Friday, March 5, 2010

How Why When ~ Healing Heartaches Across The Wind With Thoughts


Wilma P Mankiller

Chief Of The Cherokee
Warrior, Wife, Mother, Grandmother,
Friend, Sister, Advocate
MisChief-Maker, Author, Hero,
"Weaver of the Great Threads blending
History, Wisdom and Cultures together~
Wado!"

~ ~ ~

And morning comes softly with so many thoughts.

Thoughts of so many as I await the days break through the Spanish Moss this morning, thoughts of gratitude, thoughts of sadness and joy and prayers being sent with the winds to those that need and will feel and know they are in our hearts and on our minds! Prayers for a happy and pain-free Friday for our beloved Wilma Mankiller on this early morning, along with mindful gratitude for all that she is and has always been to so many.
~ ~ ~
And so I will let you know as we are becoming those brilliant and beautiful threads of community here;
Chris is heading North to be with her family and to see a top-notch Oncologist that her daughter has lined up for her! Her daughter has taken the "proverbial lead" and is running like a wild but focused mustang getting things ready for her Mom. Chris is a strong woman, a warrior in her own right; SHE has decided to travel North, to fight her battle with Breast Cancer that has just been diagnosed. She is strong, her faith in humanity strengthened even more since her brief but intense meeting with the Walmart Angel that she shared in her comments and was immediately interpreted by so many!
Her conviction was made stronger still by all the thoughts, well wishes and comments made right here on this page, by YOU... those who read this page and have reached out from your hearts ~ ~ ~ from parts unknown to Chris; your intentions clear, your hearts filled with honest caring and concern and your prayers and strength being felt with each word. She is honored and she is fueled by your caring and soaring like an eagle!
Chris has on her warpaint ~ and she knows deep in her heart that she is not alone, she knows and she "gets it" that we all are with her. Blessings to you Chris, we will be with you each step and beat of the drum.

~ ~ ~
FIRM: Stand strong, stay FIRM, laugh often and smile much! Good to hear you are wearing your feathers and dancing while playing the flute!
***
Jeanne, congrats! No more treatment!!!
CANCER-FREE
LIVE - LOVE - LAUGH - PLAY LIKE A CHILD
(*)
COB IS COMIN TO FL MAR 10!!! YAY!!!
<3 (wish I knew how to make those fancy artworks)


~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~

Wilma Mankiller sent a letter to many yesterday. I would like to share that with all of you here:

"I want my family and friends to know that I am mentally and spiritually prepared for this journey; a journey that all human beings will take at one time or another. I learned a long time ago that I can't control the challenges the Creator sends my way but I can control the way I think about them and deal with them. On balance, I have been blessed with an extraordinarily rich and wonderful life, filled with incredible experiences. And I am grateful to have a support team composed of loving family and friends. I will be spending my time with my family and close friends and engaging in activities I enjoy. It's been my privilege to meet and be touched by thousands of people in my life and I regret not being able to deliver this message personally to so many of you."

For those who didn't read yesterday's blog, Wilma Mankiller was the first female chief of the Cherokee Nation and a Presidential Medal of Freedom winner, she has stage IV pancreatic cancer, her husband confirmed Tuesday. Wilma was principal chief from 1985 until 1995, when she stepped down because of health problems.
~^^~
Today Wilma is having a good day; a day with family and friends. She is blessed by this day, enjoying each moment of it, each sound, each laugh, each experience.
Mankiller received many honors along the way, through the journey for women, for the Cherokee people ~ She fought many fights for women and rights of all.
~ ~ ~
"We've had daunting problems in many critical areas, but I believe in the old Cherokee injunction to "be of a good mind." {Wilma Mankiller}Today it's called positive thinking, and positive thinking, is positive mental attitude and positive mental attitude is:
body-mind-spirit connection!

Body-Mind_Spirit Connection is what provides us with the ability to read, to be mindful to absorb each moment each day and to give thanks...
And So It Is!

