Friday, March 12, 2010

HOW TO: Pay It Forward, The Healing Heartaches Movement ~


Passion, Kindness, Love
One Beat At A Time
The Healing Heartaches Movement
Healing-Ways



KIND DEEDS & PAYING IT FORWARD:



How easy is it to do a kind deed, using the healing-ways, you have heard me think out loud about here? Takes little effort but can mean the world to the recipient. Remember a few weeks ago when we heard from so many readers that they were praying for some kind soul to shovel their snow? And the readers that expressed how grateful they were when neighbors brought their newspapers up to the door?


Those were kind deeds. Today, let each of us do one kind deed. Now we here of J.Grusso, talking about starting a Healing Heartaches Movement of sorts! From Apex NC starting a book club, to now in Columbia MD wanting to start a "Pay It Forward Healing Heartaches Movement" ... I am going to be very busy... And of course we have Chris in NY telling all the Oncologists, surgeons and Nurses about Healing Heartaches, Stories of Loss and Life... one would think that she would busy with other things right now ~

But for this morning; maybe we can all start small and work tall so to speak... I have just returned to my hotel room from searching for coffee; started small by holding the door for one gentleman; and then the elevator for another... cost me nothing but sure got a gratitude smile for those that were trying to manage both~ so it got me to thinkin:


Open the door for someone. Help someone put the buggy away at the grocery store.


Mow someone’s yard while they are away on vacation. The trick is to do it without the need for a return kindness, no quid pro quo. Just do it because you can. Because you are the kind of person who wants in some small way to bring a smile to someone’s day.






It’s a feel good moment for you and a little prayer answered for your neighbor. We CAN make the world kinder, better place. It starts with one gesture.




Recently a friend of mine was greeted by a stranger with the remark “Pleased to meet you” My friend responded with “Why”. A social commentary on the pat, meaningless things we say that we really don’t mean. When I asked about my friend’s response she said… “Well, why would he have thought he was pleased to meet me” We hadn’t spoken a word to each other. I prefer he had said that after we interacted. If indeed he had been “pleased” to have met me.” OK, so here I am talking about kind deeds, kind words, social graces and I had to stop and think about that response.


You know, someone asks “How are you” but really doesn’t want a real answer. They are just using meaningless social greetings. So I will sit with that and think about how I want to greet the next person I encounter. With a “how are you, (please don’t really tell me) or maybe with a response more personal, more real. Don’t know yet what that might be but have decided to give it a whirl.


So I will smile as usual but try to connect, really connect with a heartfelt greeting. I’ll let you know how it goes. What works for you? Have you been greeted and felt you were just going through the motions? I know that I have. I do think that I would like to elevate each encounter a bit. Give a real sincere thank you in the checkout line, or find a way to say hello, in a way that the other person feels that it is not “just obligatory”.


So lets get out there and greet, really connect with people. Be kind, do kind deeds, thoughtful gestures. Do it from the heart, not unthinkingly. Put some good energy out there. Make it a better, kinder, warmer world. One smile at time, one breath at a time.  Joan has a great idea on our new movement... wave at that person in the car~ odds are they will look at you "perplexed" and probably spend most of the day wondering "where do I know that person from", and if you add a smile to the wave you will probably really throw them in a spin; but you may just make their day.

For the reader that is unsure of "pay if forward"... next time at McDonald's' ... next time on a toll booth... pay for both yours and the one behind you... drive away slowly and glance in your rear view mirror about the time the person lets them know that you've taken care of it~! That is "paying it forward! Hopefully they will do the same thing!

Wherever you are and whatever you are doing today, I sure hope it is a great day... I really hope that something special may happen something life affirming or even life changing is happening!

Keeping the fire burning brightly for so many today, you just never will really know just how brightly :)


Walk In Beauty,

DrSES

http://www.drsherryeshowalter.com/

Healing Heartaches, Stories of Loss and Life

NOW Available at Amazon, Borders bbotw.com
call Borders and ask them to "put it in the stores for you!"
also leave your reviews on their sites please...

8 comments:

Irene said...

Beautiful flowers in the picture this morning.
Pay it forward, yes, Dr. SES, open a door, smile, all those things count in a big way for those who don't see it coming from a stranger, a shopper in line, a car in the toll
booth or drive-thru.
A miserable dreary day here in Florida.
MAKE IT COUNT ! Losing an hour, gaining sun !
Have a great weekend, all. DYS DRSES IRM

Anonymous said...

Good ideas and thought on a very dreary day in Florida. I am sure the sun is shinning somewhere and soon to be in Fl.. You are so right about the kindness people can do. For me I like to talk and am constantly probed by a 15yr. old that I talk to much to everyone. I like to pay for someones meal in a drive thru, pick up mail for older or young people who are in need. Phone calls work, I call some of my friends that are going thru health issues, lonliness and just not feeling good about life. I can guarantee you before the conversation is over I find some crazy thing to say that will get them laughing and yes laughing is the best medicene. Lets all Pay it Forward. It is not hard to find someone who needs to hear your kind words and funny laughter. Buy a gift for someone in the Nursing Home, take donuts to some of your aerobatic class and then they complain in a friendly way, how can we lose weight with you bringing candy or donuts. Believe me this makes them happy, but dont do it everyday. Blessings to all who are going thru challenges in life.

Anonymous said...

♥ Love the photo - what passionate flowers they are - teaching us to be more passionate ♥

Anonymous said...

Pay it forward and make that phone call you should make and check on the loved ones who are awaiting the call. Be ready when you do the Pay it Forward or Random Acts of Kindness when you approach one who does not think they need your kindness. I saw a grey headed woman struggling with a shopping cart and ask if I could put the cart back. She said to me you look as old as me, I can put my own shopping cart back. I smiled at her and thought I sure hope I am not that old and grouchy. She used some stronger words, but being the kind grey headed person I will keep it clean. Have a happy rainy day.

Anonymous said...

Is "Pay It Forward" the same as the "Marble Jar?"
I like giving marbles....more than I like "paying."

chris said...

paying it forward adds to your marbles-keeps you connected to others by doing some random act of kindness for someone you don't know and no one else will ever know. that adds to the marbles. so that when someone tries to take some marbles away, you have more than enough to keep your cup full. besides it makes you feel good about yourself. to me this not so much as paying it forward, but common decency toward your fellow human being. Think of how the world would be if that happened all over the world!

Anonymous said...

This blog and comments are best contemplated whilst sipping a cup of passion flower tea.

Lots to ponder.
Holding all in prayer

Anonymous said...

Remember Balance - it is possible to be too nice, too kind, too compassionate, too thoughtful. One should not babysit children for 8 - 10 hours a day for free or feed children just because someones says they are broke and starving. Sometimes our hearts are too big. Some need to "treat their neighbors as themselves," ~ others need to "treat themselves as well as they treat their neighbors."
When the ice cream truck appears, the whole neighborhood should not expect you to foot the cost. Pay it forward with balance and not always money. Balance in all things, yes there is lots to ponder. Sweet Dreams to all.