Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Helping Others, even other Countries

This is
Our Eagle
The very one that watches over us
On Lake Tarpon
like a trusted Friend

During great times on the lake,
during sad times, bad times
times of profound grief
and heartaches
that Eagle will let us know
that it is there
it will make itself known
by soaring over the boat
and then taking its place as an old friend
as a guardian to our presence
our joy and our pain
watching over us.
To remind us
"I AM HERE, I'LL HELP,
and
"I'LL STAND BY AND FOR YOU"
><
STOMP
You just cannot get a
stronger message
than that friends.
<>
You just have to be
open to receive the messages
that you receive
they are always there
if you
are open and ready to receive them.

A beautiful woman once embraced me
and then looked me in the eye
and said,
"When the student is ready, the teacher appears"
i will never ever forget her or that statement.

We as people must put our oxygen mask on first
and then we are able to render help to others.
WE must love us, forgive ourselves,
before we are able to love and to be present for others.

><


Just as that majestic
Eagle on Lake Tarpon
watches over us
it first watches out and over
'self'
and those little ones in its
nest.
But
it stands for our country
it stands
for freedom
and all that has ever been
or will ever be
in this
great Nation of ours.
It is seen in many forms
across the sky
that takes our breath away.
It reminds us
that
these colors do NOT run.
It can be found on
tattoo's of folks around the country
on the sides of jets
and on the arms
and backs
of Americans
and
soldiers
now fighting for US
around the globe.
WE STAND
and we say thank you across the Nation,
some give some
some gave ALL
in uniforms of the Military
in Uniforms of Blue, of Red, of brown
of
Volunteers
who protect, and help.

Helping others, even other countries.
BUT
Helpers, it begins
WITHIN
Helpers help yourself.
Of course there will always be those who
argue, who disagree who get wrapped up
in the politics, in "who shot john stories"
and
who condemn.
Those who say
our government and President is doing it wrong or bad or that he just plain out sucks.
It will always be that way, it has since
Watergate, since the country lost respect of
the person who sits in the
White House.
BUT
if you really think about it,
if you keep it real
it goes back long before that.
It goes back
to
the treaties broken long before our times.
Interesting
no one wants to go back that far.
No one.

So we only want to know and to go back as far as we want to go back.
We only want to hear what we want to hear
and to remember what we read and what pertains to us in the now
and what is our spin on things.
BUT
we want swift action
we
want our house values to be worth what they were we when paid for them
and we
want
a "bail out"
don't get me wrong here
I want that too!
BUT
I want it all!
and
I want to know
Why
why are we not taking care of our own
and let's start with our own
right here
where the Eagle flies
and
those in the poorest lands
and
the highest risks
the neglected most
for
the longest time.
Mr President, Oprah.

Jay Z who I read yesterday has 45 million dollars, and Wil I am who makes houses happen for single moms (by the way darlin boy, Cousin Angie and my Godsons in southwest VA is a single mom with two boys) could use a home.
Where are you?
BUT
more importantly
where are you when it comes to
STANDING UP
and taking a STAND
for those on our soil
out there in
South Dakota
who are hungry
without clothing
without the basic needs
of computers and education
and
HOPE
the
descendants of
the
First Americans
of
Wounded Knee
and others living
in abject poverty
that our our brothers and sister
of
America.
The
children
the
Elders
the
Veterans of Wars fought
for America
that are there
too.
What about them
the forgotten on our soils.
Why have no shows been on T.V.
no celebrities taking up prime time to raise monies,
no Presidential address saying this is
a National Tragedy that now must be addressed,
No first Lady saying we must now take action,
NO fans on a facebook having fundraisers
to send clothing, monies, foods
to a proud but humble people
whose Ancestors walked this land
and revered the North American Black Bear
and
honored and cherished the land beneath their feet
and
no country music star,
no MC Hammer, No Jay Z,
No Black Eye Pea Wil I am
and
No Oprah,
No Jay Leno,
No Ellen DeGeneres
No View or Whoopi
No Barbra Walters

wanting to interview
a man that was called
"Uncivilized"
Walter LittleMoon
who was brutally wounded'; physically, mentally, spiritually and emotionally as a child
in Indian Boarding Schools -
given an opportunity to tell the world
of the realities of our Nation
and the treatment endured by the hands
of others
to ensure
that it will never ever happen again.

