Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Seeing It

Beauty

oH I do believe
Spring is springing here in Florida
as the Hibiscus are beginning to
"BURST"
so do the wonderful plants of spring
now coming up
in the yard!
Yes, COB made a safe landing in VA yesterday
she has decided early AM flights are much
to crowded
but
oh yes, she got her
fantastic seating in front of
Allegiant on the plane!
Before we know it,
she'll be on first name basis with the pilot
and
sitting right beside him or her
as she flies to and from Florida!
Sure am going to miss
my freshly made bed in the mornings
and my coffee and banana delivered here on the
lanai.

Tuesday morning is bright and beautiful
as
I sit and am reflecting on
"old friends"
this morning, after the post of yesterday
by a reader
"Ridgeway and LittleMoon"
Two old friends that I haven't seen in oh so many years, and I almost had to pick myself up off the floor when I read it!
My how wonderful is this thing called
Facebook
and the ability to
"re-connect".
As I went looking through the
"files of my brain" and the memories of my heart
I was filled with tender moments
of our last times together
the grand wit of my dear friend
Jane, now of
"Wounded Knee" South Dakota
with the tender soul and most remarkable gift of
humor.
Jane loved to sit down her cup of coffee
look at you with a twinkle in her eye
and say to you
"well, there ya go"
in a way that has stayed with me through the years!
Fun we had and much laughter we shared
at each others' tables oh so many
little and big moons ago.
Walter LittleMoon is a man who I have walked with in spirit since seeing him so long ago many times,
a gentle man, a man of the Lakota, a man of
Wounded Knee
a man of wounded spirit so long ago, a Lakota Man, a kind and tender man.
He and Jane have written a book now
a book that I am waiting to trade for mine.
It is a book
that needs to be read I am certain
as I will share here today, so you can order yours
now!
He is a man
to hear speak, and his is a story
that needs to be told.
Together so long ago,
Walter, Solomon, Jane and I
traveled to Capital Hill
to tell the story, to advocate, of
Life on the reservation
the poverty there, the BIA houses that were built and were sub-standard living for others.
The facts and the information fell on deaf ears
and blind eyes then.
His eyes were of steel as he spoke, his voice soft but hard at the same time,
his spirit broken through the years
as one who does not understand will never truly
"get it or grasp"
but he stood with grace and a fierce presence
I remember well.
And the suits pretended to listen, but we knew
they could care less.
 "You have noticed that everything as Indian does is in a circle, and that is because the Power of the World always works in circles, and everything tries to be round..... The Sky is round, and I have heard that the earth is round like a ball, and so are all the stars. The wind, in its greatest power, whirls. Birds make their nest in circles, for theirs is the same religion as ours...."
Native American quote


South Dakota and the reservation
there is the poorest in the Nation of ours
The suicide rate and alcoholism rates, the unemployment rates, and substandard living,
 and the abuse of women rates
 are the highest in the world.
What is even more remarkable is
NO ONE IS DOING ANYTHING ABOUT IT
FOR
THE FIRST AMERICANS IN OUR OWN COUNTRY
i do not know of one
celebrity that has stood on National television
for a "telethon" to raise awareness or monies
or
one effort underway
to reach the youth there.

Now speaking across the country, on compassion fatigue, on loss and grief, I always remember
those who were the first
caregivers
the first Hospice workers
the first responders
the first to suffer PTSD
the first to have compassion fatigues

AND
yes
Once again
It was
the Native Americans
the
First Americans

We are all a part of spiders web
all a part of the circle
all that moves in a circle
each that touches the other
the greater circle of life

How wonderful and blessed that I would hear from my friend Jane,
and so it goes!
And then to know
that now she is
Jane of Wounded Knee
with
Walter LittleMoon
and they have written a book
"They Called Me Uncivilized"
 AND
this is a video you want to see

"Somethings Moving"

You will see first hand
my friend
Walter Littlemoon
along with
the reason
that many are still walking wounded
around this nation.

BUT
we are still here
and
you can be sure
"something IS Moving"
and
the dance continues.

Here's a picture of
the book, snatched right off Amazon
for you to see!
Best of all things to you Jane and Walter,
I look forward to seeing you both again
dear friends, "to all our relations"
perhaps you will get to meet my
adopted sissy out there in Custer,
Kelly TwoWolves!
Wow how the circle is moving !!!

Thank
They Called Me Uncivilized: The Memoir of an Everyday Lakota Man from Wounded Knee

The fire is burning and the sage is fired up
With hope and thoughts on the wind to all who enter here,

Walk In Beauty,
DRSES
author of
Healing Heartaches, Stories of Loss and Life




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just when I'm ready to curse the computer I hear another story of connections and re-found friends. Always two ways of looking at everything. Of course there is the very real fact that without the computer, we would not have Dr SES' blog. That would be too sad to even contemplate. Am looking forward to reading Walter and Jane's book. First hand history is the most compelling view. Thanks for the backstory doc.

Irene M said...

It is said that we learn something new every day. What I learned today from this blog and the 7 minute video, I would rather NOT have learned because it has left me speechless to know the truth of what happened to Native Americans. Thank you for sharing your words, your friends' video & book information.
Thank you for the photo of the spring-time butterfly. Thank for you today, D Y S / firm

Anonymous said...

hellooooo.
STOMP...
It is beyond my imagination to comprehend.
I watched the video, WOW, powerful stuff.
I am not so proud to be as ignorant as I find myself. I will read the book, a must read in my mind.
Spring sure is showing itself, and I love the photo of that beautiful butterfly,
and I love what that butterfly means to my heart... thank you for today's powerful
message. WADU !
hugging my angels, sign me,
humbled . ♥ A.

Anonymous said...

The blog today touched my heart. The butterfly and the flower was so beautiful. Sorry your coffee is not served to you with your banana. You must train the 4 legged ones to go get it for you. I shall never forget the video. The faces of the children so hopeless and so sad much too old looking for their ages. The woman when they cut her hair. I guess I just dont understand why they would want the building left there. It caused so much hurt and heartache for so many people. All people always are in my prayers each day but I can tell you now I will say a powerful prayer for all of the kids and others in this video. God Bless them. God bless our soldiers, our policemen and women. USA wake up and take care of all of our people. God Bless USA

dotti said...

Good Wednesday morning Sherry... just heard Liz has passed on, and immediately thought of you. Have been reading though not commenting lately... having the cataract surgery tomorrow unless this snowstorm changes the Dr's scheduling. Blessings, dear Olivia the warrior! She is amazing, just like her Nana♥