Thursday, August 5, 2010

Godson's Birthday, Sweet 16

The Godmothers'
#1 Buddy Pal
D'Vante Todd Edwards
Happy 16Th Birthday Baby Boy
"Who loves ya baby"
Good morning morning~
This is what I put on Buddy Pal's Facebook page: PROMISE TO MY GODSONS:
 I will stalk you, freak out on you, lecture you, drive you crazy, be your nightmare, embarrass you in front of your friends, hunt you down like a bloodhound until the day you understand why I do it. Then I will know you are a responsible adult.... All because I LOVE YOU! You will never find someone who loves and cares about you more than the Godmother!
Well maybe Mom, but not more than me ;)
Jus' sayin'
And the kids all  know  me
to be a Godmother who keeps her word ~

So please join with me in wishing my Godson D'Vante (aka ODE) the very best of birthdays today!
Wow... remember being 16?
Another "rite of passage" for him to be certain!

Laughter is the shock absorber that eases the blows of life.  I love to surround myself with those who laugh as much as I do ~ Really laugh til your face hurts kind of moments ~


So even though we live with intention…. Sometimes the works get gummed up by one thing or another. We really must maintain the ability to laugh at ourselves.
To dig a bit deeper and find the humor in these everyday setbacks.
You know the old saying about making lemonade when you are handed lemons.
Or if you are Chris our Breast Cancer Survivor here on this page... she will tell you the lemonade is great after leaving both breasts in NY and leaving Cancer there with them... Now home in Florida and living large and laughing larger ~ She never dreamed that her new favorite color would be PINK, but it is!



Though I’ll grant you that not everything is funny, most things remembered through the rear view mirror of life have some tidbit of humor if we look for it.
I can think of a lot of times where in the moment I could see no light, no humor, only the worst of the worst.
But now, with a wide buffer of time I can look back and realize that even my most horrific life events held some glimmer of what I can now chuckle about.



So when it’s funny, laugh. When it’s silly, giggle. Cease the moment. Look for the humor in what may seem like a joyless moment.

I love Erma Bombeck’s outlook. She’s really very funny. Her take on life is well represented in her book If Life’s A Bowl Of Cherries, What Am I Doing In The Pits?
She one of those authors that you can just pick up, read a few pages and feel that smile growing on your face. When all else fails, give Erma a try. She puts a good spin on the everyday stuff that we all face.
I can always muster up a smile with her special take on life.


We all too often take ourselves, and our life’s circumstances too seriously.
This is never as bad as it can get. That alone makes life worth taking with a light hearted view.
 So sometimes we do get slammed. Mom aka (COB) is sitting at home (which she hates confinement) on rest only with 30+ stitches in her leg... Now while that really sucks... she is Cancer free and going to be greater than great! Not one to take medications; her pain meds are giving her all sorts of dreams:
At around 5am this morning she awoke so very upset as little Kamryn who is 8 getting ready to leap into 9 at the end of the month... presented to her crying saying he had no clothes to wear to the party! (yes, this was a dream)... She told him he could wear her purple jogging suit, which he did and it hung on him so pitiful, but he had on his Michael Jordon sneaks so he was good! But meanwhile Mom was crying at how pitiful this all was and awoke in severe leg pain... got up took her pill and started crying about little Kamryn in her jogging suit... (this time she was awake) Found herself pacing in her home just "bawling over Kamryn" and it hit her:  "This is hysterical, here I am crying over a dream and the kid has more matched clothes than I do", which put her in a fit of laughter!  Meds taken, back to bed, time ? 4:30am!!!
Yep, that was pretty funny you have to admit! To think she is having to stay "in" and "rest" for a week...  heaven help Dublin Virginia when she hits the streets ~
Gotta love that pain medicine ~ LOL

Sometimes we hit a rough patch.
This is not the end of our good life.
It is an event.
Let’s keep it in perspective.
 A bad knock?
Maybe so.
But if we can laugh at ourselves, brush off misfortunes with a bit of humor, we will get past the bumpy patches less devastated.



Humor has an unequaled ability to release endorphins in our nervous systems.
Laughter engages our muscles, our thoughts, our feelings, and drags us up out of the doldrums when we call it up.
So let’s not forget to use humor as often as we can. Look for the humor wherever it is, and inject some where it is not.
Give the gift of laughter often, for you, and for others.
Watch the dark clouds of despair part when infused with laughter.