STOMP

I cannot help but
be
bewildered by this
and
I ask
after watching this
video again:
how can this be
that no one cares ...


Knowledge is power,
HOPE is in the telling of the stories
and
people need to know
and
more than that
this video needs to be shared
the movie needs to be made.
What is it called?
the Independent film industry that we watch on television?
Someone needs to hear of this,
needs to interview
Walter LittleMoon and the others on this video
and to start writing letters
to get the attention
of those mentioned above.
AND warriors
if you are doing your spring cleaning
and you want to help by sending
clothing,
blankets, coats, sheets
or toys, school supplies, and such
to those at Wounded Knee:
Just do it
PUT A NOTE IN THERE
that says this:
"Friend of Walter LittleMoon"
and send it to:

The Wounded Knee Community Center
General Delivery
Wounded Knee, SD 57794

There are times,
when we help ourselves by stepping up
and helping others.
We do not need a
"pat on the back, or a calendar, or a mailing label, or a bunch of those labels with our return addresses on them"
we know where we live and have a pen to write our own address don't we?
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I may not remember. Involve me and I'll understand"
So, here is an opportunity for all to really understand
by getting involved!

So
there you have it.
I don't know about you
but
I am taking care of those in my own family,
putting on my oxygen mask on first
and
then helping those in need
with theirs right here on my land
where those first Americans
were the
FIRST RESPONDERS; the proud, the ones who believed and knew that we do not own the land, we are the keepers, the ones who will walk gently and ask permission for all that we do with respect and with honor in right way relations.
for the lands
where the Eagle Soared
and
the North American Black Bear was revered
with its medicine and its freedom
on our land.

To all our relations
I say thank you
and
so it is
for that I give great thanks.

To those who have served and those who are serving
I thank you and your families.

I now am headed to the airport for Kansas,
be well
stay blessed
and
Here's to all you dare to dream
May your spirit soar under the watchful eye
of
our majestic Eagle.
STOMP

Wado
The Fire is burning brightly, the sage is filling the air with thoughts of healing ways on the winds to all today.
Walk in Beauty,
DRSES
author of
Healing Heartaches, Stories of Loss and Life


















11 comments:

Angie said...

Good morning Cuz...what beautiful pics and I remember that beautiful Eagle on Lake Tarpon. As you said...always there watching over us~~
I have lots of clothes that we will be packing up and sending to SD. I will also pass the word around~It is very sad that we will help take care of others in different countries but not in our own back yard.
I hope you have a safe trip to KS~If you see Oz let him know that there are lots of people in the USA that needs a heart :)
Be safe and know that we love you "whole lots"
Great blog today~~
Love ya~~

Irene M said...

Doc, safe travels to the land of Dorothy & OZ.
I love when you remind us in your words that
"When the student is ready, the teacher appears". Hits me like a hammer.
It seems that the focus of our nation's needs has been lost and shifted elsewhere. Without seeming political, those in the $$$$$$ should open their eyes & wallets right here in this country and HELP, PROVIDE and aid those in need
Nuff said, I will do my part as best I can.
Irene stands FIRM

dotti said...

Safe journey to you Sherry. I have made a contribution this morning, towards the completion of Walter's movie ~ how can anyone who purports themself to be a Native American, not participate in some way, shape or form? You told me once that my fraction of Cherokee blood is not the issue ... I either am, or I am not Cherokee. I AM CHEROKEE, and I stand, and STOMP with my brothers and sisters. Wado, and blessings to you and our people♥

Anonymous said...

