Monday, August 16, 2010

~ We Get What We Give ~

PUcker UP Buttercup
It's MOnday!

Sunday, a day of staying in the shade, of laying low... very very low... Paying a hefty price for my "Stupid is as Stupid Does" on Saturday feat... De-hydration, low low blood pressure... yucky indeed...
BUT
It's a new week, new thoughts and new attitude!
Wooo Hooo
So, here's what I'm thinkin, this early mornin...
yep, I'm thinking >>> we get what we give!


We Get What We Give ~



If you had to describe yourself in one word, what would it be?
 Now give this some thought.
Just one word.
 This can be a challenging exercise, because we define ourselves with along list of characteristics.
But for this exercise, I ask that you pick the one lone quality or word that would give the world the most accurate definition of who you are.


Why?
 How we define ourselves is the force behind how we think, how we feel, the very lens we view our world through.
 Let me use an easy example.
If a person defined themselves as “tuff”, we think of them as; able to fight off their enemies, able to take whatever comes their way; strong, plucky, a scrapper. But wouldn’t those extensions of “tuff” as so lead us to thinking that they also might NOT be; approachable, tolerant, compassionate and tenderhearted?
So in selecting a label for ourselves, are we implying that opposite labels are not qualities we have?

Feels like a trick question doesn’t it?
 It’s not meant to be. It is just that there is power in words.
So what word did you select to describe yourself?

Does that definition rule out any others?
Maybe, maybe not.
Is it the same way others would describe you? Does the word you selected reflect your “public” persona (the way the world sees you) or some more hidden truth about yourself.
 I think that often we display some very unintentional messages by the very way we define ourselves.


Lets’ say we stick with the “tuff” imagine. Wouldn’t that mean that we carry ourselves with a certain posture. Might the message be, “don’t mess with me”, maybe by extension, “don’t approach me”.
 Might others see us as a bit dangerous, or intimidating? What body language would we choose if we intend for others to also identify us as “tuff”?

 Could our body language alone erect some barriers in our lives? Sure it could.
 On the other hand, in a more positive interpretation of “tuff”, might others seek us out if they felt they needed someone to back them in a disagreement, or to lean into in a crises?
Maybe.


On the other hand, if we chose the word “fragile” to describe ourselves. How might we appear to the world? Delicate, nervous, afraid?
 Would we relate to the “fragile” person in the same way?
Would we turn to this person for support or assistance if we needed it?
Would we automatically become the “care-taker” of the fragile?


Are we sporting the same definition of ourselves to everyone, or just to a select few?
You know what I mean.
Street Angel, House Devil.
 Ever heard that expression?
It’s someone who acts kind and caring, pleasant and sociable outside of their own close circle, then tyrannizes the family behind closed doors.

This duplicity often arises when people want to be seen in a way that they are not willing to sustain. So they may be a delightful party guest, but hell to live with.
 Ever known anyone like that?
 Or have you found yourself baffled by stories of behavior in a friends spouse that you could not have imagined, and certainly never witnessed yourself?

People are very complex. We all are. But let’s not forget that our own definition of who we are, in that one word example, may be the face we put forward consciously or unconsciously that brings to us unintended reactions form others. We do “get what we give”. We are always telegraphing messages with our posture, our body language, our words and expressions.
People do react automatically based on these messages.

So, if we send out the message ”leave me alone”, they will. If we telegraph a pleasant smile, or a curious look, we will illicit a different response.
Given that we may not always be aware of the messages we are sending, doesn’t it make sense that we sit for a few moments with the question?
How would we define ourselves.
What word would we use that would best characterize who we are?

Just some food for thought to start off your week... hope it is "wicked cool" in all ways!

The fire is burning brightly... thoughts being sent on the suns rays to all this morning ~

STOMP with great gratitude for this day.
Walk In Beauty,
DRSES
http://www.healingheartaches.com/

8 comments:

Irene M said...

Monday, new week, new assignment for the brain
ONE WORD descriptions can be very serious and interpreted as you stated, doc. Also mis-interpreted, wrong message. I do not like this assignment, I have to really think it over, ponder, wonder, realize how I am perceived. I do know that I am many things, including giving, sincere, weak, vulnerable, scared, sad, lost, alone, supportive, etc.
But to sum me up in ONE WORD, is hard to come to terms with. Must think this through.
Not enough coffee in system yet to complete this task, sooooooooooooooooooooooooo
PUCKER UP BUTTERCUP, it certainly is Monday
Always, Irene

Anonymous said...

Love this mental gymnastics opportunity. I selected the word "Capable". I think others see me the smae way. There are some things I cannot do but I am able to see that they get done. Most challenges are a piece of cake. It is wonderful to be able to trust myself to find solutions to problems, know the world is complex and not fear it, take charge of difficult situations with poise etc. Yup, Capable it is. Feels right. Thanks for the task doc. Good way to start off this week.

Cathy Madden said...

Well, you see, there was a time I thought I was weak in spirit but when life really began to happen I found out quite the contrary. I am STRONG! Now don't get me wrong, there are moments I want to curl up and dig a whole but nope, I am STRONG! I've weathered many a storm and come out stronger on the other side. A wise woman told me once that everytime I went through the fire it was like firing metal which becomes stronger everytime it's put in the fire and the hotter it is the stronger it gets. Well, not that I would have chosen this road but it's what God has allowed me to travel. No, I don't have cancer, I haven't lost a parent or sibling but believe me my husband and children have taken me through the fire. I do not lean on my own understanding but my strength comes from a higher power who I believe to be God. STRENGTH has served me well and I pray continues to as I meet each day but knowing where it comes from will never fail me.

Anonymous said...

There are many words to describe me. I will start out with I am dependable. Give me a task and I will get it done. I really get a little peeved when I ask for someone to do something for me, for a cause etc. and they dont come thru. Dont know if they are lazy, forgetful or just want say I dont want to do this. I am also strong, but can be very weak in spirit. I spent a lot of my life not secure with life and all of its problems. Most people thought I was stronger than what I was. I am now more secure with a loving family who sometimes tries your every nerve. I have found when this happens it works for me to distant myself from anyone who does not enjoy life and wants to pull me down to their feelings. I am sure some people feel the same about me. I reacognize my faults and weakness and try to improve them each day. God and family are always in my heart and prayer helps. I am rambling, so go have a great day.

Anonymous said...

I select loyal...it's true, of all the things I am in this world, good and bad...I am loyal. However when you are loyal, sometimes you still let others down, and they let you down as well, no matter how loyal you are...it's life, and if you don't stay out mowing the yard in extreme heat you'll be loyal too! (To your fans that is) Take care Doc!

viridian.com/greendays said...

definately take Sunday off, and for mowing in that weather ????honestly did you bump your head on a rock? I hope BB KICKED YOU A.... FOR THAT MOVE. AS FOR TODAYS BLOG PICTURE, WHY DON'T YA JUST STICK A KNIFE IN MY HEART

Chris said...

one word huh?--how about warrior? as in strong, not so silent, and fiercely loyal. I do enjoy trying to describe myself in one word--I'm not sure it can be done tho--Doc I hope you're feeling better. Please don't pull a Forrest Gump again! That's why there are teenagers in the world....:)

Anonymous said...

One word hey, I have so many
facets that this is very challenging to me...
After a lot of thinking... I will pick...
SPONTANEOUS !!
Good or bad, that's me... has many
definitions and projects many reactions,
but that sums me up pretty well, as I'm a
go with the flow, do whateva, think whateva,
kind of peep.
Interesting question, Doc. So do hope you
are feeling much better today...
May the Angels sleep in our hearts tonite...
sign me,
A....