It was in the times before the Cherokee learned the ways of others extraordinary respect was paid to women... As Wilma reminded us and as the Elders would tell us, when a man married, he took up residence with the clan of his wife! The women of each of the seven clans elected their own leaders... and the leaders would convene the women's council and sometimes they would raise their voices in judgment to over-step the authority of the chiefs when need be!!!
So there you go... a little Cherokee history for the reader who asked of last night!
But look around in your communities of today . . .
Do you see that in today's' workings?
The Chamber of Commerce perhaps?
The matriarch in your families?
Your community leaders . . .
Who is stepping in to lead and heal the Heartaches?

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

So many thoughts today, so many whispers on the wind...

Blessings to all who enter here.

As we continue to look for life around the leaves and grasses of winter; as we look for sun to warm and soften the hard earth, let us always remember, the words of Jenny Leading Cloud, White River Sioux
"We Indians think of the earth and the whole Universe as a never-ending circle, and in this circle man is just another animal. The buffalo and the coyote are our brothers, the birds our cousins. Even the tiniest ant, even a louse, even the
SMALLEST FLOWER YOU CAN
 FIND ~ THEY ARE ALL RELATIVES."

As I end this for the morning, I am hearing her strong in my mind... Gotta go turn on the stereo or Youtube.com and find Dolly to sing it...
It is so fitting for right now it seems:

Can you guess what song I am hearing in my head?


To all of you:

Wherever you are,
Whatever life is handing you,
May you
Walk In Beauty
Each Moment
Each Day
With
Amazing
Grace


DRSES

Healing Heartaches, Stories of Loss and Life


Healing Heartaches Inspired Jewelry by Joan
In the search bar type: healing heartaches
and then just look for jgrusso2010 to see her beautiful jewelry!

As always, I am honored by your comments, enjoy them all! Please use the "moccasin telegraph" aka, word of mouth and tell all who will listen about:
Healing Heartaches!


14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Morning to all. Chris, we travel with you inspirit. You have our support and love. What a beautiful message in Wilma Mankillers letter. A woman of strength and a peaceful heart. Thank's Dr SES for the bio. Congrats Jeannie. What great news. I don't know you but know you are part of this small community of deeply caring readers. From all of us, What wonderful news.

Irene said...

Today:
To Mankiller & "MissChiefMaker" I wish you peace on the journey ahead. My heart is with you & yours.
Chris: much luck ahead. Daughters are awesome and a blessing. I know this, but have none, I was one...........
Jeanne: great news keep up the good reports.
Irene: you should be happy you go to
PHYSICAL THERAPY and not CHEMO therapy.
Shut up and enjoy the ride !
This day, week's end, I want to send my wishes across the land to all who read, listen, understand and accept me each day.
I will do my best, Dr. SES I have my warpaint on, flute in my HEAD and feathers blowing in the cold wind of Florida.
Love, F I R M

Anonymous said...

Reading about Mankiller puts things in perspective for me, as I hope it does for others. Everyone has challenges..the key is to focus not on what you need, but what you have. I have spent the last couple of weeks being terribly busy, stressed, and challenged. Then I look at it from a different perspective. I have a lot of stress at work...but I have a job. I am thankful. I have a lot of stress dealing with a rental property I own....but I own a 2nd home when there are those without a place to live. I am thankful. I am preparing for my husband to be gone for 4 months on a tour with his quartet...and stressed about taking on the temporary role of a single parent of a teenager. There are those for whom the role is not temporary, and who do not have a loving spouse who will return in as little as 4 months. I am thankful.

I play the drums in rhythm with my heartbeat and the pulse of the Universe around me...and I am thankful

Vicki said...

Sherry,
Your words speak volumns especially to those who seem to lose focus on this journey we each have...
My prayers go out to Chris....keep the faith....& your eyes to the sky...
Jeanne...I knew you would beat it! You have alot left to do...including keeping Larry in line!
Tammy Stansell...I know you are in the hospital & pray for a good outcome...you are such a positive influence to all who come in contact with you!
Great blog as usual Sherry...get over your cold!
I am thankful for you Sherry!

Anonymous said...

Not sure what song you are hearing, But I am hearing Amazing Grace.
I have tears streaming down but face, lots of tears. Tears of sadness for all the struggles we encounter, but more of my teardrops are like the morning dew on the flowers. Tears of joy and gratitude for this wonderful community.
Sometimes music and tears says what words cannot.
♥ sing like no one is listening
♥ dance as well as your health allows
♥ look for that itty bitty tiny flower that some people call weeds
♥ Cherish this day

Anonymous said...