Dr. SES, this is a damn good blog today. It has made me mad and also pulled on my heart strings. Yes, where is George Clooney, Oprah, Angelina and Brad etc.. They are where the publicity is, get a gang of photographers, and people and they will come running to have their picture made and pet the children and hug the grown ups. Where is the help, who needs just their pretty faces, they are all fakes in my book. Why dont someone stand up and start a program with their people to help our people? Dame Elizabeth Taylor stood up for Aids and she spent lots of money helping others. Where is the help for SD? I am really ticked off about this situation. You can believe I will get something going here. I made a comment yesterday to a dear friend of mine and her comment was it is going to cost a lot of money to ship anything. Now that is a real attitude when it comes to helping people. Come on people where are you when others need you?? Get off your a-- and do something. God Bless America and God Bless the land we live on and took away from the Indians and look at our life and look at SD. We need to pray and we need to help. Sign me mad as h---. Thank you troops for what you are doing so our life can be safe. God Bless the President for what he is trying to do and it goes back years. Each President receives a mess when he takes over the Presidents job. Gotta go, cause I am going to get busy and find something to send. Sign me MAD

Anonymous said...

WOW, what a great blog today. Strong statements and true. The beautiful eagle, all that it stands for, and all that we ought to stand for. Our first Americans... I will also send what I can, and enlist the help of friends who have resources to share. I'm ashamed that it takes this blog to wake me up to the many issues that I can participate in. Thank you doc. Safe travels.

Anonymous said...

words to live by they are...
Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I may not remember. Involve me and I'll understand"
Beautiful, and well spoken words, lets all get packing! I got nothin' better to do this weekend! Wado, safe home friend!

Ridgway & Littlemoon said...

Dear FRiends

We'd like to thank you all for your concern and generosity to our friends and neighbors out here in Wounded Knee.

But we hope we can redirect your compassionate efforts - toward contributing to the completion of the documentary. That documentary is being put together by very good men in Hollywood and stands a good chance to make it into the Sundance film festival - which will possibly get national attention and spread this message far and wide.Where to donate is listed on the website and it's a very secure, safe company.

thank you all for caring,
Jane and Walter

kelly 2 Wolves said...

Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I may not remember. Involve me and I'll understand"
Beautifully stated,

SILENT REFUGEE
I am the silent refugee,
passed by , by willfully ignorant people.
The POW MIA
staring you in the face,
glance away, glance away,
From the living breathing Artifact
left to memories of old and childs games,
shoot um up shoot um up,shoot um up now
Look away, look away,
From your legacy the truth
not found in books of false History
set forth from cowards wagging tonges
I am the silent Refugee
pushed back and away
The POW MIA
Staring you in the face
glance away, glance away
From the living breathing Artifact
I am a part of you
the shadow of your fear
The heart that knows the truth
And the whisper in your ear.
I am the silent Refugee
I am alive today
a living breathing artifact
The Native POW MIA


Just came from nowhere 3/30/11 2 wolves

Anonymous said...

helloooooo
very powerful message here.. not much to add
just saying, count me in, if each person just
takes the time and effort to follow through,
we can make a huge impact... life is about giving of your self, and what a great place to
start... count me in.. I will ask all of those
I know who carry compassion in their hearts to also help out.. no gift is too small if given with graciousness and love.
Could not agree more with " where are all the bigwigs ?? need there be spotlights and glamour " ?? I hope not...
this a great challenge to each warrior here..
sign me, grateful and as usual,
hugging my angel ♥
sign me. A.

chris said...

after reading the comments from Walter and Jane, I too will be something to help pay the bill for the film--I just have one question--where do I send it? Just give me an address and it will be mailed. I am also thinking that maybe a letter writing campaign to get more. Much like was done for the black bears. This is so incredible that this is still happening. Talk about walking wounded indeed.
Hope you're staying warm up there Sherry-have a great time- I'm sure you will be ready for the warmth of home real soon.
Tal to ya soon--L&H

Ridgway & Littlemoon said...

Thank you.

The direct website for contributing is: www.humanarts.org The project goes by it's older name of "Something's Moving".

Or you can go to www.indianboardingschoolmovie.com and click on "home" for the website link and the physical mailing address.

I'm sorry I don't know how to add a link here.
Jane