Tell your stories especially the funny ones.
 Tell them often, and embellish them if necessary. Enjoy the physical, mental and emotional benefits.

In Radford Virginia my Godson is practicing football in the heat... #51 "the BEAST" is on the field... not once today on his birthday... But two practices with the coach and the team! Gotta get those Bobcats ready for the season... Ready to score big, tackle hard and focus ~

Notice the initials on that Warriors cheek? "SES" that would be "the bombdiggidety Godmother"!
That's my boy... my heart... pounding for him and his successes and laughter in his young life! Yep, I pray good things to come... the best is yet to come for him ~
This evening they will celebrate at a restaurant and then visit Mom with "the leg in the air" so she can hug the 16 year old for the first time in his life!
Let's hope she can stay awake with the meds she is on.
The fire is burning brightly and its embers are hot... Thoughts to and for so many, we are warriors here... thank you for the great wishes and prayers for COB/MOM... STOMP

Wherever you are and whatever you are doing... do it with laughter, do it with amazing amusement...

Walk In Beauty,
DRSES
Healing Heartaches, Stories of Loss and Life
http://www.healingheartaches.com/






7 comments:

Angie said...

Morning Cuz,
Still hard to believe Ode is 16 today!! Well I can but just don't want too b/c that means I am getting older as well :) Talked to him last night since he had to go spend the night w/best friend Dashon and he was alittle...just alittle excited about being Sweet 16. He was telling me what he wanted and how he wanted it. I said "Happy Birthday, I luv ya, see ya tomorrow" He just laughed.
We are sad that Cob will not be joining us this evening but she is being taken care of very well. She told Kam her dream last night and he just smiled. Not the laughter that we all shared but just a lil smile.
I will call u from the restaurant and when we get to Dot's. Sure wish u could be here. Wait...r u sure you are not coming? I know how you love to surprise us....
Have a great day cuzzie~~
I luv ya

Irene M said...

Let's see: laughter, legs, birthdays, dreams, pain meds, COB, tears, football. Nice blog today, covering al bases and to the POINT.
Life if good. I love the "SES" on his cheek.
You go ! ODE, be strong, be proud, be 16 ....
Happy Thursday to every single one of y'all
F I R M

Unknown said...

WOW! This should be a National Holiday. Sixteen and sweet too. Happy B'day T. CELEBRATE big time. 16 is a real turning point in life. Growing up to be all that yOu are meant to be. Sounds like they are taking the party to COB since she can't go to the party! What a GREAT idea. Wonderful to be young and strong, full of dreams and the promise of all that is yet to come. Best Birthday Ever T. Sending a freight train full of love with millions of box cars packed with hugs. Bet ya just wish I'd sent $$$$$. Great day to be you. Lucky me to know and love you.
Doc, another day to celebrate. Thanks for always sharing the highlights with us.

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO D'VANTE ! CELEBRATE THE LOVE !all well wishes for a great party !

AS for me...still stuck on making the most
of each second and having a blast ! he next 150 secs are devoted here,May we all have
our spec ial Angels to confide and laugh with
today.... the next 500 secs,
a cat nap...Best wishes for a great
happy day to all...STOMP..STOMP..STOMP..

dvante edwards (ode) said...

thanx to all! sometimes i forget to do my homework or take-out the trash but one thing i never forget is how great my family. it was a great bday! my best ever! i love you buddy pal!!!

Chris said...

Happy Birthday D'Vante!!!! may all your days be filled with wonder--
How does she do it??--I just spent several hours drinking lemonade with friends and then DRSES goes and mentions it in the blog! All i can do is laugh and then STOMP!!
By the way, I heard something very funny today--someone asked me how it felt to be bumper-less--for some reason that just tickled me-don't mean any disrespect to any other survivors out there. I guess it's just my way of dealing with it all...
Lemonade sure tastes good! Have a great day tomorrow-talk to ya tomorrow night.

Anonymous said...

I luv u, u are a hunk of a man. Are u sure u are just 16?? Oh my, I love that smile and them thar dimples. Where u be? I come looking for u. U keep on rocking and keep on luving that family of yourn. They sound like they rock, especially that buddy pal. Happy Happy, sweet 16. always remember the 16, cherish and love it, it will be gone tomorrow and u will be 16 and 1 day older.