OH what beautiful comments today. There are so many loving, caring people in the world. We are thankful for them and for all the people who are suffering. Reading about them makes each of us sit up and think how lucky we are surrounded with our Angels. Dance, sing and smell the roses(especially if they are yellow) or really any other color. Thank you Dr. SES.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful community we are growing here!

After taking time to hold all in prayer and visit with the dandelions ( they are friends, not weeds...and their roots are good for one's liver ) I began to open my emails.

If, you happen to get one from Oprahs Book Club, open it and suggest this book. Wrote a different review there. And gave ALL the contact info. Someone may listen if more of us suggest this book.

Ended that review differently, "What Elisabeth Kubler Ross did for those who were dying, Dr. Sherry E. Showalter continues to do for those who are left behind."

There just happened to be a discussion going on there about which animal totems have come to you ( A New Earth )

So...sometimes Geese fly, sometimes they swim, and sometimes they simply walk the earth.

Could use some more geese in my formation...so please suggest this book to Oprahs Book Club.
❀¸.•*¨ƸӜƷ
Thanks & blessings to all
from one of the geese

DrSES said...

"Wado" my feathered and most charming of the winged creatures on this chilly blustery day in Sunny Florida!

Hello World of those who enter here,

Are you listening Asheville? We ARe HERE... we are Warriors, WE ARE HERE... OUR MESSAGES OF HOPE AND JOY AND LAUGHTER THROUGH TEARS ARE STRONG, OUR VISIONS OF RAINBOWS AFTER THE STORMS ARE MAGNIFICENT....

To all who find their way here... I must tell you this blog is growing into its own circle of community, its drum beating with a sound that echoes through the generations, to the ancestors who are coming forth with their messages of strength in beauty, of power of warriors remembered and of honoring the earth and all living things, all who are and have ever been growing togther on this page of togetherness in strength, in sorrow, in joy and amazing grace .... Like an Eagle When She Flies"

Soar On, Dance On, Live Strong, My Heart Is Full ~ Healing Heartaches, Stories of Loss and Life, Stories of Hope and Healing Ways ~ Wado

chris said...

I am taking all your prayers and thoughts wrapping them around me like a soft velvet blanket--thank you seems so inadequate but WADO sounds good. I have been singing to myself--(if it was out loud, they would put me in the funny bin! No voice at all for singing) "In the arms of the Angels" you all are angels to me.....
As for Wilma, I'm sure she is feeling the love and warmth from all-she too has been loved by the angels.

Anonymous said...

Keep singing, chris.
Just like you feel our prayers,
we hear your voice,
and we like those who sing to a different tune,
Takes courage to sing, you are an inspiration

Anonymous said...

...oooO..............
....(....)...Oooo....
.....\..(....(....).....
......\_)....)../......
.............(_/.......
even though angels have wings,
they still remember how to WALK beside us

Anonymous said...

Speechless... but thoughts prayers, faith strength, love. kindness, peace and joy be in each and every one of us...LIFE is good, worth the battle! So much for speechless...

Anonymous said...

Parts of Healing Heartaches are in big black bold letters:
"WHO YOU ARE IS NOT WHO YOU HAVE BEEN, AND YOU CAN'T GO BACK THERE AGAIN."

I needed Nature, my very best friend who always nurtures me to "get it."

the monarch cannot go back to the cozy cocoon,
the rose cannot go back to the bud,
the robin cannot retreat to the pretty blue egg,
the raindrops cannot flow back to the clouds,
each sliver of grass cannot inch down into the earth,
the smoke cannot return to the fire.

Are they sad they cannot go back?

Food for thought this weekend..............

Anonymous said...

Hope those who need to rest this weekend, do so.
Even warriors need their rest.

♥-:¦:-•*'''''*•-:¦:-•:*♥*:-•:*'''''*:•-:¦:♥
rest, refuel, regenerate, take care of YOU
♥-:¦:-•*'''''*•-:¦:-•:*♥*:-•:*'''''*:•-:¦:♥