Dr D, Deb, Randy, Dr B , Charlie and family, Booker, Bernice, Jean, Julie, Rhonda, Victoria, Mildred, Andi and family, Irene, Faith, Denise, Jim, Tom, Joey, Shelby friends and family, Judi, Phylis, Joyce, Gina, Tonya, Beverly and Family, Janeth, Melissa, Pam, Virginia, Stacey, Kevin Edward Belevich and his Pops Jack Phelan, Elizabeth, Nita, Gary Siegal, Adrienna,Brian Mawbey,






Please hold the friends and family of these people in your hearts and prayers as they begin that long and uncertain journey through grief and into the lights of healing...

Walk In Beauty,


DRSES
http://www.healingheartaches.com/

6 comments:

Cathy Madden said...

Oh my I'm first today. You truly hit the nail on the head today. Yesterday I took the grandsons to The Children's Museum. My sis and her best friend were having Grammy Camp! I picked up Grandsons and proceeded to downtown Houston from the burbs. Traffic! Grands wanted to know how long it was going to take to get through the traffic jam. Well who knows but I told them most likely a few minutes. People cutting in and out of lanes, I just crept along calmly wanting grands to learn to not get stressed. We got there and had a wonderful time. Made memories. Lots of noise. Lots of children. Lots of memories. Wishing Grands mother didn't have to work and could be there with us. Precious daughter is a stressed Mom with a new husband trying to blend families and raise admiriable sons. Lots of stress there. Well, STOMP! I'm going back to bed since I woke up at 4:00 because brain went into overdrive. Have a great day one and all.

Irene said...

Well, Sherry, WE SHOULD PAY YOU for today's blog. What a lesson in STRESS and how to press " delete " from our lives. I, for one, am the stress queen, but have learned to manage, make lists, shut the brain OFF well before bedtime. Thank you, thank you for the giggle I got reading about the parents in the
Disney atmosphere, heat, lines, STRESS !!!!!
You cracked me right up. Have a great time with the family and keep those thoughts / blogs coming. I sooooooooo enjoy them !
Sending you FIRM ICE SCREAM !!!!

Anonymous said...

Great blog and awesome advice!
I have also been to Disney and witnessed
the idiocy of impatient people.. what a
waste of energy and money !
Happy to hear you had a great day.
Love Kamryn's picture... LOL !
Love the LIST advice.. I've been doing
it for awhile myself... it works, so much
trivial, unnecessary stress avoided !
I would like to take some space,if you
don't mind... to THANK YOU, each of you..
for all the well wishes and support for
our family yesterday...a day of quiet, peace
lots of healing, SERENITY. and yes,
DANCING DOLPHINS ! Our family surely felt the love and caring of some powerful ANGELS !
with our Jaren leading the dance...
Sherry is so on the head of the nail, her
words...DEATH CANNOT SEPERATE THOSE WE LOVE
FROM US...IT IS NOT THAT STRONG..ONLY A
HEARTBEAT AWAY ! Jaren is in our souls and hearts
all of the time...her many friends are awesome
in their kindness...they are a tribute to her
short but SWEET life....
MOST HUMBLY, WADU, THANK YOU !
The door to the dark cave became forever
closed yesterday.....
Have a wonderful vacation with your family,
gotta go start crossing things off my
list.... with love and wishes that the
ANGELS SING SWEET SONGS TODAY !
sign me, Andrea
STOMP !

Anonymous said...

Tink here, UTALKIN'TOME?? Huh Dr. SES? I am layin' low, real low..I say no, well sometimes...but those lists, I lose them too quickly! I have however found that Scotch helps alot...Scotch Tape that is! What were you all thinkin'? Prioritize?, well, life IS a priority, enjoying it is a luxury, livin' it is extreme, and sometimes a challenge, physically and mentally! I do so appreciate U and all the friends I have found from here to there and everywhere (love that Seuss too!) We will all get through it ALL! (Even Disney, but how's that humidity working for ya'll hope you're being smart with IceIceBaby!) Way to be Andrea, you are a force to be reckoned with the power of your voice today! You show such a positive energy through your words today, thank you all! You all are awesome!!! Be BlEsSeDd!!

Anonymous said...

Late read again, made my list and I think I put dynamite this day at the bottom. Oh well another upside down day gave me a whole new perspective. Will try again tomorrow. List for tomorrow... SURVIVE FRIDAY. Yipee, weekend commin on strong. Lots of love to all. Remember George and his "no pressure" zone.
Enjoy the fam, enjoy the magic of Disney. Thansk for the blogs even when you are on vacation.

Anonymous said...

I see stress as a two way street. Some people are ready to critisize others when they dont look deep for the problem. As far as the phone and deleting and not answering emails to be that is a lack of poor taste and not really caring. We each do what we feel we have to do. The courtesy of emailing, telephoning and just being is if you dont want to answer the phone or return the emails just tell the person and it will not happen again. There are ways to deal with everything. Some people express their stress in different ways and should be recognized and questioned what their stress is about if it happens often. In todays society people are so wrapped up in self and others they dont take the time to just talk about problems or things that is happening. The No pressure zone is a good place to be if you lived in a cave. Have a stress free day? Ok, do what you want to do and do it well.